Factory car steering wheel on a G27?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Slammington, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

So I recently thought of modifying my G27, so that I can fit a bigger steering wheel, because the stock one is rather small. Given that all the aftermarket wheels are either 400 euro MOMOs or chinese crap, I thought I'd look at used steering wheels on a local website. I found a wheel from a first generation Citroen AX that looks really nice, and I've been thinking about buying it and trying to modify it so that it fits on the G27. For the curious, here's what it looks like:

My thought process was to somehow modify the citroen wheel so that it fits in with the allen bolt pattern on the G27. Then all I'd have to do is stick it on (keep in mind I don't really care for the buttons on the wheel itself, never use them) and take advantage of a superior steering wheel design.

My question is, would this be possible at all, given that there is probably a different bolt pattern on the citroen wheel itself?

2. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Standard car steering wheels normally have one big center bolt, unlike the multiple bolt pattern on aftermarket steering wheels that can be fitted to a G27, I suppose you could maybe make some sort of adapter plate but even then stock wheels are pretty heavy, it would mean extra stress on the bearings inside the G27 itself, which will cause the G27 to wear out faster. More trouble than it's worth imo, just buy a cheap aftermarket wheel off eBay, you could cut the two extra arms off and leave the bottom one in place, and then cover it in some vinyl leatherette. But me personally, I'd just buy a old school wood like wheel and call it good. And cheap Chinese knock off wheels will work perfectly on a G27.

3. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

True, but I'm also after the "unique" factor. Would a plastic econobox wheel be that heavy?
    Also, there is the fact that this one costs 10 euros, compared to the minimum of around 30 for an aftermarket wheel (shipping not included), so I'm also trying to keep it cheap. Not to mention this is a higher quality material than the chinese stuff, even if the chinese stuff does still work.

4. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

These steering wheels tend to have a cast steel frame which is pretty heavy, they have to be for strength and rigidity, you're also going to have issue mounting it, look at the back of any steering wheel, you will have to cut the neck which the steering column slides into then create a bracket to fit the multiple bolt pattern on the G27.

BMW-leather-steering-wheel-vinyl-Dye-Back.JPG

This is what the back of most steering wheels look like, 99% chance the rear of that Citroen wheel will be similar to this, only with one spoke.

5. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

I see. With older steering wheels I was thinking the back would look more like the ones below. This way I could just put a bracket straight over the hole and drill the bolt holes, correct?

Also, about the weight. What would happen if I were to remove the cast steel frame, and simply leave the plastic parts? Would it still hold up to regular use?

Attached Files:

• wheel1.jpg
    • wheel2.jpg
  6. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, they'll pretty much look like the one on the right, you'll still need to cut the collar down for a flush mount. The wheel isn't entirely made of plastic, it's a steel frame covered in foam padding which is then covered in a fake vinyl leather type material, besides, how would you remove the frame from the wheel even if it where plastic. The frame would be sealed inside the plastic, looking at the picture the wheel looks like plastic but I doubt it is, the center gray part with the Citroen badge on it will be plastic to cover the nut holding the wheel onto the steering column. For ten Euro's though, you could give it a try. No harm in trying and if it works, well you will have a very unique wheel.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jorlman

Jorlman
    Expand Collapse

I'll have to say, beware of putting a heavier wheel on your g27; the gears are already pretty weak. I put this bigger aftermarket wheel on mine (with a special plate adapter that let me preserve the 6 wheel buttons and longer paddles), it's pretty lightweight, but slightly more than the stock, and just because of it being bigger, the FFB is pretty much reduced like 20% (the bigger the wheel, the bigger the "lever" distance to your hand, the less you will feel FFB). If you add extra weight on top of that, you can really strain your g27.
    20160421_194615.jpg

8. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

True, that's probably the main reason why the stock one is so small. I've asked about the weight of the wheel, if it's too heavy I'll just leave the G27 alone.
    --- Post updated ---
    According to my calculations, the G27 may hold up to a max weight of about 1.2kg. Do you reckon the factory ax wheel (keep in mind it's a simple econobox) will weigh that much?

9. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

According to this website: http://rallye-project.co.uk/?page_id=806 A standard wheel for a Peugeot 106 steering wheel "similar whee in weight" weighs around 1.38kg. The single spoke steering wheels for the AX are pretty rare, only the very early model AX's had them. It could be lighter, so you might get away with it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Do you reckon it will destroy the bearings at such a weight? It's almost 2x the original wheel's weight (which is 700g), although that is the weight of the g25 wheel, so the g27 wheel may be slightly heavier since it's got more volume.
    --- Post updated ---
    Also, here is a diagram of what it will look like in my head, from the back of the wheel:

For some context, there will be a big chunk of "wheel" removed, to eliminate the single nut and make room for the mods. This will further remove weight also.
    The black area is the wheel itself, and the grey area is an aluminium plate screwed to the back. The plate has 4 screws, one on each corner, and six holes for the plastic piece that holds the bolts in place. This way, it should bolt right in. To take it off, you just take off the citroen cover on the front (not visible in this drawing) and remove the bolts.

11. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

How about this wheel?

12. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Simply too expensive for me, and it doesn't have the same unique factor as a rare french econobox wheel ;p

• Like Like x 1
  13. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

But at least it has that red bar which tell you what angle the wheel is pointing at! :p

14. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

I guess the equivalent in the citroen wheel would be the giant bloody spoke.

OT: Would the setup I posted in the weird diagram above work?

15. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

But that "giant bloody spoke" is at an angle, which doesn't really give you an accurate steering wheel angle reading. Oh well, that's French steering wheel designing for you. :p

16. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

The entire steering is turned slightly. The wheel is straight, don't worry.

17. B727ClassicFlyer

B727ClassicFlyer
    Expand Collapse

Guess my eyes were deceiving me then. :p;)

18. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Anyway, back on topic:
    Will the setup I posted above work? I'm worried that some screws might not hold it in place well enough.

19. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

This is what the frame in that steering wheel will probably look like.

Untitled.png
    Everything in red being the frame of the wheel.

20. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. From what I can see a straight hole through the center shouldn't affect the structural integrity.
    --- Post updated ---
    Update: The ad has now been archived due to inactivity. I guess the owner of the wheel probably didn't care much for selling it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice