Complex collision/damage @ Online Racing (iRacing new damage model)

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Specht77, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Specht77

Specht77
    Expand Collapse

I know this topic has been brought up many and many times here but holy cow, I'm impressed by the new damage model iRacing is implementing on it's online racing platform

At the moment the new damage model is only available to the skip barber and the dallara F3, but the crashes are already gorgeous and somewhat reallistic as you can see @ 1m43s and 3m22s of the video above

I know that BeamNG damage model is thousand times more complex, but this gives me more hope to see multiplayer in BeamNG in the next few years

2. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Seems like it's soft-body as well, which is pretty damn impressive.

3. BrynCoops

BrynCoops
    Expand Collapse

Looks like something similar to Wreckfest's simplified "softbody" damage model, which also has online multiplayer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. G-Farce

G-Farce
    Expand Collapse

Looks like theyve improved the graphics considerably since I last saw it too. It's really looking like the complete online package now.

As for the soft body Physics Yes. Skip to @3:22 and it does appear to have quite an organic flex to the parts, it's brilliant to look at. Quite similar to BeamNG, they may even have a beam system in place, but I somehow doubt it, thinking they simulate it quite differently, I'm guessing they rely more on parts to break off, and those parts then can flex rather than full body flexing as one giant piece. Would like to see a road car crash head-on 50mph into a wall on that damage model.

5. Littleturdlet

Littleturdlet
    Expand Collapse

It's still just rigid body physics. In a video they showed how they did it. They modeled a damaged version of each part and used a slider to blend between the undamaged and damaged model.

• Informative Informative x 5
  6. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Ooooooh. Trickery I see.

7. Specht77

Specht77
    Expand Collapse

New cars are getting the new damage model into iRacing, jump to 57s of the video to see massive crashes

8. G-Farce

G-Farce
    Expand Collapse

It's actually very good looking and works great for an damage model update to iracing, seems they've been working on it for a long while, because the quality is right up there.

Skip to 1:40 of that vid you'll see it has more black particle debris than Beamng, so Beam got some catching up to do

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice