Flatten Grass and Bushes

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by JAM3SwGAM3S, Sep 4, 2014.

1. JAM3SwGAM3S

JAM3SwGAM3S
    Expand Collapse

Ok people, I have thoroughly looked through the forum and couldnt find anything simular to this idea.

Its not much of an idea but basically would it be possible to allow sprites to be sqaushed/flattened

This could be used for grass and bushes and could prevent it clipping through the vehicle.
    This is used in many games but i noticed it while recently playing WatchDogs.
    If you watch the video you can see as the vehicle goes over the grass and bushes they flatten and this stops it from clipping through the vehicle.
    Not only can it prevent clipping but i think that it looks pretty good.
    [webm=]http://www.beamng.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40216&d=1409866214[/webm][/QUOTE]

Attached Files:

2. BaronRedStorm

BaronRedStorm
    Expand Collapse

How come nobody came up with this idea Since BeamNG was released
    Seems like a good idea

3. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

GTA V has this, it looks great. Definitely something that should be added.

4. ithec_

ithec_
    Expand Collapse

Damn that RX-7 look good, but it sounds like shit!

Btw. great idea!

5. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Wouldn't this kill frame rates? Getting vegetation billboards to at least animate knockdowns would look seriously tacky as they are built now and making .dae static non collision bushes and shrubs animate properly
    would be FPS expensive, maybe even needing jbeam work. Would definitely be cool but I don't think a practical and realistic way could be done without killing frame rates.

6. JAM3SwGAM3S

JAM3SwGAM3S
    Expand Collapse

Couldn't the grass and bushes have some sort of LOD setup, such as instead of changing the quality but changing the ability to flatten the grass.
    There could be some sort of radius around the vehicle that loads the grass to allow it to be flattened?
    if that was added it then wouldn't have to make the knockdowns for every piece of grass within the whole map at the same time.

7. AMDFreak2006

AMDFreak2006
    Expand Collapse

This isn't a new idea. Me and others suggested this short after release of the first alpha (so November 2013 or so).

We always got the answer from the developers, that it would be to hardware intense to have a collision between vegetation and the car

Sadly, I know^^ But I don't give up hope, that they find another way to make vegetation not going through the ground of the vehicles.

8. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

That's exactly the type of scheme I was pondering when thinking about disabling vehicle collision sampling to help with frame rate issues, albeit much more complicated.
    I imagine something like this could have a negligible impact on FPS since the T3D groundcover scheme uses fairly simple lower res textures. Perhaps an LOD based tie in
    with the billboard parameters allowing them to "flatten" to the terrain co-ordinates 90 degrees. Would work great for a helicopter rotor wash but would have to be very
    precise for a vehicle tire/bumper interaction. Fun to think about!:D

9. Smeowkey

Smeowkey
    Expand Collapse

I just read some user reviews for this game. Apparently it's laughably awful in every aspect.

I can live with the grass not being flattened but I think trees and bushes would be a nice touch if they were a bit more, oh I don't know, deformable?

10. daveywaveyHD

daveywaveyHD
    Expand Collapse

I remember looking through the Dev screens and seeing a nicely Jbeamed tree by someone (i'm really sorry i can't remember who you are) with a Webm demonstration, i will look for it now. :)

EDIT!: Community-Screenshots (N/B Trees and guardrail by Jalkku). I spent ~30 mins searching for that ;-;

#10 daveywaveyHD, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  11. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I suggested this in one of the level threads or something. It was actually my very first post. :,) Thats the only reason I remember it.

12. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

There are jbeamed? static traffic signs in the Gridmap level so the tree and guardrail
    Thing is possible. I can't imagine statics by themselves would have nearly the beam
    count of a vehicle but a whole forest would probably destroy the game altogether. I want
    beamed guard rail so bad I'm thinking of firing up a kickstarter to get it done..lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice