WIP Detroit Diesel V16 Simulation

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by FFIVGUY, Jun 25, 2019.

1. FFIVGUY

FFIVGUY
    Expand Collapse

I am trying to simulate the Detroit diesel V16 which is two V8 blocks attached together rather than a full V16 block but I need to know is it possible to have multiple sound sets so I could simulate it properly?

2. The Stig Is A Spy

The Stig Is A Spy
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, could you elaborate on what you mean by multiple "sound sets"?

By default, an engine has two types of sound sources: one within the block (specified by torque reaction nodes) and multiples from the exhaust system. The sound configuration also has a "fundamental frequency cylinder count", but I'm not sure what part of the engine sound this variable changes.

3. FFIVGUY

FFIVGUY
    Expand Collapse

What are torque reaction nodes and multiples?

4. The Stig Is A Spy

The Stig Is A Spy
    Expand Collapse

Sorry. I should have clarified that by "multiples", I meant multiple sound emitters corresponding to each node at the end of an exhaust (I'm pretty sure that's how it goes).

The wiki entry for engines says that the array "torqueReactionNodes" defines three orthogonal nodes within the engine and are required for it to work (much like reference nodes). As the name suggests, they're also responsible for torque forces originating from the engine (e.g. shaking when started up).

Using the SBR4 and Bolide engines as an example, the torque reaction nodes in order are lower front left, lower rear left, and upper rear right.

Pictured is the Bolide engine from a rear right quarter view.

beamng-help-0.png

#4 The Stig Is A Spy, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  5. FFIVGUY

FFIVGUY
    Expand Collapse

is it possible to have more than two sound sources?

6. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Basically what he is trying to do is use a normal V8 sound to emulate a V16 sound. Essentially we wants to use 1 V8 sound overlayed with another offset slightly (offset at the crank by 45*) to make 16 individual cylinder pulses and thus make it sound like a V16.

Honestly, if there is no way to do it in game, your best bet might be to manually offset the sounds in Audacity and create your own custom V16 sound from 2 V8 sounds overlayed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. FFIVGUY

FFIVGUY
    Expand Collapse

Is there a way to do that in game?

8. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

If there is... I don't know how to do it. Someone might, but if so it isn't me.

A cheaty way to do it could be to make a similar engine in Automation (if you have it) and export it... then just use the exported sound from that.

Otherwise, like I said before, you could overlay the sounds in Audacity manually and make new sounds. This could take a while though.

9. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

There are V16 sounds in game, just use those. There is no good way to play two samples at once with offset.

10. FFIVGUY

FFIVGUY
    Expand Collapse

Those are petrol not diesel. Like I stated it is two v8 blocks attached together not a full v16 block

11. Capkirk

Capkirk
    Expand Collapse

You cannot do that in BeamNG without modding

12. FFIVGUY

FFIVGUY
    Expand Collapse

I know that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice