1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

FPS and multi core (different than others)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by ast5515, Aug 6, 2013.

1. ast5515

ast5515
    Expand Collapse

FPS and multi core

So the problem is my FPS. All I get is 20 FPS regardless of graphics setting, post-fx, DOF, HDR, SSAO.
    I think it's the game's fault, as only one core is being stressed and my GPU load is as visible in Afterburner OSD, 40% max. So if the game would be able to run all of my cores, I would get much more FPS. But sadly it's not happening. FPS.jpg

#1 ast5515, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  2. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

It would be useful if you could post some system specs. It sounds like your cpu may be bottle necking your gpu. Which would mean you can put the graphics options at whatever you like, the cpu cant keep up so the fps is limited by the cpu.

Also isnt 70*c a bit hot for 38% utilization?

3. ast5515

ast5515
    Expand Collapse

Core2Quad Q6600 (2,4Ghz)
    2x2Gb Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066
    GTX 560Ti factory OC edition

Yes, it's hot, but the fan is reaching it's max RPM at 65, so while it spins up, this is normal. And the room I'm in is 35C?. But this happens when the card is 50C?. And the CPU never goes above 50C?.
    And my old passive cooled 9600GT (which means it has no fan at all) was 90C? while playing and it was normal. And the critical temparture of this card is officially 100C?, but if I think about the materials used by manufacturers and the technology, it can reach 150C? without a problem. So it's not hot at all. People just have different standards for cooling. Why the hell I can't write a proper celsius degree? Forum should support WAAAAY more characters.
    EDIT: I have an idea. This CPU has 2 separate processing units each one with 2 cores. The communication between cores is working via a really short bus, which is I have no idea how many bits. I'm guessing that the bus might not be fast enough. But it's weird, because I never had FPS issues with RoR or any other game out there.

#3 ast5515, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  4. KrozMcD

KrozMcD
    Expand Collapse

I also have a Q6600, and I'm the same. I only get around 25fps regardless of what options I tweak in the game. I had it maxed out, and it was just the same as everything on low. Also, my CPU runs at 78'C while I'm playing lol, but it idles at 60'C and they are bad for running hot. I've got a GeForce GTX 460 graphics card, but I don't think it's the graphics that are the problem :/

5. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

I am pretty certain that BeamNG runs 1 car per core (or two or three... depending on how many cars you have). If your CPU is not fast enough to run 1 car on 1 core then you are going to have issues.

There is not too much you can do about that either, so you will probably have to upgrade or hope that some new optimizations are found.

6. ast5515

ast5515
    Expand Collapse

Can we get 1 car/2 cores? It would be so cool to have this option.

7. Xphome

Xphome
    Expand Collapse

I bet that would be hard to program or be inefficient but I bet they can optimize the physics. The Q6600 CPU is 6 years old, it is time to upgrade. You can't expect an CPU that old to run a physics heavy game well.

8. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

That would be cool but as the person above me said it would be a pain to program. This has been the word of the devs early in this project and in their previous one. But maybe after 6 years it is time to indulge in a new pc :)

9. ast5515

ast5515
    Expand Collapse

I know it's old. The thing that I hate about PCs is that if I wanna upgrade my CPU, I need a new PC except for case and GPU. Q6600 is LGA 775, current ones are LGA 1155 or what, so new motherboard, new motherboard=DDR3=I can buy new RAM and it's just crazy! I would be happy if I could buy CPU only. But I'm planning on building a new one next year maybe. Until that I take off hood, trunk, doors and fenders.

10. Jon

Jon
    Expand Collapse

It would indeed be cool to have, but i doubt it would fix your problem. If i where you so would i invest in a upgrade. The game will most likely not run much smoother in the future since they are going to add more features to it and other CPU demanding tasks.
    I myself was stuck with a laptop about 2 years which where able to run ROR on Low... with minimized screen. But now i'm able to run the game at highest settings without any lag and can't believe why i didn't ditch that laptop a year ago! Do yourself a favor and invest in a computer which are able to at least run it at 40 fps at avg. Lag is the most annoying and the biggest funfactor killer when it comes to gaming.

11. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Something that always surprises me is how much harder it is to play BeamNG and ror at 30fps instead of 60fps. If i am recording and cant quite get 60 while recording it drops to 30fps, i find it is much harder due to not being able to see what is happening so easily.

But your gpu is good to keep as well as your case. You should (hopefully) be able to keep the same power supply and your hard drive and cd drive will be good too. If your cpu fan has a universal mounting system that may also be good to keep.
    But yes, replacing a mobo, cpu and ram can be a pain. But ram is pretty cheap these days. The rest isn't tbh but there isn't much you can do.

12. ast5515

ast5515
    Expand Collapse

RAM is cheap at some places, but not here. Just telling: i7 2600k: 50k huf. 2x4gb ddr3 1600 ram:40k huf.
    Not too cheap I guess.

13. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Didnt realize that the price fluctuated that badly for other countries. I thought the UK was bad for overpricing (due to stupid amounts of tax [20%]).

But that is a really good price for an i7 2600k, in the uk it would be 240 gbp which is 83k huf. But then 4gbx2 ram is only 20k huf.

*Currency was translated with google*

14. bassie10

bassie10
    Expand Collapse

I have exactly the same problem with a i7 3770 and 2gb gtx 660. No matter what it always does around 25 FPS. 5 cars with high settings doesn't really lower my FPS.

15. larzyy

larzyy
    Expand Collapse

I have the same issue, I just changed my graphics settings to the lowest settings, disabled everything SSAO etc.. 20fps. I then enabled absolutely everything, and again, 20fps. I wonder what the bottleneck is..?
    System specs:
    i7 2670qm (4 cores 8 threads)
    Radeon HD6770m
    8gb DDR3 1333mhz ram

Another interesting thing is that I get around 40fps on the "Grid Map" test map on almost full settings, maybe because there are less objects to load? Smaller map? I do hope there will be further optimisations, better multi core/thread support, and better GPU support, since this is only the alpha. :D

16. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Perhaps its the ram that you are using.

Rigs of rods was pretty ram dependant, so maybe the same is true of BeamNG DRIVE. DDR2 ram is slower than ddr3 and may be causing your lag. I don't see an issue with 1333mhz DDR3 RAM but maybe your fps would be higher with 1600mhz. Perhaps you could try setting your RAM at a lower speed in the bios and see how much that effects fps?

Rigs of rods was very RAM dependant because it had to calculate a lot of things every second for each node and beam. Perhaps in BeamNG this effect could have been worsened for people using slower RAM. For referance i am using an I5 2500K and GTX560TI (overclocked) and 8gb 1600mhz corsair xms3 ram.

17. suicidal.banana

suicidal.banana
    Expand Collapse

How do i get that FPS counter? i did look for it in the plenty of debug menus but didnt come across it.
    Im also on a Q6600, and for me it at least appears to run at 30 or more fps @ 1920x1080 (it runs smoothly untill i start piling 4+ vehicles ontop of eachother) though now im curious :p

For example all these screens were made with very playable framerates for instance (also when actually simulating at fullspeed ofc, all those pics were taken with pauzes and slowmo) up to where the 3 vans drop on the others, there i got a little fps drop on impact but only on the impact (btw anybody wondering how i got the chevy rotated while not messed up, it rotated that way on its own after reaching what i assume was terminal velocity :eek:)

18. larzyy

larzyy
    Expand Collapse

I just use a program called "Fraps". :)

19. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

Natively in BeamNG:

Just press "k" and look in the top left

If you want a program to do it:

EVGA precision X - GPU overclock program, very easy to use. But fps overlay is a little more difficult
    MSI afterburner - GPU overclock program, never used it so don't know.
    Fraps - Screen recording program , very easy to use. Overlay is very simple.

So Fraps is probably the best choice for ease of use.

#19 aljowen, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  20. suicidal.banana

suicidal.banana
    Expand Collapse

Oh ok, i know fraps does it (and have fraps) but thought the thing i saw was native, guess it was the evga or msi one, my mistake & thx for the infos :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice