Unsolved Creaking Sound Sensitivity.

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Occam's Razer, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Hello,

I'm making a fully jbeamed bridge, and have come to the point where I wanted to make the bridge provide some metal creaking sounds when under stress. Although I have the sounds ready and although they are playing, I can't seem to tune them to:
    1. Stand out against the monumental engine sounds, and
    2. Not play constantly when the bridge is under minimal stress.
    I can make one happen, but not both simultaneously. Making this worse is the fact that there doesn't seem to be any documentation pertaining to sounds at all.

If there were a feature request here, it'd be this: make a "minStress" value to complement the "maxStress" value, so only a certain range of stress produces noise, as opposed to a steadily increasing volume/pitch. And if there is such a feature already in place, please update the Wiki with this info.

Current settings:
    Code:
    ["nr13","nl10",{"beamDampRebound":500,"soundFile":"vehicles/truss_bridge/sound/creak_2.flac","volumeFactor":20,"decayMode":1,"decayFactor":1,"pitchFactor":1,"maxStress":5000000}],

2. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

The sounds should only play when the beam is actually changing length... It is not quite stress but actually rate of change of length * stress or something, which drives the sound. If it is making sound at rest you may have instability or self collision causing noisy information for the sound. Check the beam stress debug that it isnt flashing red/blue.

I agree a minStress property would be helpful but not implemented, I'll see what I can do about that.

3. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Can you let me know more about all this? I'd love to see if I can come up with a simple crash sounds sytem as a mod. Unless that's already underway in the development. However using beam length changes and makiing scripts to catch that on bodywork would be very nice for detecting percussion that doesn't break beams.

4. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Riiight, completely forgot about bounded beams. I'll have to give that a go. Thank you.

Ah, that explains a lot. So, unless the bridge is actually in motion/currently in the process of being compressed, it won't make sound. Gotcha. And thanks, for looking into some sound system options. Always great to see the BNG feature set blossom.
    --- Post updated ---
    @Darren9 Sadly, bounded beams didn't work. With a beamSpring of 0, the beam never makes noise regardless of how compressed it gets. With a beamSpring of 1, it makes noise constantly regardless of how high the bounding values are. Settings:
    Code:
    {"beamPrecompression":1, "beamType":"|BOUNDED", "beamLongBound":0.9, "beamShortBound":0.9},
    {"beamDeform":270000,"beamStrength":"FLT_MAX"},
    {"beamLimitSpring":50000000,"beamLimitDamp":500},
    {"beamSpring":1,"beamDamp":0},

["tr23","tl18",{"beamDampRebound":0,"soundFile":"vehicles/truss_bridge/sound/creak_2.flac","volumeFactor":500000,"decayMode":1,"decayFactor":2,"pitchFactor":2,"maxStress":25}],

The above results in constant noise.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice