WIP Citroën C4 Coupe (2005)

Discussion in 'Community Mods - Archived' started by Keepermaster, May 18, 2014.

?

Do you like the Citroën C4 Coupe?

1. Yes.

87.4%
  2. Not at all.

12.6%
  1. Keepermaster

Keepermaster
    Expand Collapse

"Yay, another WIP thread with content that would never be released!" Yes, I know, this is probably what you think. If it fails, then true. I'm new to modeling, so the risk is there. Anyways: I am trying to model this Citroën C4 Coupe, I will release it when I'm done, no beta release (Closed Beta only). Anyways, I was wondering if I am doing everything correctly.
    Poly flow isn't looking too good in my opinion, and the thing on the edge is terribly made. Some advice on how to keep poly flow smooth would be great :) I've been working 8-9 hours on it now.

The hood itself seems to be smooth enough, but the little thing by the light is ugly. I'll try smoothing it as much as I can. It seems like it's a little bit bulky too.

Also: I can't stand the car, I am modeling it because it had a good blueprint. I don't like new cars :p

NOTE: I am restarting, I'll upload pictures when I get progress again.

Update: I'll return to the project after learning myself how to get a perfect poly flow, as of the fact that I seemingly can't manage to do that yet.

Update 24/5: I found a tool named Subsurf, seems like a really nifty tool to keep poly flow! Is it a good idea to use it?

#1 Keepermaster, May 18, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  2. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Your polygon density is quite high for the stage your mesh is at. I'd advise starting again with simpler geometry, adding finer details as you complete more of the car. Maintaining consistent polygon density and polyflow is mucho easier when working with fewer polygons. As for your current polyflow, it's a little messy, but quite good for a beginner. Kudos for keeping all your polygons as quads.

Gorgeous car, would absolutely buy one if I could deal with finnicky French engineering :D

3. Keepermaster

Keepermaster
    Expand Collapse

Okay, thank you, I'll start over then. Practice makes perfect :D

4. pillojon106

pillojon106
    Expand Collapse

Keep trying on this project..

5. Keepermaster

Keepermaster
    Expand Collapse

Alright, I tried again. Hopefully it has turned out better this time. Not fully finished with the hood though.

(imported from here)The thin lines are the small "steeps" in the hood, look at this one:

(imported from here)
    Please tell me if I am doing anything wrong.

6. slysenko

slysenko
    Expand Collapse

I'd say - do not create one single part, it's better to create rough shape of whole body first and then gradually increase number of polys and go into details.

7. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

There's nothing wrong with modelling part by part. I find it easier to manage my topology when modelling separate meshes over modelling the bodyshell as one piece. If you have good control of your geometry and edgeloops, (or at least better control than me) you could model the body as one piece, since polyflow is better maintained with this method.

For now, stick with whatever works for you.

8. Keepermaster

Keepermaster
    Expand Collapse

I'm terrible at keeping edgeloops, so I'll go trough some tutorials before I continue. I'll take a little break, because I had to sit 3-4 days in a row modeling on a school project, I have a terrible headache and not in the mood to make anything at the moment. I'll return to the project when I'm ready for it again (a couple of days?). Sorry about this.

9. anselme

anselme
    Expand Collapse

dead

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

c08b02840b92e67d8374bec5254a32a9.png
    Thanks Captain Obvious...
    And thanks for the bump...

• Agree Agree x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice