Cpu or Gpu?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Hyakinthos, Sep 10, 2017.

?

Cpu or Gpu

1. Cpu

22.2%
  2. Gpu

77.8%
  1. Hyakinthos

Hyakinthos
    Expand Collapse

I've been thinking about upgrading either my cpu or gpu for a bit. My current cpu is a AMD FX-6350 Six Core Processor and my Gpu is a AMD R7 200 (which i cant find much about because when you search "R7 200" the 240, 250 etc show up) I know neither of them are great, but which one should I change and to what?

2. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Can you open up "DxDiag" and post a picture on this topic please and show the "System" Tab and the "Display" Tab for me please that should help id your gpu

3. Hyakinthos

Hyakinthos
    Expand Collapse

Untitled2.png Untitled3.png
    There you go.

4. nolotank

nolotank
    Expand Collapse

For BeamNG, I would definetely swap out that CPU for one with better single-core performance. BeamNG loves single-core performance. However, this will likely mean a new motherboard too, and I am sure you want to avoid that if possible. It's up to you!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

New cpu means new motherboard.
    new motherboard means new RAM, newer cpus & motherboards almost always use DDR4 memory, or on a few early boards for intel Skylake 6xxx series they use DDR3L, which is *NOT* the same spec as DDR3, though the pin-config is shared. DDR3L is LOW VOLTAGE ddr3 for Skylake 14nm cpu's.
    New motherboard means your existing copy of Windows, IF IT IS OEM VERSION (comes with the computer, not bought from a retail store like Walmart, Best Buy, Fry's etc), if OEM Windows version is your existing copy of Windows, it is tied to your AMD motherboard. You will need to pay for a new copy to maintain your standing in the License Agreement. If you have the retail (boxed) version of Windows, or certain USB STICK copies of Windows 10 (comes on a USB stick not a CD), will allow you to upgrade without issue.
    If your old Windows was retail, and you upgraded to Windows 10 for free, you will be fine, if your old Windows was OEM (came with the PC), you will need a new copy - upgraded or not.

*Ryzen 1200 or 1300x, or if money allows, Ryzen 1600 or1600x are good cpu choices on a serious budget.
    *A B350 motherboard would be a good choice to start out for AMD Ryzen. Names like ASUS, Gigabyte are top names in Motherboards.
    *RAM is usually Samsung B-die ram (if you don't know what it is look on the QVL, qualified Vendor List for the motherboard), or you can buy some Corsair sticks, or something that's reported to be able to work with the AMD Ryzen motherboard and cpu.
    You can usually find the motherboard's qualified vendor list on the manufacturer's website readily available.
    *Windows is around 100$ US-Dollar price, for a copy, on Amazon or Newegg, or just slightly more.
    You need Windows 10 for KabyLake cpu or Ryzen cpu systems or you won't get updates on 7 or 8.

--Good luck!

6. Eastham

Eastham
    Expand Collapse

That Processor is fine for BeamNG, it's not great but it isn't your bottleneck, that AMD R7 video card is what's holding you back.

• Agree Agree x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice