1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Detailed Modeling

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by lucky74dog, Jul 4, 2013.

1. lucky74dog

lucky74dog
    Expand Collapse

Hi, I am working (well at least trying) on creating a car for beamng in blender. I know how to model around a template in the background to create a shell like a car, but I have no Idea how to create an interior , engine , etc. How do you do that? I've looked at many tutorials, but all of them are just the outside of the car.

2. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

I would assume that it goes about the same way for the interior stuff, once you know the tools you can draw anything. I think that most modders from Rigs of Rods (another, similar game, of which all 4 beamng devs contributed to) would have no issues with poking through some of their creations to learn how all this stuff works. I'm not a very good artist, though, so most things I make turn out badly and I end up scrapping them.

3. Flappyzor

Flappyzor
    Expand Collapse

Even though I don't model cars or really use blender my advice would be just to mess around, see if you can create very undetailed seats or dashboards and then try work off of that. Then try add even more detail or polygons. I made a very super cool in-depth drawing.

ifyourreadingthissendmeafriendrequestorsomethingyadumb.png

4. Kamil_

Kamil_
    Expand Collapse

You should look at those parts and have a general idea of what they look like. Then learn blender to a point where templates are no longer needed for you to imagine something, and just model the engines, etc on what you know.
    If you're modelling a real car, you should have no problem finding images of the interior but as for the engine and suspension, it doesn't really matter as much.

5. lucky74dog

lucky74dog
    Expand Collapse

The outside is easy. All you need to do is build it around the blurprint that you have inserted, but It's much harder to do that with an engine.

6. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

What I do is starting building a chassis under the panels (it doesn't have to be 100% accurate. I had no idea on how chassis are really made, so I built one that was similar for my bimmer)

(imported from here)
    Then I modelled the dashboard apart

(imported from here)
    Till it started taking form and adding various details

(imported from here)
    And attached it to the chassis

(imported from here)
    Then the seats, working dash and etc.

(imported from here)

It may not be the best way to do it, but it's something.
    Hope it could help giving a start.

Ps. It took me lot of tries to get a good result, so don't lose your hopes on the first try.

#6 Nadeox1, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  7. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Might be an okay way to get started but it's quite inaccurate to how a real car is built.

(imported from here)

(imported from here)

(imported from here)

8. DanniBee

DanniBee
    Expand Collapse

I do have one question and this is probably the best place to ask it.

When modelling the mesh, for parts that are joined to the vehicle; door handles, boot clips etc. Should these be attached by merged vertices like this:

Joining1.PNG

Or can it also work as two meshes intersecting and then joined as one object, like here:

Capture.PNG

I only ask because for more complex models such as the engine and dashboard attaching it with many vertices would be quite difficult, and wouldn't this also effect how the deformation works?

9. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

It's best to add as few vertices to the underlying geoemetry as possible. Float it over the geometry if you can, and if you have to, make a simple hole for whatever indented parts to not clip through the surface. But it's not necessary (or beneficial) to connect the vertices of something like a door handle to the door.

10. DanniBee

DanniBee
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Gabe, that makes this a lot less effort and it fixed all the problems I was having with the normals ;)

11. lucky74dog

lucky74dog
    Expand Collapse

I have recently started to try and model an AE86. I hope it turns out right. I also have a small problem. I am trying to extrude the part of the hood i have done, but I find that there are TONS of extra points all in one area and it is stopping me from extruding the entire shape.

P.S. Is there a way to connect to selected points together?

12. Venomox

Venomox
    Expand Collapse

Do you have some pictures to show us the model?

13. MercyFlush

MercyFlush
    Expand Collapse

If you're using 3DS max then weld the vertices.

14. juju

juju
    Expand Collapse

He's using blender (look at first post)

lucky74dog : You need to merge (or weld) the vertices by selecting 2 vertices or more, then hit Alt + M and select the appropriate merge.

(imported from here)

15. MercyFlush

MercyFlush
    Expand Collapse

Regardless he probably realised that 'weld' in 3ds max is the same as blenders 'weld'.

16. lucky74dog

lucky74dog
    Expand Collapse

Thank you, but that is not what I meant. I actually wanted to know if you could connect two points on a mesh with a line.

17. DanniBee

DanniBee
    Expand Collapse

You can do that easily, select the two vertices you want a line to go across and press 'F'. It will fill it in with an edge. :)

18. lucky74dog

lucky74dog
    Expand Collapse

Tom-hanks (thanks) otherwise known as Tom-hankyou:cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice