Feedback / Improvement Suggetions for Police Chases

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Jürgen Finkelhof, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Jürgen Finkelhof

Jürgen Finkelhof
    Expand Collapse

Hallo everybody, Jürgen in the Hood :D
    as I fan of Police Chases in movies and games Id like to use BeamNG as my personal replacement for NFS Most Wanted I would like to share my experiences with the newest version of the game so far.

Using BeamNG as a Replacement for NFS Most Wanted seems to be quite a stretch but actually its almost there. There are one or two little things preventing you from experiencing maximum potential fun but the biggest and hardest part to implement is already there and functioning excellently. To get the best experience I recommend the traffic mode with police vehicles enabled. Thats what this review will be about.

Once the police cars are behind you and on speed there is very little to stop them. They are best at evading other cars coming the opposite direction, quizzing into gaps and taking corners at maximum grip. It is actually possible to lose them. But on the way to loosing them they create brilliant barricades, shoot out of intersections and spawn along your way. BeamNG implemented a brilliant system in which police officers will only pursuit you if you break traffic laws and if you stop moving they will charge you and count the list of crimes you commited.

So thats everything I could ask for right? Unfortunately not, there is nothing missing but there are things which are preventing chases to become challenging/very exiting. One of the biggest things what everybody who wanted to try out this chase system must have noticed is that the police has a very bad response time. What police and other AI are struggeling with is turning around. Everything which involves changing into reverse gear and back takes up to 10 seconds. But its a police chase. The car has to turn around quickly to not loose me. So if we are both stuck in a traffic jam and I take 4-5 seconds to turn around the police seem to change to neutral - change to reverse - accelerate - brake - come to complete stop - change to neutral - change to drive - accelerate - until they get back behind me so usually they dont get behind me anymore.

Another story is when a police car is spawning in front of me. There are three ways this can happen. First is that the car is coming in the opposite direction at full speed and starts to steer into my way to cut me of. Now this isnt actually very smart, but challenging for me to dodge and exciting to see when they crash into whats following me :D The second option is that the car is blocking the road. Now there is nothing wrong with that but usually only one car blocks the road and there is a huge space to dodge. Now if you can read my mind thats where something like spikes would be perfect. I guess that this wouldnt be hard to implement as this isnt very hard to program compared to the code already implemented and spikes as an object would be useful for other scenarios ;) The third way a police car could spawn in front of you is that they are driving with sirens and lightbar engaged but they dont block you when going past and they seems to take a while to take on the chase once you overtook them. Ahd thats not fun at all as they are just acting like usual traffic and cant catch up once you speeded past them.

Those are the main points which have to be fixed in order to allow for exiting and engaging police chases.
    But there are still to more things which have a slightly bad impact on the atmosphere. First of all when you spawn traffic with police cars, usually two police cars spawn which are completely different. Now when you are in a chase it doesnt feel authentic when one car is a 1960s black and white interceptor while the other car is from 2000s and in blue. Not to mention that these cars have a completely different speed in the chase.
    The other things is that when you alert one car. The other one isnt actually alerted automatically. So in theory you could be chased by one police car but not the other one.

I am going to sum up the things I mentioned:
    -make them respond faster
    - reduce the time its takes AI to turn around (eg. by letting them change gears faster and e.g. change to full throttle drive while still going in reverse direction slightly)
    - directly full throttle once they engage siren and lightbar.
    -police cars that spawn in front of you shouldnt drive along like ordinarey traffic until you speed past, they should try to block your overtake attempt
    -Implement spikes as on object (and use them for road blocks)
    -when spawning traffic with police cars pls dont spawn to different cars, make them the same or matching in livery
    -When you alert one police car the other one should be alerted simultaniously as well.

BeamNG has improved vastly other the previous period of time and I think if they could take those ideas into consideration then the police system is definetely ready for an upcoming V1 release ;)

Cheers

#1 Jürgen Finkelhof, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jakux

Jakux
    Expand Collapse

Oh boy, this is a lot. Alright, let`s see...
    I think they respond fast enough. You hit the car, they are chasing You down in moments
    This is Beamng, where everything is realistic. Not every policeman has quick reflex. And not every driver is called Burt Simpson from ''Short Time'' hehe
    Simply no
    There is a mod for that and barricades... Nah, You can do it yourself
    Depends on the map, some has more police skins to fit (Firwood has some), some not
    That`s already a thing.

So that was my opinion, You might not agree, but we all want something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jürgen Finkelhof

Jürgen Finkelhof
    Expand Collapse

upload_2021-4-2_21-7-12.png
    The map doesnt matter. Those cars are totally different. In a police chase all cars are the same.

Disagree. The response has much space to improve.
    Aufnahme_2021_04_02_21_09_32_666.mp4
    Aufnahme_2021_04_02_21_38_04_143_2.mp4

So BeamNG decides to let the player wait until AI has counted down its waiting time to response or what?

When I said barricades in the post above I meant police road block. And if I have spikes as a mod, police wouldnt use them for their road blocks, or would they? So implementing instead of mod is necessary

As you can see its not
    Aufnahme_2021_04_02_21_47_26_769_2.mp4

So would you say the police in BeamNG does challenge the player to escape?

Attached Files:

#3 Jürgen Finkelhof, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jürgen Finkelhof

Jürgen Finkelhof
    Expand Collapse

See above

#4 Jürgen Finkelhof, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  5. Jürgen Finkelhof

Jürgen Finkelhof
    Expand Collapse

So to sum up:
    -traffic with police shouuld be two times the same car

-FASTER Turn around,

-Cars that spawn in front of you during chase sometimes dont chase you and just go along with the traffic even though sirens are engaged

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice