General Car Discussion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by HadACoolName, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Nathan 03

Nathan 03
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I've always thought a Lorry was the British name for a Truck

2. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

To be fair, we say both here, regardless of what the vehicle actually is. There's meant to be a difference, but it's easier to just say whatever comes to mind first

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nathan 03

Nathan 03
    Expand Collapse

Yep. I usually use Lorry but sometimes I use truck. It doesn't made a difference, people know what you're talking about.

4. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Americanisms, Americanisms everywhere :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

0-60 in 5 seconds isn't insanely fast for a semi, ICE ones can go really fast, too. Tractor units are in fact much faster than some of you might think.

6. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

That Roadster's capabilities genuinely make me sad inside, as do the truck's fast charging. Go on Elon, fly off to Mars and don't hurry back!

I guess the best we can hope is that won't be able to pull this stuff off in reality. I mean, come on, 250MPH from an electric car? They're well known for crummy top ends thanks to the way their power/torque curves work and their tendency to eat gearboxes. Of course, maybe after the Model X and Model 3 disasters, he figures he can save the company by selling an ultra-expensive, ultra-high-profit-margin electric hypercar to rich celebrities who want people to think they care about the environment.

7. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

But the truck will fail if he where to sell it as a high price truck mostly because in the American semi market it's a bad idea to make a luxury semi mostly because it's useless and would be really expensive, a normal brand new semi cost about $100,000 USD (from what I seen in the Truck Paper) so try imagine how high the price would be for it, and when was a luxury pickup was successful oh that's right never.

8. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

They quite clearly addressed this:

Drivetrain is guaranteed for 1 million miles, and more importantly:
    Screenshot-2017-11-1832TeslaSemitruckandRoadstereventin9minutes-YouTube.png
    They also guarantee the electricity price.

For anyone interested in the Tesla Roadsters potential competition: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/11/begun-the-electric-hypercar-performance-war-has/
    --- Post updated ---
    Lucid have already done 235.4mph with their concept luxury EV. Now admittedly it was stripped out with a roll cage fitted. But it still shows that EV's can go that fast. So its very possible that the Roadster could exceed 250mph. Tesla (and Elon's companies in general) have a pretty good reputation for hitting stated performance specs. Even if they barely ever meet a manufacturing deadline.

9. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

Dude the International garbage truck (add some rust here and there and paint it little blue and you would have a match) me and my dad drive to the dump in every Saturday have more than million miles, it isn't a new or impressing thing at all.
    Anyways here's a AE86 battle car and it's converted to run off upload_2017-11-17_19-37-28.png

10. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Yes, and all cars are immediately thrown in the compactor after the drivetrain guarantee is up...
    It is literally impossible for a vehicle to exceed that value by any amount whatsoever.

11. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

No that thing is still running the drivetrain is great it's just the cheap 90's tech in that breaks all the time but any cars from the 90's with technology in it will break.

12. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I give up. It's been far too long since I last had the pleasure of any form of intelligent discussion on here.

• Agree Agree x 7
  13. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

You and I both, mate. It's a shame, intelligent discussion used to be... relatively not impossible to find. I've just given up at this point.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

The maturity level of this forum has certainly dropped a lot over the past months to be honest...

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Nathan 03

Nathan 03
    Expand Collapse

I know I'm new(ish) but I have looking at the forums for ages and clearly the IQ of a typical Beamng Forum user seems to have dropped, as has a basic understanding of the rules.

16. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

Especially on Vehicle Suggestions the last fellow post on that I saw on that was suggesting real cars without a fake name or "I would like a *random car brand* like car for Beamng".

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Codeslamer

Codeslamer
    Expand Collapse

Hey! We're not all that bad! I could probably compete on 'are you smarter than a 5 year old'. Not win mind you, but you know. It's the attempt that counts

• Like Like x 3
  18. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

I dont think that the tesla truck will catch on in europe. First its because its longer than a normal lorry as it has a hood wich means that you have to get a shorter trailer wich in return means that you cant carry as much it makes the truck alot more expensive per kilometer. Also a electric truck probably is more expensive than a diesel truck so it needs to be alot cheaper per km wich it isnt as you cant carry as much with it also why do you need such a fast truck a normal one can be fast enough

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

This. And, in most european countries, the lack of a proper charging infrastructure won't help either.

Great proof of concept though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Nathan 03

Nathan 03
    Expand Collapse

I think as Teslas and other electric cars get more common in Europe more charging points will be made and if the Tesla Semi is priced right it could be a success.

• Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice