First map - So far it's working out!

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by krallopian, Jan 9, 2019.

1. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

I've been building a map for the past couple weeks to stage some youtube videos. The whole time, "I'd like to get an 8 minute run out of this."

Been building sections at a time, and just finally tied together all the roads and tunnels and bridges and would ya LOOK AT THIS:

First complete run, the whole time thinking, "aahh will only make 6 minutes.. wait 9.. nope 7.. nope NOPE OMFG NO WAY" blamo 8 on the dot haha. Talk about, "meant to be."

Anyway I had to celebrate by telling SOMEONE that would care/understand, so here we are.
    --- Post updated ---
    So in my own little celebration of, "FINALLY GOT IT ALL LINKED" I've tossed this video up on YouTube!

Attached Files:

• TIMED.jpg
    • Like Like x 11
    • Staff Pick Staff Pick x 1
  2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

People would love this map for sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Hah, thanks! Maybe if the channel actually picks up traction and I've got a bunch of videos on there I'll release it properly. Right now it's 3gb of all sorts of textures and models and duplicates of things I'm not even using, all as a result of learning as I go etc.. but I really appreciate that =)
    --- Post updated ---
    How much better of a name than, "Castle Run" !? I mean, it's a run to the castle! So hooray name chosen.

Attached Files:

• f_009.jpg
  4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Like it a lot! Those large roads give me some good NFSHP(1) vibes :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

That's hilarious, that's all I'll think about now!! Thanks man, means a lot! =)

Also, I've been toying with signage for the past 20 minutes and having taken some signs from Hirochi Raceway I just quickly chopped these guys, will most likely be changed it was just for testing:

Attached Files:

• f_010.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  6. CN877

CN877
    Expand Collapse

Lol that's awesome, hope to see something similar in the final release ;)

7. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

I'll spend more time on a proper "map logo" I want to incorporate a castle and a speeding car or two into the "brand" throughout the map, but for now I'm leaving them as such: Also, 7am, time to call it quits for the day! o_O
    --- Post updated ---
    I just noticed in that first picture, the road lines layering is all messed up! So many of my roads keep messing up, any ideas why anyone? I set road to say layer 20, and lines to layer 15, then suddenly they're all mixed up next time I load in.

Attached Files:

• BeachLotPreview.jpg
    • f_011.jpg
  8. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Reloaded and the lines were all fixed again. Sheesh!

In other news, worked on a "proper" billboard design!
    --- Post updated ---
    Well I tried a tricky trick and it worked! The default textures were 512x512 so I upped them to 1024 annnd it worked! So now they're all being redone at 4k baby. Here's a side by side showing the difference 4k makes. Also redid the flags to a higher quality, but only 1024x1024.

Anyway, other than, "pave" some roads and, "paint" some lines I've done virtually no work on the level today because I've been hiding in photoshop instead haha!

Attached Files:

• CastleRunSign_001.jpg
    • NewSign.jpg
    • compared.jpg
    • NewFlags.jpg
    • Like Like x 6
  9. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Just found a working odometer app (Total Distance) and ran the track as best in one lane as I could.

16.0km on the dot! That makes me feel better about how long it's been taking to do guard rails and road details =D

My local grocery store is faaar away from me at 13km away.

Attached Files:

• trackLength.jpg
    • Like Like x 5
  10. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

the terrain is absolutely stunning!
    how long did that take?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Hey thanks! I built the bulk of it in World Machine - terrain maker type program, you set it up using logic based macros then it generates a heightmap to your specifications, then I imported it to the game and built the road/tunnel system, and spent about 14+ hours so far doing terrain painting. So all in all probably 30+ hours work to get it where it is terrain wise, although once it was finally built up in World Machine it only takes an hour to render it out at 8k which I use for the basics until I'm ready for the high quality diffuse map at 16k which takes about 10 hours to render out (5.2ghz 12 cores).

First sort of level design/build in the game, and first time using World Machine, it's been quite a ride!

12. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

yeah
    i can tell.
    also- if you addressing one person, using the reply button would be nice, just so there is no confusion. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Hey now look at this! =D Didn't realize it was there, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  14. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

8k may be the highest supported terrain size. 8192x8192 is largest supported AFAIK.
    If you get 16384x16384 working, let me know, I'd love to know as I have World Machine here, but haven't messed with it enough to learn it, it's rather extremely complicated to the point where I need to learn how to even do the tutorials.
    It may take a half hour or longer to import the 8k terrain into BeamNG, and that process may be bound by a single core's performance (importing that is). A 4k terrain took 12 minutes to import back on 0.7 game version about 3 years ago.
    Tiled terrain is not currently supported with collision, however, that's not to say you cannot use a non-colliding sky-box terrain, or make one out of mesh object(s) and that WILL have collision if it's not a terrain. Only the 1st terrain will have collision currently.
    Tiled terrain is on the road-map for the game and has been for years, it's just a matter of when they get to it.

Map looks beautiful. I hope I get the honors of driving it one day - you better release it :)
    --Cheers!

EDIT: Mixing opaque and transparent (decal road) textures in layers can cause an issue with improper layering since 0.7 or 0.8 game version.

15. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

That last part about the transparent and opaque, I just finally figured that out last night! Probably 2 hours before you posted, you were waiting weren't you? =D

As for the 8k terrains, I'm runnin an i7 8700k and it imported the 8k terrains in a matter of seconds, so maybe something has changed there too. I use 8 and 16k for the main diffuse layer though, and they seem to work, but with a 4km x 4km (4096) terrain, you'd need about a 1024k image before you really saw a difference haha. THAT would take a few years to generate.

I just ran the AI on, "random" and as it drove around I was in the editor with the chase camera, just planting palm trees as it went. Kinda cool team work with the ai!

16. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

I haven't been holding out on you, it dawned on me though when you had mentioned it (and I actually saw it) and so I threw it out there as it can be rather confusing, and it didn't used to be like that originally. I believe it's a bug or otherwise unintentional result, but can normally be worked around, as if the texture is opaque it will contest with textures 1 or 2 numbers lower (hence a higher layer) than it, or just end-up an absolute flicker-fest like the main-road in Kingston, Roane County TN. I really have to fix that.
    Well then they've updated and stream-lined that process quite a bit, that's always a good thing. It's been about two years since starting a brand-new one, as the last map I'm working on was a very very old unfinished map I've dusted off as it's perfect for the project. Good to know for next time.
    I used a 16k square texture to overlay onto the terrain to properly show where the road should go on Tail of The Dragon map while making it. It was like 200mb or something to that effect I believe. Only way I could have any idea of where the road should be.
    That's a darn good idea now! Just don't accidentally plant them in-front of the car while it's in motion (however, it may not have collision until you go back into 'play' mode and leave the editor, map reload not required though). You can always plant a piano in the road (just don't save the map that way, someone might get rather upset) in-stead.

• Like Like x 1
  17. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Gotta love development! Fix one thing, break two other things, fix those, break the first thing you fixed! =D

I love that you have such a history with this editor, your experience/wisdom is vastly appreciated! The flickering made me come up with a neat trick though in my castle finish area, I'll post that later on though.

As for planting pianos, what . . do you think this is A GAME!? NO TIME FOR PLAYIN' AROUND OVA HERE! =D

My 16k textures were .png's at full res and 900mb, but thankfully my new Samsung 970 Pro NVME SSD (mouthful) takes care of it as if it's a 9kb file.

• Like Like x 1
  18. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, yeah I've been on the editor just over 3 years now, it's pretty neat, but it has it's quirks and will happily throw a fit if you don't caress it just the way it desires. Yes, game development is entirely Russian Roulette a majority of the times, especially when you mod for an early-access Alpha game engine with little to no documentation. It's like batting for a pinata more days than not.
    BUT I LOVES IT *crazy insane face and drooling* ...
    Caution with using PNG, it's no longer officially supported, and non .dds format textures used may cut FPS in half. Switching one of my older maps over from PNG to .dds actually doubled FPS. They also munch up VRAM quite happily, whereas DDS is native format to what the card can use and has built in compression. I believe the newest format is BC7 format, most of my stuff is still DXT1/DXT5 format DDS though. I don't have anything that can properly output BC7 yet here. Paint dot net gets stuck trying to save it in BC7, and I haven't bothered messing about with the GNU image program on that topic yet (though I do know how to use it, and yes it makes great normal maps).
    NVME is great stuff. I think you'll enjoy that for content creation. I am thankful for being on an all SSD machine here myself. HDD's are only good for archival data, and then to be disconnected when not in use, placed in a drawer where they can't slow down the computer. This computer only does 2x speed on NVME drives, it's one of the very first boards with an M.2 port on it, it even needed a BIOS update to provide boot support for NVME itself. I don't use it though, as due to intel shenanagins you have to disable the pci-e x1 slot the Sound Blaster card is on, to use it! Sheesh! Hence my next system won't be an intel. Being on DMI 2.0 (pci-e 2.0 link to chipset) doesn't help things here either with system interconnect speeds.
    I better stop rambling - besides talking about new computer when I have a 4.2 year old computer is just sad. I refuse to spend money on needlessly upgrading it though, until it blows up or isn't worth repairing (read: not for a year or two!), but in the mean time, enjoy your new machine over there. We (I mindfully/respectfully speak for the BeamNG community as a whole) look forward to your map, and I will be around if you have any other stumbling blocks.
    It's surely fun when it finally does work though, it's such accomplishment.
    --Cheers!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

Oh man! I wish I saw this earlier!

• Like Like x 1
  20. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

I was surprised with this m.2 and the pci sharing yadda yadda (turns out m.2 is a form factor like 3.5" and 2.5" and some use SATA some use PCIe) - I too am running an 8x or 16x graphics card, and Sound Blaster (will ALWAYS run a Sound Blaster no matter how many features they cram on a mobo) and only running mine at 2x speed because of the disabling crap. My last chip an HEDT 3930k had 40 pci lanes, and switching up to this 8700k with only 16 or 20 is quite a hit. Anyway, this 1080ti and 8700k doubled my benchmarks from gtx1070 and 3930k running 4.5ghz. I just miss the 64gb of ram, as I didn't want to take out a mortgage for 64gb at these prices!

I was around with the Unreal Engine as it developed from prerelease to UnrealEd 4, then got back to "life" for a few years. I love watching an engine grow and develop into it's own thing (apparently Tim Sweeney is now a BILLIONAIRE) but the whole backwards compatibility really kicks progress in the behind. "We want to implement this, buuuut we'll break compatibility with all of this!"

I assume that's the RoR vs BeamNG.Drive routine, "Start fresh."

With promised upcoming AI dev work, I'm both excited and frightened!! =D

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice