1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Game won't open

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by RoRlover1100, Jul 15, 2014.

1. RoRlover1100

RoRlover1100
    Expand Collapse

Hi, I tried updating BeamNG and got the error 'unable to download version.txt' so I come here, read the bit at the top and re-installed the game. But now when I try to run it I get an error. I've tried installing it twice and the same thing happens. Pic in attachments. Please help! Thanks!

Attached Files:

• BeamNG error.png
  2. Braindead

Braindead
    Expand Collapse

3. msurf15

msurf15
    Expand Collapse

why do people have to be so stupid?

Capture.PNG duh

4. Braindead

Braindead
    Expand Collapse

Go read the actual post before making assumptions...
    "so I come here, read the bit at the top and re-installed the game. But now when I try to run it I get an error."

Who sounds stupid now?

5. msurf15

msurf15
    Expand Collapse

how about you go read the actual post and take a closer look at the picture... obviously there are not enough files in the folder...

this is how its supposed to look: Capture.PNG there are even more files farther down... who sounds stupid now?

6. Braindead

Braindead
    Expand Collapse

*Facepalm*
    No sh*t there isn't enough files genius. He said he downloaded the new updater from the top of the page...
    He doesn't have the unable to download version.txt problem anymore, his updater hasn't downloaded all the files. That is the problem. So, to clarify, you still sound stupid.

@OP, have you tried running the updater after downloading it? My updater downloaded the whole game so I assumed you would have tried. If you haven't, then do. ;)

7. msurf15

msurf15
    Expand Collapse

so now your calling me stupid?

8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Tbh, everyone but the OP could classify as stupid.

OP. Top of that folder is a folder called alpha prerace. The game is installed in there. Open that folder and run the application in there.

9. RoRlover1100

RoRlover1100
    Expand Collapse

@msurf15 - Read the whole post.

OT: I tried running the updater and ran BeamNG in the alpha prerace, and the errors are in the attachments. Updater first, then running in other folder.

And before msurf15 says something like 'close all apps duh' about the updater error, it happens when nothing is open too, and what else would want to use the BeamNG updater?

Attached Files:

• BeamNG error 3.png
    • BeamNG error 2.png
  10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Uninstall the game. Reinstall it with antivirus turned off. Several common antivirus softwares (notably, mcafee, avira and norton) are known to be interfering with the update process and causing both of the errors you see below.

11. msurf15

msurf15
    Expand Collapse

sorry for being the enemy

12. RoRlover1100

RoRlover1100
    Expand Collapse

This may sound stupid, but how do I turn off McAfee? I've always had Norton on my other computers/laptops, so I'm not that sure how to use McAfee.

13. msurf15

msurf15
    Expand Collapse

go to the control panel and turn off the antivirus

14. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

I've never used McAfee before, but I'd assume you can just right click on its Tray icon down by the system clock and temporarily disable it that way, like almost every other AV I've encountered. If not, Google is your friend.

15. RoRlover1100

RoRlover1100
    Expand Collapse

Got it working. Re-installed without McAfee. Thanks so much for your help guys, I really appreciate it. :)

P.S - I love the update! The menu is cool, it's really easy to put new cars and change the colour etc and AI is fun, and the pigeon is just hilarious.

#15 RoRlover1100, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice