EV realism suggestions

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Confused_Deer43, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Confused_Deer43

Confused_Deer43
    Expand Collapse

Okay no faffing around!
    There are some details that should make it into the game if aiming for realism that EV's currently lack.
    I've already made a suggestion for some sound related ones in the audio thread which may be looked into, now I'd like to mention some things worth noting about EV's for realism. My reference being my own e208 and wanting to get to know my own car.

- EV automatic handbrakes if pulled at speed act as an emergency brake, they do not only engage the rear brakes but all brakes (tested this myself in my car, in a safe area of course!)
    - EV drive modes range from eco, normal, and sport. Eco and normal limit power output by about 30hp intervals, eco also smoothens throttle response. Power output is on max either in sport mode, or when using the kickdown button by fully depressing the pedal.
    - Weather affects EV range, more specifically colder weather below 5 degrees celcius may see a reduction of about 20% range, this is largely affected by heating. Though from my own testing, I've seen that while in the summer I get around 12kwh/100km, in the winter with no cabin heating (the battery must always heat itself though to prevent damage) I get between 15-20kwh/100km.
    - EV's in the game should be able to shutdown (enable parking brake and shut down screens.)
    - B mode should be added for stronger regen and to enable one pedal driving, simultaneously the regen in D mode should be slightly reduced. Brakes are not used unless under heavy braking or if N mode is used while at speed.
    - "creeping" up to 10km/h should be added as most EV's do this by default to replicate an ICE automatic creep.
    - E vivace engine bay is very empty, even just adding a plastic cover above the motor/charger would help.

Hope these are useful! Happy to help or try some things out in my car to help with research.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

All brakes are realistic but less fun IMO, but definitely possible, however, you need to define foot brake torque and hand brake torque separately.
    Throttle mapping is not simulated, if the devs are going to add this function, the vehicleController.lua is the file to change, which includes electric drivetrain and all ICE drivetrain(yep, many an ICEV IRL also has different throttle mapping in different driving modes).
    This is a common misconception, cold climate does not damage battery, it only causes the battery's internal resistance to increase, which lowers the battery's max power and efficiency.
    This is caused by higher internal resistance, and of course if the internal resistance is too high the battery's cooling system will turn on the battery heater automatically. Unfortunately, internal resistance is not simulated in BeamNG.
    This has been suggested thrice in other threads, another suggestion is to separate the ignition and starter switch in ICEVs. Seems like ignition system/start stop system simulation is not prioritized in BeamNG.
    That's brake blending(watch picture for explanation), which is complex, and not simulated in BeamNG. However, there are mods.
    That's part of throttle mapping, which is not simulated. However there are mods.
    That's frunk, not all electric vehicles have a frunk.

For your convenience, here's another relevant thread.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Confused_Deer43

Confused_Deer43
    Expand Collapse

Definitely agreed, however it could just be rectified by removing the front brakes in-game, if they are aiming for true realism at least.

New additions to the powertrain do happen occasionally, so this may happen?

As I've understood it, EV's need to maintain a battery temperature to help prevent degradation, most notable when cooling is required. Feel free to link me any info you have on this, happy to learn more!

Understandable, and likely might be FPS heavy to implement unless it's done the same way as ICE engine temperatures are done if that could work.

I have mentioned this before too about a year or so ago, just wanted to have it in this post as part of my suggestions. Perhaps we'll see an ignition simulation in the future, I'm certain it's something they'd want to add but not high priority at all right now.

You may have misunderstood, the vivace and its possible counterpart irl does not have a frunk, I just mean a simple cosmetic cover over the on board charger/motor to make the bay feel a little fuller than it is, it's really empty as is now.

• Agree Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice