1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Different partitions for differents versions of BeamNG

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by NOCARGO, Aug 18, 2019.

1. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Ok, *sighs*, here we go : So now I really want to install 0.17 to explore the latest version of
    BeamNG but I really d o n ' t want to lose 0.15.xx because I've been building a lot on it.
    Originally I wanted to leave 0.15.xx on my machine and save for a new one to apply more recent
    versions but since I notice that the performance is improving by every update (sort of at least)
    I would like to give it a try IF I can preserve my current version of the game (I hate calling BeamNG
    a game
    :) ). So my question is :
    Is it possible to install a different version of BeamNG onto a different partition of the same hard drive ?
    Just like the 'classical' system my boot partition sits on a different hard drive from my applications so
    will BeamNG interfere with it's siblings if they reside on a different partition and am I able to tell the
    installer not use the Documents Folder (which of course sits on the boot drive and currently uses 0.15.xx)
    before IT IS GOING TO ?
    I guess the answer is 'yes it is possible' but I just wanted to check another time before I proceed because I know many of you will most probably have a fulfilling answer to my question.

NC

2. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Oh.. I seemed to have been afraid for a ghost. Maybe it's too soon to decide but I couldn't await an answer any longer, while
    knowing it probably be just fine, so I went on and gave it a try. So far it seems to work like a charm. By the click of a button
    I just quit the one and start the other. Oh this update sure is sweet :)
    Anyway, one must of course be cautious not to run both instances at once, I wouldn't want to destroy the universe.. :p
    AND.. I do NOT recommend this to anyone who has insufficient knowledge to manage ones operating system !
    But if at your own risk you want to give it a shot DON'T forget by ALL MEANS to separate both (or more) versions ' User Folders.
    Get them the heck out of your Documents Folder and also, I installed each version on a different partition of the same drive, so
    while that works I put the User Folder in the partition where the corresponding version sits.

Very Important : First I renamed the original User Folder that was in MY DOCUMENTS, I just add a '1' in front of the 'BeamNG.drive'.
    Then I installed 0.17 on a different partition. > This WILL put a new folder in your Documents Folder so beware.
    Then
    I moved User Folder of 0.17 to its location on its partition.
    Then I moved User Folder of 0.15 to its location on its partition.
    Only now run the game whether it's one version or the other. :)

One more thing : My desktop is full of shortcuts meant for 0.15 so I am NOT planning of scrambling shortcuts of different versions here.
    In fact, even the shortcut to run 0.17 itself sits in the separate partition where 0.17 is installed. Also after moving the User Folders manually
    you must use the corresponding Launchers of the game to set them and you must uncheck the box below that says 'Move files (except cache
    and something...)'
    or something.. anyway.. uncheck.

Disclaimer :
    Once again, I'm not an expert, dev, or anything that insures this will not harm any of the versions or at least their user data.

Greetings,
    NC

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice