Dirt Rally and Race Wheels (change my mind)

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Valhallatchaboy, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Valhallatchaboy

Valhallatchaboy
    Expand Collapse

This one goes out to people who play Dirt Rally and Dirt Rally 2.0

Backstory: I tried playing Dirt Rally after leaving it for some time. I was mad at the inconsistent AI that was either waaaay better than me, or bad. I felt the game was far from realistic at the time, until i found out later that it was the assists never turned off that made the game unplayable for me. I had made some posts on the steam forums about my issues with everyone laughing at me, trolling me, or telling me generally disgusting things. One thread I posted was about controls. I play with a controller, which triggered the community. To them, if i didnt play with a racing wheel and pedals then I wasnt playing right and should give up racing games.

This irritated me immensely for
    A) I played racing games ever since the N64 days
    B) How toxic everyone was
    and
    C) How I could be flamed and bashed on with no mods of steam stepping in to stop it until the damage was already done.(for those wondering, it took steam moderators a full week to take down the hate filled comments)

Ever since then, i have been seeing people in the community of Dirt act as if they were legitimate rally drivers just because they had a racing wheel and pedals. It may be because i have a biased against it but it doesnt. Many of them state its very close to the real thing, so much so that actual rally drivers use the game as practice. That still doesnt mean a non rally driver can play the game and suddenly become a rally driver.

I get that in some cases driving simulators are close to the real thing. Heck, one could argue BeamNG with a wheel and pedals is good beginners practice as well as a means to keep ones driving skills honed. This is different from real life as all game engines have their limitations.

While having a racing wheel and pedals is great to increase immersion in car games, just having them doesnt make you more skilled or a pro at driving. Change my mind and please be respectful.

2. Copunit12

Copunit12
    Expand Collapse

Play beamng.drive with a keyboard and do amassing stuff. < : ). Only pros use a keyboard.
    Anyway as long as you can keep up and are not a Forza rammer type of player then you can play with a god dam banana setup.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. C747

C747
    Expand Collapse

Hell, I play DR2.0 with a keyboard and a PC without a GPU

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice