damageable engines and diffs

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by gtaman788, Sep 13, 2012.

1. gtaman788

gtaman788
    Expand Collapse

hi not trying to spam with my threads just trying to help make this game sell well now lets talk when a car hits a wall the engines dies or the radiator will leak and kill the engine can yous make damageable engines if you dont am sure it will still be the best car game but beamng wants be like a life like car game:cool:

2. chainsaw

chainsaw
    Expand Collapse

Hi, I totally agree with what you've said but I would like to add some sort of option to turn off engine damage when you want.

+1 for this idea.

3. gtaman788

gtaman788
    Expand Collapse

option i like that;)

4. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Ow, the lack of punctuation hurt but this would be cool. Like if you activated the diff on your truck under load it would explode.

5. spartan239

spartan239
    Expand Collapse

This topic was thoroughly discussed in the RoR forum, so I am pretty sure that they are at least aware of the fact that everyone wants engine damage. However, that being said, they are probably working their hardest to make it happen. :)

It will definitely be very cool especially if values on reliability will be there. In example, the ibishu covet would only start 30% of the time... That would be fun.

6. dsiOne

dsiOne
    Expand Collapse

It'd be really cool to see a simulated engine like Richard Burns Rally.

7. Mr Skittles

Mr Skittles
    Expand Collapse

That Would be awesome!

Woah just saw lightining

8. Effect

Effect
    Expand Collapse

I think that this will be added if they want to make the game as real as possible. I ror you can drive a car at 200 miles per hour into a wall and the engine would be like "Meh..." that was quite annoying.

9. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

I don't think it was possible to destroy it...

10. Trykkestar

Trykkestar
    Expand Collapse

Even though the cars in RoR were technically indestructible (the body could be completely mangled and twisted but the engine never failed to start right up) it was fun to see how damaged your car could be but still move. It would suck if the car died every time the car crashed into something. If BeamNG implemented selectional repair (the name I personally adapted to being able to choose particular parts of the car to repair) this wouldn't be a problem, but if they don't, you would have to reset your car every time the engine cuts off. That would make demolition derbies like parking lots.

11. joytech22

joytech22
    Expand Collapse

I like your idea for "selectional repair", and they said the cars would be somewhat modular.
    In a destruction derby environment, I guess you could add a bull bar to protect the engine bay or something. lol.

12. Hondune

Hondune
    Expand Collapse

It'd be more realistic and make much more sense though. There is a reason in real life demolition derbys they back into each other instead of constantly doing head on collisions. If you actually had to use that skill in the game it would be sweet.

Just dont be an idiot and constantly crash your cars and you will be fine. Im sure there will be a sort of free ride type mode where damage doesnt matter

13. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

disabling damage would defeat the purpose of this physics engine and the simulation. Go play Gran Turismo or something. and we already have one node/beam game where the engine damage isn't simulated and it is purely sandbox, it's called Rigs of Rods.

#13 Hati, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  14. Hondune

Hondune
    Expand Collapse

I never said "disable damage" now did i? I said there will probably be a free play mode where you can damage your vehicles and it wont matter, as in you will be able to wreck all you want and not have to pay to fix it each time. RoR is an entirely separate project, just because it exists doesnt mean they arent going to have free ride in BeamNG. Its just silly to even think that.

Being able to damage the engine in the main game will be incredible, but there has to be a mode where you can drive your vehicles around, destroy them, and not be punished for it. And that means in free play mode there needs to be either an option for turning engine damage on/off (which most racing games have) or just simply having a vehicle reset button for when your engine dies and you can no longer drive.

#14 Hondune, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  15. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

I can't say I agree with you on that, but I suppose there is a kind of logic behind it if you where purely concerned about testing a vehicle's structure. There is this other line of logic that I run on that goes "if you don't want to break a car then don't crash it". If an engine breaks when you slam it into a wall at 100mph it's not "punishment" if it stops working. The government doesn't damage your car as punishment for having an accident when you run into a schoolbus packed with children and explosives. In reality the car takes damage because materials have a finite strength, as does... I don't know... say an "Engine". It's what would happen. It's already suggested that they want to make a system where you can repair things selectively once you crash the car. ultimately its up to the developers.

#15 Hati, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  16. Trykkestar

Trykkestar
    Expand Collapse

Sorry if I offended or insulted you. I didn't want to make this a hostile conversation. I was just noting that in real life, demolition derby cars have relatively poor engines (why else would the crash them?). When you crash into another car, there is a strong possibility that your engine will die. And what fun would it be if every car stopped after 3-4 crashes? The cars would barely be damaged, just the "internals." Honestly, I think the cars do need some assistance.

17. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Jeremy Clarkson's Hyundai would disagree. Engine survived after a pretty hard head-on (skip to 3:55)

#17 gabester, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  18. Hondune

Hondune
    Expand Collapse

I think you are mis-understanding me. In the main game mode, i 100% agree with your that the vehicles engine should take realistic damage from crashes.

But that is not what im talking about, im saying in a different mode, a free play mode, that is entirely separate from the main career or story mode (or whatever it ends up being called), there needs to be a way to crash vehicles without having to worry about repairing them constantly. A mode where you can load up a bunch of vehicles and slam them into walls on purpose for the fun of it, without having to worry about losing in game money or vehicles.

Im not sure how you could offend me by talking about a video game having engine damage... Its the internet mate, dont take things so seriously!

I was agreeing with you on the fact that your engine could die from many/hard front end crashes, and that is why in real life destruction derbies they try to rear end each other, and avoid damage to the front end as much as possible. I was saying it would be cool to have to do that in the game just like they do in real life. If you dont want your car to stop after 3-4 crashes, put it in reverse!

19. Trykkestar

Trykkestar
    Expand Collapse

"Meh doggy bag's gone off." Hahaha! But seriously. That is very impressive.

#19 Trykkestar, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice