Duplicate map

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by themightykasey, Jan 5, 2018.

1. themightykasey

themightykasey
    Expand Collapse

there is a map already built, well its bascically a template, could i just add that map again and just edit it withiut having to build a new terrain? For monster tucks.

2. Twitch Axis

Twitch Axis
    Expand Collapse

What do you mean by just edit it without making a new terrain? If you load that template up you have to create a new terrain with a heightmap, OR you could use the pre-existing terrain on the map and just edit it in the in-game editor. I suppose this is up to you, but I would just import a new heightmap of my own to do this, you have much more control that way. Now--if you want to make some sort of arena or some type of thing with jumps, I would make a flat terrain and shape it in the editor. Also, with that being said, you could easily make a 3d model and texture it with the terrain texture you are using for the terrain itself. Honestly, I wouldn't do that if your a beginner because you'd have to somehow combine macro layers and overlay layers, and just too much work. Hope this helped!

3. themightykasey

themightykasey
    Expand Collapse

I mean there is a map already created. It already has everything i need in it. Its a monster truck track and i just want to edit the jumps, however, i want to keep that map. I just need 2 of the same maps in game so i can keep the one i have and just edit the ramps on the next one.

4. Twitch Axis

Twitch Axis
    Expand Collapse

OK, so just copy that map, paste it and it will say "thismapname(1)" or something obviously it wont be this map name it will be whatever that map is called. You'll have to change all the folder names and the name of the map in the info.json file. THEN, you will have to go into all of the materials.cs files and change the file path to make it correct (Wherever you see the old map name, change it to yours). You will have to also rename all of the contents of the main folder with your new name, e.g thismapname.forest to yourmapname.forest, you'd have to change all of them including going into the decals and mission file and changing all of the file paths. You will need Notepad++ to do this, but I am sure you have it. I hope this helped. BTW, if you need a more in-depth description, check out this tutorial. Just pay attention to the part of renaming everything.

5. themightykasey

themightykasey
    Expand Collapse

It worked thank you,
    Now, i edited the pervious map to my liking. The new map is the old map before i edited.

I edited the map i just created. If i wanted to upload this map with my editing, how do i do that, just take the levels folder and add it to the mod map?

#5 themightykasey, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  6. Twitch Axis

Twitch Axis
    Expand Collapse

I think I understand what your saying. In Documents\beamng.drive\levels you will find your map name, go into there and copy all of those files and paste them into your main map folder with all the contents. Make sure when you package your folder, you don't have it like this: Mapname/Mapname/levels make sure it is Mapname/levels/ otherwise it won't work. If you need help with that let me know.

On a completely different note, make sure that if you edited someone elses map, be sure you ask permission to use their content, and credit them in the description of your mod. If you don't have permission, the devs will not approve your mod and it would be a waste of time. When you submit your mod, quote the post of whoever gave you permission and put it in a message to the auto-made thread between you and the moderator.

7. themightykasey

themightykasey
    Expand Collapse

my .rar opens like this

mystadium.rar
    levels
    mystadium
    (all content)

8. Twitch Axis

Twitch Axis
    Expand Collapse

OK. First off, it needs to be a .zip, it cannot be a .rar from my knowledge, I don't beleive the mods page will allow you to select anything but a .zip. So, the file that you see first should be mystadium/levels/mystadium/(AllContent). This is what you don't want mystadium/mystadium/levels/mystadium/(allContent). Heres a quick vid on how to do this, it is hard to completely explain.

Attached Files:

9. themightykasey

themightykasey
    Expand Collapse

it works. it is a .zip. idk why is said .rar, probably because i use winrar. it works fine.

10. Twitch Axis

Twitch Axis
    Expand Collapse

OK, glad I could help.

11. themightykasey

themightykasey
    Expand Collapse

i have a racing version and a freestyle version. how to i put them in the same zip?

12. Twitch Axis

Twitch Axis
    Expand Collapse

So when you open up the first folder, go to mymap/levels/ and then place them right there in the levels folder separate. So you'd have in the levels folder yourmaprace and yourmapfreestyle, but obviously whatever you named them. If you need a visual, download sultan peak and take a look at how the author has a snow version and a regular version, and combined them into the same zip.

13. SnakePlayz

SnakePlayz
    Expand Collapse

Can't you just copy and paste the map, edit it, rename it, put thumbnail, and won't that work?
    --- Post updated ---
    That worked for me.

14. Twitch Axis

Twitch Axis
    Expand Collapse

Uh, if you look through all of the prior messages, he has done that, now he asked how to get it in the same zip, which I already posted a message on how to do it.

15. SnakePlayz

SnakePlayz
    Expand Collapse

I did after posting. Lol

16. Twitch Axis

Twitch Axis
    Expand Collapse

Uh, ok then.

17. themightykasey

themightykasey
    Expand Collapse

Do you know how to make colors? Like i made a road over a jump and I want it to be blue, how do I do that?

18. Twitch Axis

Twitch Axis
    Expand Collapse

Yeah if you have a certain texture of like gravel for example, just go into paint.net and change the hue to whatever you want. If you want a solid color just fill that entire texture in pdn as that color. Is this what you mean?

19. themightykasey

themightykasey
    Expand Collapse

Yea, i also lost a material but it works in other maps. How do i get it back

20. Twitch Axis

Twitch Axis
    Expand Collapse

Does the texture still show up in the folder for it? If it does, let me know if it doesn't put it back there and then check to make sure its written in the materials.cs file in documents/beamng.drive/mods/yourmod AND documents/beamng.drive/levels/yourmod. Get back to me and let me know if the actual texture itself is still in the folder where it was before. Also, the materials editor is just about completely unusable from what I last heard, so if your trying to use that, it most likely won't work for you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice