Exporting from Blender problems

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by WhoDatRudeDude, Aug 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. WhoDatRudeDude

WhoDatRudeDude
    Expand Collapse

Hello, I'm quite new to this so I'm still trying to understand - Hoping I one day can make a lot of cool assets.
    At the moment, all I've made is a test object to see if I could make it to work. I made a traffic cone (or I tried) in Blender and following Nadeox1's tutorial on youtube on how to export it into the game. It's not showing and there is no collision either. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
    • 2.jpg
    • 3.jpg
    • 4.jpg
    • 5.jpg
  2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

You have two collision meshes, but no visual mesh.

See -1 after Colmesh, that means do not render me.

Colmesh-2 is something I have not seen on other objects.

What you need is yourcone_a50.

Then when ready to export, you need to select, start00, Colmesh-1, yourcone_a50 etc. and make sure that only selection is checked in exporter options.

If you then want to have more LODs, you will set yourcone_a150, yourcone_a400 etc. Bigger the number, closer it will switch to that specific model. In theory that is width of object in pixels on screen, but in practice one just needs to experiment with the number as there are so many variables which really affects what distance object will switch to another level of detail (LOD).

There is more about LOD here:
    http://docs.garagegames.com/torque-...on/Artist Guide/Primer/torque_art_primer.html

Importing some building from East Coast Usa map will also be helpful showing the proper naming of those meshes as it is not really well explained anywhere and it does require some additional pieces. I find it easier to paste my model to existing structure, I think I did borrow on of Bob Blunderton's object structures for this, just replaced house model of my own, you can see how all objects are selected for exporting:
    upload_2018-8-22_8-24-1.png

When you click export Collada, then look lower left to see these options, it usually is best to select these checkboxes:
    upload_2018-8-22_8-26-49.png

3. WhoDatRudeDude

WhoDatRudeDude
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much for your time and help - It worked and I'm happy!
    6.jpg
    But I do still have one minor problem tho, it seems like my cone is hungry and eats up my car whenever I crash into it..
    Once again, thank you so much for your help!

• Like Like x 1
  4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Ah, that hunger comes from the fact that your cone is a static map object. Static here means that it will not react to simulated forces, so it is like a unmovable mountain of unlimited strength.

To make your cone to react to forces, you need to create it as a vehicle instead.

So it needs node/beam structure for that and bit different setup in Blender. Then you need to attach your model to node beam structure in jbeam file.

It has bit more steps than static object creation:
    https://wiki.beamng.com/Introduction_to_Vehicle_Creation

However for your purposes, I think taking official cone jbeam, renaming all necessary parts, modifying node/beam structure as well as jbeam to have your cone mesh attached to node/beam structure, should be easiest route:
    You can find in game cone from steamapps\common\BeamNG.drive\content\vehicles\cones.zip

5. WhoDatRudeDude

WhoDatRudeDude
    Expand Collapse

No, I mean if I drive my car next to it, it somehow grabs the car and I can't get loose and it looks like it tries to eat it slowly lol.
    But anyways - Thank you. You've been very helpful!

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Collision mesh probably, you might need to make collision mesh to be cylinder with diameter of 30cm or so, see how bus stop signs are made (you can enable collision mesh debug mode for that), they have quite large collision mesh diameter compared to diameter of tube of bus stop sign itself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice