Engine inertia

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by crazikyle, Aug 9, 2017.

1. crazikyle

crazikyle
    Expand Collapse

It would be really cool if engines would rock back and forth in their engine bay when revved. Right now they are totally static objects, and it would be cool to see a car rock when you started the engine or revved it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

They do. Try with the drag cars, they definitely have some shake to them.

Also, it doesn't happen on cars like the Covet, for example, because the engine has little torque and the engine mounts are not made of paper :)

3. crazikyle

crazikyle
    Expand Collapse

Doesn't seem like it. I just loaded up the barstow drag, and revving the engine in neutral does nothing. All the engines are just static objects now.

4. AX53

AX53
    Expand Collapse

I'm pretty sure they do. Not sure about neutral but they most definitely do in gear where the ground provide resistance. After that it comes down to torque and how stiff the engine mounts are.

5. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

Engines don't twist/shake much when not under load. Try launching the car, you'll notice the frame twists significantly :)

6. crazikyle

crazikyle
    Expand Collapse

But they should shake a little. In my car, a 3.3l v6, I can rev it in neutral and the car will rock noticeably. Even when you start an engine, it shakes while it starts up but none of the cars currently do that.

7. AX53

AX53
    Expand Collapse

Ye, I'm not sure the game actually applies the flywheel reaction forces to the engine. That's what you're asking for. But it might just be that your engine mounts are bad on your car. It should move very very little but if it twists in neutral you should look that over.

Edit: But if the game doesn't have this feature I'm all for it. The engine should push against the flywheel until the moment of inertia of the flywheel is overcomed

#7 AX53, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  8. IvanGF14

IvanGF14
    Expand Collapse

9. AX53

AX53
    Expand Collapse

Yes the fact that the reaction torque from the wheels will twist the motor has already been established. But whether it twists in neutral against the inertia of the flywheel is still unknown.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice