1. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Competition Idea - Automation Campaign Championship

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pcmoreno, Jul 30, 2020.

1. pcmoreno

pcmoreno
    Expand Collapse

So here's the thing, I love the automation campaign, exporting the cars I make there to Beam and just drive them for fun or time-trials. However, I suck at driving(don't even have steering wheel) and I would really find it extremely fun to have other people seriously driving the cars from that game-play.

With this in mind I got the idea of starting a competition for beam.NG users which would go like this:

I, with my automation company, would be the car provider and would submit to the drivers one car per decade of gameplay. So there would be a round for a car designed in the 40's, one for the 50's and so forth until the last one designed in 2010's. The car's would have to sell properly in a decent game scenario(100% competition) and have above 100 points of desirability too. So properly built production cars and not fantasy things with exorbitant prices.

A timetrial track would be selected for each car and then you, the driver, would record your attempt and submit it publicly somewhere(youtube for example, or post your replay file in the forum)

Points would be awarded for each round and the driver with most points wins the championship.

11 rounds of different sorts of cars from different decades. Does this sound fun to you?

The first thing in my list is to gauge the interest of you guys. There might even be a small prize in the end depending on your reactions. I think if at least 5 or 6 drivers would commit to this it would make it quite fun for me to run it. And offcourse I would not participate in the competition myself.

How it could play out:
    - Every week or twice a week I would send the car for the round to the registered contestants(for example via weTransfer) you would then have 30 mins or 1h to do the selected timetrial. Wetransfer tells me when someone downloads the file and then I can check if you either published publicly or emailed me a beam replay in the accorded time.
    - No changing anything in the car file or inside in Beam. Yes, I guess this might be tricky to really enforce so trust would be necessary here. But what would the point in cheating anyway?
    - The timetrial track would be selected at least with some days in advance so you can practice the track with other cars.
    - I would make regular posts about the cars, the rounds and the company status.

Would you like to try this?

Interested so far:
    - Thomas A-N
    - vidderus

#1 pcmoreno, Jul 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Thomas A-N

Thomas A-N
    Expand Collapse

It sounds like a decent idea, but, for less experienced users or players that are struggling with campaign mode, there should be a separate competition for sandbox cars as well.

To be honest, some people (like me) are terrible at making cars in the campaign mode, the sandbox mode is open to everybody and therefore, more people would want to enter and try to win. The campaign competition would be good for more experienced players while the sandbox competition would be more suitable for newer players.

Overall, I do hope this competition goes ahead and maybe even a sandbox version of it will go ahead too.

3. pcmoreno

pcmoreno
    Expand Collapse

I think you misunderstood me, so probably I was unclear. The only person playing the Automation Campaign would be me. The contestants will all drive the same cars created by me.
    So, in summary, this is a beamNG driving competition. The background is simply that the cars being driven are created through one campaign in automation.

4. Thomas A-N

Thomas A-N
    Expand Collapse

Oh, I see, a competition for other people to build designs and see who is the best at building cars would still be nice as an extra activity for other Automation car designers, but this sounds quite interesting and would still be quite a lot of fun.

Also, you were quite clear actually, I just skim-read it. Sorry about this.

I would like to participate, but I don't have a YouTube account and I am not willing to get one anytime soon.

To be honest, I would like to try driving your designs though.

#4 Thomas A-N, Jul 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. pcmoreno

pcmoreno
    Expand Collapse

Cool, I'll add you to the interested participants list. Youtube was just an idea, I think we can probably do fine with the beam replays.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thomas A-N

Thomas A-N
    Expand Collapse

I am so interested with this! I love your idea!
    --- Post updated ---
    How about we take a picture of our time after the lap (in Time Trial mode) instead of posting a replay, therefore, people with bad internet (like me) can post their time without having to wait for a long time for it to upload.

Also, where do you find replays in the BeamNG files anyway?

• Like Like x 1
  7. pcmoreno

pcmoreno
    Expand Collapse

Documents/BeamNG.drive/replays

8. vidderus

vidderus
    Expand Collapse

Very interesting i would like to participate! :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thomas A-N

Thomas A-N
    Expand Collapse

Ok, thank you.
    --- Post updated ---
    I just did a 2:32 second replay of my Martel Rumbler going around the Automation test track, the file size was 32mb, bigger than my mods*. For people with bad internet (like me) posting a replay is out of the question.

You can find my Martel Rumbler here: https://www.beamng.com/resources/martel-rumbler.13464/

Another thing, why can't you just put your mods on the repository?

*This isn't as fast as I can go, I could easily knock it down to 1:50, maybe 1:40.

#9 Thomas A-N, Jul 30, 2020
  10. pcmoreno

pcmoreno
    Expand Collapse

Well, it's seems it's just you two guys. I'm still willing to go with it since I''m still very much playing Automation regularly and exporting cars to beam.ng.
    I just finished one campaign last night so a brand new company is up in the making.

Are you guys still up to it? What are you guys's timezones? I'm in Amsterdam(UTC/GMT +2 hours)
    --- Post updated ---
    You can take 25% off from it if you compress it with RAR for example. But how bad is you connection? You make it sound like it's 1990 ;)

11. Thomas A-N

Thomas A-N
    Expand Collapse

For me, England BST (-2 hours)

My download speed is 1MB/PS. On BeamNG it thinks it's 0.5MB/PS. I'll just stick to taking a picture of the time after time trial.

I would still love to take part in this.

12. pcmoreno

pcmoreno
    Expand Collapse

13. Thomas A-N

Thomas A-N
    Expand Collapse

It says that I do not have permission to view the page or perform the action.

14. pcmoreno

pcmoreno
    Expand Collapse

ah, they need to get approved first.

15. Thomas A-N

Thomas A-N
    Expand Collapse

Remember, the earliest it can be approved is Monday.

16. vidderus

vidderus
    Expand Collapse

17. Thomas A-N

Thomas A-N
    Expand Collapse

18. vidderus

vidderus
    Expand Collapse

oh sorry. i did not know

19. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

So the idea for this competition is that you will make a car, send it to us, we then try our best at setting the best time possible on a time trial & you post about it here?

20. pcmoreno

pcmoreno
    Expand Collapse

Ok, so I started... and made it into the 60's so I think I'll avoid bankruptcy so we'll have a full gameplay.

Founded in 1946 in Gasmea, Autobeamer cars designed two successful cars for the first round and I'll let you vote for the one to use in the first round:

First came the Crank, a delivery van with 2 trims available(1946 and 1950)
    And 1 year later, the Barcelona, a premium sedan with a strong Inline 4 engine(1947)

The Crank 40.8:

The Barcelona 115:

Both these have trims going into the 50's so they'll be up for choosing as well in the next round. You can now vote ;)
    --- Post updated ---
    First Round rule set:
    • The timetrial track is Industrial Site - West Mixed Circuit
    • 2 Laps
    • No rolling start allowed
    • Standard direction. So not reversed
    • I'll post the chosen mod tomorrow around 15:00 GMT
    • 4 points for the winner, 2 for 2nd and 1 for 3rd
    • Save the replay and send it to me(pcmoreno@yahoo.com) or post it here. (Thomas, even a 30mb replay should zip to about 20ish, and if you then weTransfer it to me it should be doable)
    • More damage than just losing the rear view mirrors is not allowed.
    • You'll have until the end of the day to submit your try.
    There's two reasons for the replays. The first one is fairness so everyone can see how you did it. The second is that I'll try to do mashup youtube video with the replays and then post it after every round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice