[For Controllers] Smooth Steering Input

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by mrwallace888, Jun 22, 2020.

1. mrwallace888

mrwallace888
    Expand Collapse

Can we smooth out the joystick steering input a bit, so it looks/feels more natural when turning? The steering wheel for example will kinda "jank" to whatever angle as I slowly move the stick further to the left or the right, and I was wondering if it was possible to slow down the steering speed and also smooth it out some to give it some better feeling.
    --- Post updated ---
    Same with camera movement, more specifically with the driver camera. It'd be nice to get that smoothed out as well and have the camera move a little slower.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Kuukkeli

Kuukkeli
    Expand Collapse

you can change the axis from the settings. Maybe try adding a curve for the axis

3. mrwallace888

mrwallace888
    Expand Collapse

I'm not talking about the linearity. Just smoother steering overall.

4. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Which joystick are you using? You can add smoother filtering by choosing a 'gamepad' or a 'keyboard' filtering type: https://wiki.beamng.com/Steering_wheel_setup#BeamNG.drive:_Steering_binding

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mullayho

Mullayho
    Expand Collapse

If you are having problems with perfomance variants only, it could be that the stering is too responsive because you are using a quick ratio steering rack. Check what part your car is equiped with in the front suspension bit of the part selection tool.

6. mrwallace888

mrwallace888
    Expand Collapse

I can use a filter sure but while it slows down my steering then half the time I can't turn enough to correct, like if I oversteer, no matter how I tweak it. But why isn't there a smart filter or something, that automatically stops turning once you start to understeer and maybe correct if you oversteer?

7. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

It's not there because it's not easy to implement in our physics engine. We've gone through several attempts at developing a steering assistant like that, but so far no approach has been able to withstand the huge variety of situations that BeamNG.drive users subject the cars (and the non-cars too) to on a daily basis.

• Like Like x 4
  8. mrwallace888

mrwallace888
    Expand Collapse

I'd look into it some more but I think it'd be better if you guys first figured out the game's tire model thing. If we can achieve that 100-percent, which I'm sure can happen, it'll just take time, it might be easier then to implement, because the physics will be a bit more understandable. :p

Then again I'm no programmer so I'm probably wrong.

9. letters

letters
    Expand Collapse

I would suggest imitating LiveForSpeed's "Analogue steer smooth". It's adjustable, in Options>Misc, from 0 to 100%, and is effective and minimally invasive. There is a free demo with all "features" but limited cars. https://www.lfs.net/downloads

#9 letters, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. mrwallace888

mrwallace888
    Expand Collapse

I have the S3 license and play it with a wheel. My God... it's been forever since I played it. :p

• Like Like x 1
  11. LoSboccacc

LoSboccacc
    Expand Collapse

dev should play forza horizon and just go implement that, it's a joy both with gamepads and keyboards

it limits steering angle based on the front and rear tire slippage. it has some tolerance, so you can really push a car into under/oversteer, but you have to insist on the control for it to happen

it's not based just on car speed and doesn't limit the steering to a flat amount and as such it works the same across different cars and doesn't artificially limit cars it isn't tuned for.

what's based on speed is steering *speed*, it has a filter so that twitchy keyboard taps get converted into a stable wheel angle proportional with the aforementioned limit and with the keyboard input and car speed

true it might have issue with six+ wheelers (having a ceneter axis, if axis are grouped into fore/atf then it'd be fine) and trucks with trailers, but at least we had *something* instead of *nothing at all*

12. letters

letters
    Expand Collapse

13. mrwallace888

mrwallace888
    Expand Collapse

Not as easy as you'd think. It's not something one can simply "port" over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Justy4WDTURBO

Justy4WDTURBO
    Expand Collapse

????

• Like Like x 1
  15. SmokingTiresGaming

SmokingTiresGaming
    Expand Collapse

Beamng is trying to replicate what is realistic, not what is easy to drive like forza. Forza is an arcade and not realistic by an means. Which means you cant really just copy such feature.
    --- Post updated ---
    Personally I dont think It would be worth the time it would take to make a proper steering assistant. Most peoply would probably just turn it off as it would ruin the fun. In my opinion just drive cars that are easier to drive before you have gotten hang of the physics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice