1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Game crashes with a license plate mod

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by machine, Nov 20, 2015.

1. machine

machine
    Expand Collapse

So I tried to make a lisence plate mod with custom mesh and texture. Everything worked fine (the mesh loaded but it had the original texture) until I put the correct file name and path to the material file. Now when I select the modified license plate the game crashes.

So is there a problem with the material file? I double checked that the material name was right when I exported it from blender.

Attached Files:

2. machine

machine
    Expand Collapse

Well, I managed to solve the problem myself. Turned out that the problem wasn't in the material file but that the game crashes for some reason when the texture was so wide. When I made the texture as wide as the original license plate texture it works fine. Weird.

3. yolo-phil

yolo-phil
    Expand Collapse

Iluminati confirmed?

4. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

Ah. I see...
    Code:
    GFXD3D11TextureManager::_createTexture - Error creating 2D texture
    45.69433|E|GFXD3D11TextureManager::_innerCreateTexture|CreateTexture2D: UINT Width 1965, UINT Height 416, UINT MipLevels 1, UINT ArraySize 1; DXGI_FORMAT Format 77, UINT SampleDesc.Count 1, UINT SampleDesc.Quality 0, D3D11_USAGE Usage 0, UINT BindFlags 8, UINT CPUAccessFlags 0, UINT MiscFlags 0
    The game doesn't seem to like textures with dimensions that aren't even numbers.

#4 mumboking, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  5. machine

machine
    Expand Collapse

-deleted because of misunderstanding-

#5 machine, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

General rule of thumb for any textures drawn with OpenGL or DirectX (so basically all video games) and even alot of software 3d renderers is that they should only be resolutions in a power of 2.
    The powers of 2 are as follows:
    1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096 etc etc, they just double each time.

Yes sometimes content pipelines will accept otherwise, but they dont always like to.

7. machine

machine
    Expand Collapse

Well, the resolution I tried just a moment ago was 1922x416 but it still crashed.

8. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

is 1922 a power of 2? No it is not. It would have to be 2048 as the nearest alternative.

Is 416 a power of 2? No it is not. It would have to be 512 as the nearest alternative.

Do find it amusing that you've just quoted a list of allowable resolutions, then said you're not using them and complained it crashes.

9. machine

machine
    Expand Collapse

Oh, sorry! :p Should have paid more attention to what you said because I thought you were speaking about numbers that can be divided by two. :p

10. mumboking

mumboking
    Expand Collapse

I have tested a texture that's 640x480. Those aren't powers of 2 either, yet it worked.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice