Dell desktop won't boot after installing a graphics card

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Joeyfuller2000, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Joeyfuller2000

Joeyfuller2000
    Expand Collapse

So not too long ago I got a Dell optiplex 7010 desktop. It had an AMD graphics card in it that I took out until I was able to buy a monitor with dVI.I was able to do this, install the graphics card, but now all I get is a blank screen. The bios doesn't even show up. I tried unplugging the graphics card while the PC was off, taking out and reinserting the ram, and still nothing. I also tried various "fixes" that I could find but still nothing worked. Any ideas? Bad graphics card maybe?

2. Core2Duo_E7400 2

Core2Duo_E7400 2
    Expand Collapse

if it's a new GPU you may need a new PSU with a high enough wattage to get it working (avoid the cheapest ones though).

You may also want to check all the cables are snapped in properly on both ends (if it's not a modular PSU there will only be one end to worry about) and that all the switches are set to the on position.

try and find an online manual as it will help make sure everything is plugged in correctly (this helped me fix my Lenovo E73 when I messed up the connections).

Failing that you could check the front panel connectors to ensure that the power button is connected.

ALWAYS remember to turn the power supply and/or the wall socket off before working in the PC.

3. naguluna

naguluna
    Expand Collapse

You should check your power supply maybe is not working properly, but first try removeing the bios battery for some minutes and then try again. also what video card is it?

4. Joeyfuller2000

Joeyfuller2000
    Expand Collapse

Amd radeon 7470

5. Core2Duo_E7400 2

Core2Duo_E7400 2
    Expand Collapse

just a quick thought, If you can boot without the GPU that is...

Check the temperature of your components, if you have a bad fan or too much dust it could be slowly killing your PC part by part.

the free version of Pirform Speccy can do that for you: https://www.piriform.com/speccy

6. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Is the monitor plugged into the graphics card? Was the card stored correctly while not in use?

7. nolotank

nolotank
    Expand Collapse

When I first built my PC I had a problem where the GPU being installed disabled the iGPU ports but the iGPU for some reason overrode the GPU. So, I couldn't get a video signal. Try removing the card and using the onboard graphics to check the BIOS settings related to the GPU.

8. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

Remove CMOS battery, put it back in and hope for the best.

Otherwise, take your canned air and spray the living hell out of your computer for dust.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice