Diesel Cold Start Simulation?

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by sjbphoto, May 5, 2019.

1. sjbphoto

sjbphoto
    Expand Collapse

It would be really cool, for that when a diesel engine starts up cold, (especially semi and bus) for them to take a while to catch and start, and then have a bit of a choppy idle for little.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

The only way I know how to make an engine start longer, is to add a very tiny line of code to the engine jbeam... But that only makes the starter not have enough (or too much) torque to crank over, thus having you hold the throttle to help it (seen this method being mentioned on here by someone... Forgot who, though :()

"starterTorque": 17

Use at your own risk

3. sjbphoto

sjbphoto
    Expand Collapse

Ah i see, Where do i add this in? does it matter where in the jbeam?

4. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

You should make a copy of the vehicle's engine jbeam & then place it in the mods folder (it's bit more complicated, but I can't remember the steps right now) & have it be somewhere at the end of the "//engine performance" code

Code:
    //engine performance
                "idleRPM":1193.731337734,
                "maxRPM":6000, //Max RPM before overrev damage is likely
                "hasRevLimiter":false, //Disables rev limiter
                "idleRPMRoughness":350,
                "inertia":0.036639201715092, //(kg*m/s^2)
                "friction":4.4616756555861, //Constant friction torque (Nm)
                "dynamicFriction":0.012162224303782, //Friction torque that increases with engine speed (Nm/rad/s)
                "starterTorque": 17
    (sample from my Automation car)

5. Zero

Zero
    Expand Collapse

I don't see the point of this yet, as BeamNG currently have no temperature simulation as far as I'm concerned.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. sjbphoto

sjbphoto
    Expand Collapse

They have engine thermals, but I don’t think it simulates into how the engine runs yet. Sadly.
    --- Post updated ---
    Thanks! I did make a mod, so it’s not editing the base game files. I now have a t series engine that takes 16 seconds of cranking to start and idles a bit choppier. Jbeam is fun to mess around with lol.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

If I remember correctly, it makes the engine have some less power when the engine is cold... but that's really it

8. sjbphoto

sjbphoto
    Expand Collapse

Ah yeah that sounds about right. I think I remember hearing that. It’s gonna be cool when they eventually add temp affecting the way an engine starts and runs.

9. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

They do have air temp simulation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Zero

Zero
    Expand Collapse

In that case, it would be a pretty cool feature for winter maps :)

11. Arcanox

Arcanox
    Expand Collapse

Most of the "parts" for this are in the game; there's thermal simulation of several engine parts, plus "idle roughness" and variable starter torque and ignition coefficients. It's just a matter of putting them all together with a Lua script. Plus, logic for glow plugs would need to be included and somehow integrated with the engine start/stop UI control.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Jujudemetz

Jujudemetz
    Expand Collapse

but run with a cold or a good temps engine don't really change a thing (physically)

13. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

Oil will change the engine friction based on it's temperature, and engine performance will change based on air pressure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jujudemetz

Jujudemetz
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for this information, I didn't think at frictionnal and engine performance simulation in terms of temperature/pressure

15. JeffTesta

JeffTesta
    Expand Collapse

Diesels shouldn't rev up on startup like a fuel injected gas engine either. Starter motors should sound different also depending on engine size, vehicle origin, time period, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Gameplayer0575

Gameplayer0575
    Expand Collapse

Sup. I know this is probably a little late but I'll post this anyways. So I've been messing around with the ambient temperature via the ingame editor and found out, that if you put the temperature at any time to -268°C, diesel engines will run very poorly, take a bit longer to start (and are barely able to start) and barely make any horsepower. I have only tested it with the Gavril-D L-RTV Marauder as of right now, but I think this applies to any engine in the game. I found this pretty cool and thought I might share it.

Instructions for changing the temperature:
    1. Open the editor using F11
    2. Go over to the section "Scene Tree" on the left of your screen (Probably already open when you first open the editor
    3. Seach for "theLevelInfo" and click on it once
    4. Look to the right of your screen and look for "TemperatureCurveC"
    5. (The numbers 0 ; 0.2xxxx ; 0.5 ; etc stand for the time. Check this wiki for more info https://wiki.beamng.com/Map_Environment )
    6. Change the value to -268 for all times

and e voila, your engine will now run like crap :)

edit: Forgot to add, your brakes also won't work anymore, hf
    edit2: This was tested on the Italy map and was tested at a different hight so you might get different results with your engine not starting at all, just tweak the number a bit.

#16 Gameplayer0575, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  17. Tom Foolery

Tom Foolery
    Expand Collapse

Well, I'm glad that they modeled how engines are hard to start at 5K.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. ProjectExorcist

ProjectExorcist
    Expand Collapse

I changed it, and it did change the Temperature, But the diesel vehicles have no trouble starting what so ever, can you help me? and the brakes still work kinda, but can you help?

#18 ProjectExorcist, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice