1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Free Windows 10

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SHOme1289, Jun 1, 2015.

1. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

So I turned my laptop on this morning at work and in the lower right corner of my screen was a square windows logo. Clicked it, and brought me to a form that I clicked "Reserve Windows 10" and it told me that once the download is available, my computer will notify me, download and install, and its free and can be used from that point on. Is this for real? i clicked reserve just cuz lol Said it was a limited time offer...Anyone else get that? im gonna google it now.

Forbes is life:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/06/01/free-windows-10-late-and-expensive/

2. FZulley

FZulley
    Expand Collapse

Yep, MS did realize that they can't force money for an OS when there is Linux and Android on the Smartphone / Tablet side. They'd like to earn the money with their services now :) Also, after Win 10 we might see the same that happens to Android. The Version increases without having to buy anything new, or reinstalling the PC ;)

3. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

nice, well i am reserved....apparantly not everyone gets the notification/free upgrade tho? BTW, i didnt even "buy" the windows on my computer, I bought the laptop off a girl at work for 200 bucks 2 years ago (this thing still runs BNG at 30fps on low settings too lol on most maps)

4. FZulley

FZulley
    Expand Collapse

I can't remember, which Versions of Win7 and Win8 do get the free update, but I think I remember having though "Well, thats nearly everyone with an activated Version". I'm quite curious, what happens to Windows in the Future. But I can't image that it is going to be great :D

5. Braindead

Braindead
    Expand Collapse

I think you have to have Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, not sure though.

I'm not sure what to think about it all tbh. I signed up to get it for free just in case, but I love windows 7, and I certainly don't want another Vista, especially if it's made with touch screens in mind.

6. FZulley

FZulley
    Expand Collapse

I don't think that you will have a choice for long, Braindead. The world is getting smarter :D And the trend to have the same OS for each device is a trend that everybody follows. I don't see anyone considering going back to the good old Win7 UI.
    We will see, what happens. But it's definitly a big change, when looking back up to win 95 :D Maybe it's the right time, maybe not. We will see.

7. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

If you don't get the popup about Windows 10, make sure you have all the updates installed. For example, here many weren't even downloaded because listed as 'Optional'.

8. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

my updates actually dont even work, everytime it installs an update or needs to restart, the computer hangs on the black screen after it logs off, and does not automatically restart and reboot as it is supposed to...so I have to hard shut down and restart for it to come back to the log in screen, so I dont even KNOW for sure if my updates ever install...something that I have not done any research on is why my computer lags and hangs up after it logs off, kind of annoying lol computer runs awesome tho, even at OC from 1.5 to 2.4gHz, and new thermal paste, and I just added 2 extra gigs of RAM (from 4 to 6gb) so it runs even better tahn before (in terms of OS performance).

9. Kimi450

Kimi450
    Expand Collapse

10. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

apparently I got that update :eek: looks like they tried to fix some of the shit that plagued Windows8, touchscreen-focused OS is NO GOOD on a PC/Laptop, fine on smartphones. what were they thinking?!!?

11. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

Yay!
    Now I have my free Windows 10 copy reserved.
    But that Icon still hasen't gone away.
    Will it just stay there until I've upgraded to Windows 10?
    Also, will my games and stuff like that be deleted?

12. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Hopefully users with pre-installed OS'es will get it for free? Article on MSN says it's currently unknown.

13. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

I have a pre-installed OS, and I got the message for the free upgrade, so I'm guessing yes.

14. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

my windows 8.1 install was pre-installed, i got it (then immediately removed it of course) so yes, pre-installed OS's should get it for free

15. TomiL88

TomiL88
    Expand Collapse

I have all latest windows updates but I dont get the notification icon...

EDIT: Just got it :eek:

#15 TomiL88, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  16. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Got the notification to reserve. Kinda' creepy how they're doing this, almost like they are paranoid of losing market share or something.;)

17. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

I have got it on my windows 8.1 laptop, but not my windows 7 SP1. :( really sad because I use the 7 laptop a whole lot more. I've tried running the cmd file but nothing happens. (I have all Important and optional updates) any advice?

cmd error after running this code:
    Code:
    REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators" /v UpgEx | findstr UpgExif "%errorlevel%" == "0" GOTO RunGWX
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Appraiser" /v UtcOnetimeSend /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"
    :CompatCheckRunning
    schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"
    schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" | findstr Ready
    if NOT "%errorlevel%" == "0" ping localhost >nul &goto :CompatCheckRunning
    :RunGWX
    schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig"

cmd_error.PNG same thing in command prompt on administrator mode CommandPromptError.PNG

18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

You're supposed to copy that script into a .cmd file rather than writing it line by line into the console. Also read the error. Its not an error.

19. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

I did copy it into the .cmd file. and then said to run that file in cmd.

20. Roadside_Racoon

Roadside_Racoon
    Expand Collapse

I've got that here as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice