Cars that were once common but now very rare in your area.

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by samnsparky99, Jul 23, 2016.

1. samnsparky99

samnsparky99
    Expand Collapse

This is my first thread so sorry if i did not do a good job d:

This thread is about cars that were once a common sight around your area but now are a very rare sight to see.

Mine:

Early 1990s Nissan and mazda.
    Oldsmobile.
    Dodge omni
    Suzuki
    mitsubishi (im too lazy to find the correct spelling...)
    Ford probe.
    Old people driving 1970s and 80s land yachts

Yours?

2. James Smith

James Smith
    Expand Collapse

Corvettes, I used to see quite a few, but now I don't see very many.

3. xaxaxm28

xaxaxm28
    Expand Collapse

My town used to be home to a bunch of Alpines and R5 Turbo but now they've disspeared

• Like Like x 1
  4. machine

machine
    Expand Collapse

Old Volvos and Saabs (starting to reappear as museum vehicles). Also some early- to mid-80s Nissans and Toyotas.

5. samnsparky99

samnsparky99
    Expand Collapse

There used to be TONS of dodge omnis back when i was younger you still se them but nowhere near as often as you used to.

6. MegaEpicDaniel 2

MegaEpicDaniel 2
    Expand Collapse

BMW z4's,they where common for a while, back where I live right, now there really hard to find cars my family is planing to buy a 2009 model and it really challenging to find one in my area and carmax did use to have one and its sold.

7. geronimo9

geronimo9
    Expand Collapse

Holden Monaro. There are still a couple in Melbourne ( a couple is not many ) but here in Perth there extremely rare.

8. IvelinV8

IvelinV8
    Expand Collapse

Ladas
    They were once seen on every corner, then democracy came in, fucked up the economy and when things slowed a bit ( going downhill) people started buying cheap european cars as they were more economical, more confortable and a bit more reliable until you change the parts with those found in our shops(cheap chinese sh*t).
    And so the value of Ladas dropped, many were abused by gypsies, other were used as tractors and thirds were scrapped right away because the owners could afford the taxes of two cars and had no space.
    And here we are now, when some people still view them as cheap common cars and a few enthusiasts have cars in perfect condition. Gypsies drive E30s, E36 and if they have more children(more money from the government, that's their primary income afterall) even E46, all in 316/318 form, with M-Power badges all over them.
    And we come to mine, which had quite a bit of luck- it was first used by a woman, then my dad bought it, as it was his first car he took good care of it. Then in 2004/2005 we bought a Passat B3 Variant, which was quite unlucky(with both spare parts and next owners, it's probably scrap now) but the Lada had luck- my dad had a free garage, so it went there, then, around August 2006 my cousin went to drive it around a bit and from then it has not moved even a centimeter, until this year, I have kind of started a restoration project, except that I can't do shit by myself as I don't have any knowledge or experience(except for changing fuel/air filter and cleaning/changing sparkplugs because that's all the free time my dad could dedicate to his car). So far the only problems we've had are the fuel system being clogged with what is supposed to be gasoline but it's more like black gold and the liquid in the gas/fuel tank was wine red and didn't smell like gasoline.
    Well, that's a bit of a story. Why did I write it? No idea.
    That may have been a bit off topic...
    Here are the variants that we had a lot of(basically all the old ones):

2101(The original. Fiat 124 with over 800 changes, the most significant ones being the engine(an entirely new 1200 ohc instead of the fiat ohv), rear drum brakes instead of discs and the use of thicker metal to withstand the snow and salt)
    2102(estate/kombi/wagon 2101),
    2103(four headlights, king of like fiat 131/132, commonly found with 1500cc engine)
    2104(2105/7 estate/kombi/wagon)
    2105(like mine),(An entirely new outside, platform is identical to the others', most commonly found with 1300cc engine)
    2106(sportier, more luxurious 2103 with 1600/1500cc engine),
    2107(luxurious 2105, most commonly found with 1500cc engine, instead of the 2105's 1300cc)
    Basically people still think of them as cheap common cars, and the common part is only viable for Russia.
    They aren't perfect, but they are RWD, boxy and perfect for sleepers.

9. drivingaddiction

drivingaddiction
    Expand Collapse

These used to be like every corner, but now, I can see my neighbor only has one.

E46 M3s, loved them.

10. CarBro74

CarBro74
    Expand Collapse

I see a lot. In some lands there can be very few of some car.
    OT: The Hyundai Veloster Turbo. Used to see it sometimes, but barely anymore.

11. Vinh

Vinh
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Old Toyotas (Like the Crown, pre 2005 camry, Land Cruiser), Ford Pinto

12. KozyKat

KozyKat
    Expand Collapse

Used to see these all the time when they first came out, now it's like they've disappeared.

Attached Files:

• 20101019_2011-chevy-volt_612mz.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ktheminecraftfan

ktheminecraftfan
    Expand Collapse

Late 90s early 2000s cars are starting to fall off the road over here as they are now seen as end of life cars. its hard to think that cars like that would of still been fixed up and driven 40 years ago as cars were expensive back then (tariffs on imported cars most cars were assembled from CKD kits)

Now as I think of it most of my parents vehicles are seen as end of life vehicles.

#13 ktheminecraftfan, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice