General computer talk/advice

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by BlueScreen, Jan 25, 2015.

1. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

actually, no, the amd apu outperforms the pentium in, by a good 22% even (and since it's not an AMD FX CPU, it's not using shared floating point units which means it's single threaded performance is better then an amd fx 8350, not like there going to be playing beamng anyway, they aren't really into that kind of thing)

while it's not near as good an overclocker, my siblings obviously aren't going to be overclocking (heck, even i don't know how to do that, of course i don't have a pc that supports it, but still)

gpu outperforms the iGpu in the apu yes, but the gpu in my siblings current pc is worse then MY GPU, you know something's bad when it get's outperformed by an intel hd 2500 so even the iGpu in the APU is way way way better then what they currently use, and they most certainly don't care about having max settings or even high since they never really complain about graphics quality or FPS

i chose an H440 because i knew they would like in terms of looks, and i can hide the PSU and wires and such (and i can tell you right now that the source 210 is not something they would like in terms of looks, and no PSU shroud or whatever that part is called on the h440)

2. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Still, Pentium is easily upgradable to a 4690K. And GPU > case, if your siblings think otherwise they should not own a gaming PC.

3. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

4. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Don't you just love how the motherboard costs twice as much as the CPU... ;)

5. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Good build.

It's a great board and supports high end i5/i7 CPUs. Also great for overclocking.

6. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

That board can be swapped for the Z97-AR, the nice silver one with no video outs. Cheaper. Change it and get a GTX 960. About the same price then.

7. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

What? The Z97-E is the cheapest ASUS Z97 board, the AR is $30 more.

8. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

no thanks, i'll keep the igpu useable as a backup gpu, the 750ti is more then enough for my siblings anyway with the games they play

9. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

What games do said siblings play?

10. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

minecraft, roblox, NFSU2, besiege, distance, gmod, hl2 with graphics mods such as cinematic mod 2013, assetto corsa

probably more i'm not thinking of

11. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

Oh, didn't realize. :/

12. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

f051fb3caa.jpg

YES, 16 MEGABYTES, now i can store a few more pictures, maybe a small video or two

13. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Pfft. I have a 16MB SD card. Same space, but much smaller. Came with my super duper powerful Palm Tungsten T.

14. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

I went to that link, it's a 750GB drive with a 16MB cache. They forgot the most important part.

15. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

i know :/

it's called a joke

16. Kitteh5

Kitteh5
    Expand Collapse

I got the joke :L

17. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Quick question: What would be the best 100-128GB SSD in terms of performance and price?

18. S54B32

S54B32
    Expand Collapse

I got my motherboard, case, and CD drive in the mail today. I spent the last few hours taking the parts out of my current machine and putting them in my new case. It turns out that the current CPU cooler isn't really compatible with this motherboard, and I forgot to order one. :rolleyes: Going to head to Fry's Electronics after school and hopefully finish putting it together, along with 91% Isopryopyl Alcohol, and some thermal paste. This is the first time I've ever built a computer, so excuse the rather poor cable management, and other visible mistakes I most likely made. The motherboard is a MSI Z97 Gaming 7, and the case is a Corsair Carbide 200r for anyone that's wondering.

Attached Files:

• IMG_3556.JPG
    • IMG_3559.JPG
  19. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

I made a spreadsheet with an inventory of all my old PC parts. Including what's currently in my second PC (it's part of the stock since I'll replace it when I find something better), I have 5 boards, 7 CPUs, 3 graphics cards, 6 hard drives, 8 CD/DVD drives, 4 floppy drives, 4 PSUs, 4 coolers, 11 DDR RAM sticks, a sound card, and 2 CRT monitors. And a few more stuff around (mostly cables and stuff).

- - - Updated - - -

MSI boards look so... Uncomfortably clean. ASUS boards are full of stuff all over the thing and it just makes them look more solid. I like that.
    Still, gotta love those heatsinks. Only second to ASUS' Z97-AR (I love the round thing but hate gold, AR is silver, so bootiful).
    And it's a pretty nice motherboard.

20. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

I can overclock higher than the stock GPU speeds of my laptop. With a lower voltage than stock. :|

nvidia_20150311_231310.png

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice