Cities: Skylines

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by General S'mores, Apr 1, 2018.

1. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

So, I finally decided to make an thread about this city simulator. As an discussion about this game, I'll mention what I like and dislike about this game:

Pros
    • DLC making the game more enjoyable and fun
    • An better simulation game than SimCity 2013
    • So many mods that also improve the game in various subjects
    • Decent-Good vanilla assets
    Cons
    • Loading takes longer than SC2013
    • Crashes plenty of times, especially when multiple mods are in use or under lag
    • Abundance of mods can ruin the game, either by glitching or being unplayable
    I'd like to see your opinions on this game if you do own this game, or are interested in the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tesla66

Tesla66
    Expand Collapse

I love how large of a community it has

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Got to agree with you on there. It might be because of how it was above SimCity 2013, which failed to be an superior successor to the previous game. Plus, it's way more open to customization, unlike SC2013.

4. Tesla66

Tesla66
    Expand Collapse

oh yeah definitely

5. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I like Cities: Skylines, I think it's absolutely great, but it's so fussy about performance. Its loading times are simply the worst. I am going to make sure the next computer I get will be fully capable of running it, along with others like BeamNG.

Last I played C:S, I absolutely sucked at it. My first city was Portwood, but I couldn't ever get it up to a high population. I honestly don't know what I was doing wrong. I've made multiple Portwood maps, all of which saw unfavorable results. I think part of my problem is that even though I had a bunch of commercial zones, the town kept somehow draining my funds faster than a Hummer drains gasoline.

Got any tips for me next time I play?

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

Did you have high/low taxes?

7. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I experimented around with taxes, since I tried not to encourage the population into leaving, though I still had a couple of cases where places ended up abandoned.

8. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

That could be an contender for the issue.

9. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Response to mods: well duh. Of course lots of mods will do that.

As for CS, it's one of the most well made and enjoyable city sim games I've ever played. EA really dropped the ball on their last SC.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Another thing is that whenever I raised taxes, it would get to a point where pretty much the entire town was complaining. So to shut them up, I lowered the taxes.

True that, though I like I said, one of its major problems that weighs heavily on it is performance issues. You'd think a game like that wouldn't require such a high end computer.

11. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I know, but the last thing I would want is glitching by mods, or errors caused by them. I do agree that it's well made anyways.
    --- Post updated ---
    Even when I have less than 100 mods, it still takes an while to load.

12. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

Tbh I expect that something like that would require such a high end computer. You're potentially rendering thousands of buildings at once, as well as simulating vehicles, and people that all need to calculate pathfinding and such. There's lots of things going on in the background.

13. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

There's also the map itself. Trees, water, and the theme are the examples of so.

14. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

What I'm really referring to is loading times when you first start a map. I honestly think BeamNG's loading times are less agonizing to sit through. That was the kicker for me. I do believe somebody made a mod that modified the loading times, so I'll definitely see what it'll do next time I run the game.

But as for when you're in game, I fully get what you're saying. However, I noticed that a lot of the vanilla assets appear to be very low poly.

15. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

My loading times when I start a map are ~5-10 seconds . Even less when loading save files. -shrug-

16. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

That can be an reason why there are so many mods, some even high-quality. (Ex. ninjanoobslayer)

17. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Interesting. Though you probably have a computer with better specs. Mine is a little underpowered, but it's been a fighter.

Mods could be my issue, but I'm not 100% certain about some of it.

Speaking of mods, modders like NNS has inspired me to want to attempt modding C:S in the future.

18. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I'd be interested if somebody tries to make an C:S mod that shares similarities to BeamNG, like an D-Series inspired pickup or an Port-based map.

19. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

Funny you should say that. Some mods I'd attempt to do is porting BeamNG cars over, including the Pigeon and T-Series.

What I'd probably have to do is strip the cars of almost everything but their bodies, and somehow reduce their polygon numbers. Does Blender do that?

20. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

I never used Blender, but @Dummiesman might be able to inform you of so.

I'm planning to make my own city soon. Any name suggestions for it? (It's based in Los Angeles)
    [My city name suggestion would be Los Rjecos]

#20 General S'mores, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice