Community Picked Modpack

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Srockzz, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Srockzz

Srockzz
    Expand Collapse

Back in the RoR days i remember when you installed the game it gave you the option to install a community picked modpack (Either that or i somehow pirated a free game) so you could have some mods that where picked by the community and sort of included in the stock game if you agreed on the installed downloading it.
    The thing is that we have a lot of great mods for this game that some may call even dev quality, or close to it. So why not include them in the base game, or in a modpack?
    For Example, 99's S-Series is a Dev Quality mod, if we included it in the game, it would not stick out, and it would add more content to the game. Ofcourse, all this giving the author the credit he deserves, and ofcourse, agreeing in the first place to the mod being added into the game as stock content, or as part of a modpack

Now, i would like to hear why this is a bad idea, since all im saying is from the perspective of a regular user, not a mod developer or a game dev. But some points come to my mind

-Mods not being up to game standards, causing a slow degradation of quality of game content, as this modded content could be mixed up with stock content
    -Licences and Royalties

Remember this is just an idea, i have no idea if this has been suggested before, and i may have no idea at all at what i am suggesting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. CN877

CN877
    Expand Collapse

In my opinion 99's S-Series is not a dev-quality mod. I admit it is one of the best ever made for BeamNG, but it's still not perfect. Look at the panel gaps for example (particularly noticeable on the trunk).

In my opinion the Satsuma 210 and Gavril Gladiator/Dodge Coronet are pretty close to dev-quality, however as they are heavily based on IRL vehicles there may be some issues such as potential copyright violations and not fitting to the BeamNG lore.

Although this basically sums up your points:

Overall I definitely don't think mods should ever be added as stock content, and I see issues with an official modpack.

Maybe there can be a thread created by devs listing all of the 'all-star' mods?

3. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

I agree with crocodile. Btw which car is the 99 S series?

4. CN877

CN877
    Expand Collapse

NinetyNine’s ETK S-Series.

5. A Turbocharged Turbocharger

A Turbocharged Turbocharger
    Expand Collapse

most dev made cars are also heavily based on irl cars. Obviously, the hopper is a jeep wrangler and the grand marshal is a ford crown victoria, so I don't think that's a problem.

6. Srockzz

Srockzz
    Expand Collapse

Your solution seems like a better way to tackle the problem. The thing is, you are right about the s series, it was the first one to pop up to my mind. The Gladiator is a better example of this. Still, you are right.
    As for copyright, im sure that wont be an issue, as most cars that are currently in the game are based on IRL cars to some degree or another. Still, fair point as well

• Like Like x 1
  7. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

The Gavril Gladiator looks much more like the Coronet then any ingame It's obvious that the Grand Marshal is based on a Crown Vic, but you can't easily mistake one for another, like you could with the Gladiator. So maybe that isn't the best way to go after it.
    are linked

I think if done correctly, a group of mods that are linked ingame/during download is the best thing to do. Adding modded vehicles to the game could feel like a downgrade in quality (Not saying the mods are bad, but there are still differences) and could feel like a stain in the official vehicles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice