First Car Suggestion

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by JoshTheAwesome, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Captain. Adam

Captain. Adam
    Expand Collapse

Who said people these days drive with licenses .

• Like Like x 2
  2. JoshTheAwesome

JoshTheAwesome
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

when i said its a field beater. Which means i drive it in the field at my dads house

• Like Like x 2
  3. CarBro74

CarBro74
    Expand Collapse

If you have no lisence, than you should get a Reliant Robin. It says Rely in the name. And once you get a lisence you should get a Citeron 2cv! It's great! You'll love it!

4. amarks240

amarks240
    Expand Collapse

Not falling for that one again buddy sorry.

5. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

just get a Ford ZX3/ZX5 Focus 1st gen

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. CarBro74

CarBro74
    Expand Collapse

Ok, whatever. I just tried to get a Trump quote (I'm not sure, Trump had a lot of soundwaves come out in 2016 and now) in it just to make it funny, but some people won't think it is funny

7. James Smith

James Smith
    Expand Collapse

Here is my suggestion:
    Learn to drive standard. You will thank yourself down the road, even if your first car is auto.
    Just get the cheapest Trailblazer/S10/Ranger/Blazer/Tacoma/D21 etc. . . that you can find that is in good condition.
    Spend some time researching the 90's-early 2000's suv's and light trucks to find out common problems, advantages vs disadvantages of different vehicles and value.
    Once you've got about $2K scraped together by whatever means, go look at a few vehicles, find one that is not absolute garbage and buy it.

Alternately, it's probably wise to throw out that idea of a 4x4 altogether and just get a cheap sedan.

8. Carlover0529

Carlover0529
    Expand Collapse

IF it's just a field beater, no need to get anything more than $1500 or less than 150k miles. If something goes wrong, just pick something up from the junkyard and it pretty much always works.
    https://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/5999755604.html
    This would suit a field beater profile. And the engines in these last well over 200k if you keep them up. It's in Leicester near Worcester.

IF you aren't driving until you get your license, no need to worry about it for a year or two. I got my car 2 weeks after I turned 16. However, if your father insists on having a car when you're 15, get something nicer than a field beater. Keep in mind, your first car you are most likely going to bump into something or crash it, which is what I did (don't have that "it will never happen to me" mentality, please.), so you might as well not get something at the top end of your budget (and beware of the fact that flipping an SUV or truck is SO much easier than you think). I test drove at least 20 cars on a $4,000 budget, and fell in love with a 1998 Buick Regal LS with 133k miles that was $3,000 out the door which left the other thousand dollars in case I needed repairs or gas. Stay away from European luxury cars (Mercedes, BMW, etc.) since they are expensive to repair, will break down, and the insurance even for a basic first car is through the roof. For the situation that your father insists on a car when you're 15 or 16, this website (http://www.carcomplaints.com/) will be your best friend. Use it. Research the cars you look at and find which ones have the least problems. These would be more suitable for a road driver rather than field beater.
    https://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/5968812110.html
    https://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/6008297625.html
    (Volvo's are known to be very safe and very reliable, even in the snow.)
    https://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/6010803349.html

9. IvelinV8

IvelinV8
    Expand Collapse

get a manual.
    Don't go with something expensive or rare(in case you total it)

10. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

Fix the damn thing then.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sunset Drive

Sunset Drive
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

OR you could not do that

12. enjoyinorc6742

enjoyinorc6742
    Expand Collapse

my family has one that we got in december for $500. 200,000 miles on the odometer and still runs great. was owned by an old couple before us

13. Sunset Drive

Sunset Drive
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Oh, damn.
    I was just saying that cuz those things are bland.
    --- Post updated ---
    A 74 El Camino would be nice, or a Mustang ll.

14. coolusername

coolusername
    Expand Collapse

Did you read the title of this thread? NO!
    It has to be something normal and safe.

15. Sunset Drive

Sunset Drive
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

A 74 El Camino would be nice, o
    Hey, the Mustang was my first car, and the damn thing got great MPG, was reliable, and had power steering.
    --- Post updated ---
    My old Cherokee lasted for 748,091 miles, then it got sideswiped.

16. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Theyre reliable and drive like go karts. And I walked away from an accident occuring at a @lukerules117 faint inducing 80mph in one.

• Like Like x 3
  17. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Bro, if you are thinking you will have 7k's to spend, you will be able to buy darn near anything... Just take a short trip over to RI in the little towns like Foster (that's where I used to live about 10 years ago), there used to be a little car shop (which, as far as I know is still there) that sold cars right at the end of my driveway on Route 6 right by the gas station. It used to be a Texico but I have no idea what it is now. For the longest time they didn't have a thing on the lot that they sold for more than 3k's and they were all in pretty decent shape.

18. aesthetic_tea

aesthetic_tea
    Expand Collapse

Just letting you know, Hiluxes are banned in America. Just helping :)
    --- Post updated ---
    Another thing, Blazers and Trailblazers are a good option. But the mileage, it depends.

19. Ulrich

Ulrich
    Expand Collapse

what ? Why ?

20. aesthetic_tea

aesthetic_tea
    Expand Collapse

IDK, you can search it up maybe.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice