Career Mode

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by nfinitysound, Apr 24, 2016.

1. nfinitysound

nfinitysound
    Expand Collapse

I know the developers already have plans for a career mode. Which I'm very glad to hear! not that I could ever get bored of the free sandbox mode.

Just a suggestion if it helps. I always like the concept of the video game Street Legal (2002). I know this game was poorly coded and overall not the best game but I liked the idea of buying a new or used car and starting your 'career mode' with fixing and updated components of your vehicle. Then doing races throughout the map. With Beamng, this can be so much more then just races, but other types of missions such as, off-roading from point a to b. Doing deliveries, vehicle chases, and so much more.

I also kinda like the visual way Street Legal had players install new/fix vehicle parts and buying them in game (even though I know Street Legal's menu system was super buggy)

Let me know if anyone agrees or has other ideas.

#1 nfinitysound, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Deritsuku

Deritsuku
    Expand Collapse

I like the concept! Also, there should be like some kind of career mode where the main goal is to create as much damage (like care pile-ups, for example) as possible. I know this was done in several games, but it would be a really great addition to BeamNG. And who doesn't like creating a massive car pileup?

3. Drivver

Drivver
    Expand Collapse

^ ATM my PC :D

OP this have been proposed a lot of times. Well, one of main devs said that he liked this idea too, so it's very possible, that we'll have something similar to SLRR campaign. But there's yet another thread about it I'll add my vision too. So here it is, as short as I could:

Forgive me this very chaotic and weak English. What I'd love to see would be "hardcore" mode, where you start for example in Ibishu Covet Beater (optionally, have like 500-1000$ and can spent it on one of available used vehicles in bad condition), you own not well equipped old garage, and have "one life" I mean 1 crash and you have to repair/replace everything which is broken at realistic looking costs, so for example if you crashed a wall at 40MPH car isn't worth repairing and you can sell parts which are in good condition and rest goes to scrap yard, possible legal job or possibility to rent a car (from friend or something) to gain money for new car or repair if you already can't race because your car is damaged or opponents are too good, and you have to improve your vehicle to win with them. Also better garages, then you'd have place for another vehicles. Special events for rare parts. All kind of races, 1/2 mile drags, circuits in city, legal races around Hirochi raceway, rally cross, drift competitions, off-roading, destruction derby and gymkhanas. I'd take everything... ToCA 2 style with some 1st person cut scenes, combined with NFS MW and PRO STREET carrier goals and SLRR like tuning mechanics and choosing possibility to do what you like to do, so you can become drift king, drag master with some extreme powerful cars at end, illegal racer or doing delivery one time jobs (like in Spin Tires) with pigeon you can carry just a little so little money to gain with it, with vanster more etc. etc. till T-series long range heavy loads (but you have to buy your delivery vehicle and maintain it too). Also possibility for gaining money just as mechanic. Completing game in 100% would require like in NFS PS becoming master of every kind of races, beating bosses, but wouldn't be nesesery to do it for all of them, I mean becoming "street legend" would made you complete carrier mode, but it could be like 50% of actual game, just because not everybody likes to do destruction derby, drifts, drags or something, so beating 3 bosses and you gain "street legend" title, but you can continue. There are compromises, just fast example. Being master in one competition mode would give you easy road to become master in 2nd just because you'd already have money for very good vehicle to start with, so every branch would need "reputation", and will have TOP racers, with X reputation you have to use X class cars to beat some not important fellas to gain "reputation" to be able to beat one of TOP racers and climb in list + buying parts would require "branch reputation" too ( yeah it sounds very wacky but... ) I mean if there are for example stages, original, used, improved/tuned and 1st stage available to buy at every time, 2nd stage available to buy only at certain competitions. 3rd stage available at like 75% of branch progress from some "special guy, who create/import/steal - choose one*" those parts. Stage 4 only to win after beating certain TOP list guys - the higher on list, the higher chance for stage 4 part. (also another modes, for non masochists kind of peoples. And intro inspired by NFS MW, like you had very good car and have been racing for pink slips, but got sabotaged, and you lost it would made a lot of peoples wanna revenge and give them good "fuel" to play. Just like NFS MW did. Well it's just overall comment without details, actually this is my wet dream about BeamNG.

I know that it's impossible (It is possible, but I know it will never look like this, because it would need like 1-3 very big maps, bigger team, too much of effort and more money) and may sound childish, but this is my vision of perfect game on BeamNG engine. At this moment BeamNG as it is became breakthrough, but in my eyes with this what I wrote it would be master piece of 21st century.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. lukerules117

lukerules117
    Expand Collapse

IMO that kind of story just doesn't work well in a racing game unless it's all really cheesy but designed to be like that. Thats one thing I feel the new Need for Speed did really well especially with the how the live action cutscenes, it reminds me a lot of older games in a good way.

5. Superchu Frostbite

Superchu Frostbite
    Expand Collapse

I would like an option to take the car apart (a la Car Mechanic Simulator) to replace broken parts and upgrade.

6. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

Why put so much dev time in eye candy that will become monotonous and boring, I want to see how they'll balence out the repair system or how they'd make it functional without required the player to completely repair everything 100% every time, and will there be a save load system so you can just load when you wreak or will repairs be cheap?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Superchu Frostbite

Superchu Frostbite
    Expand Collapse

Good lord man, proofread before you post.
    1) Because it would be optional. 2) Because I don't find menus satisfying. 3) Because at that point it becomes less eye candy and more of an actual feature. 4) Because the game is supposed to simulate in-depth parts.
    I'm guessing campaign will utilize an auto-save function for this very reason, so people can't cheat (As easily.) Likely the game would save after every event (Police chase, race, delivery, etc.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

I did, but this time a boat load of minor grammar errors made it through. I don't see why it matters since it's far from unreadable and is good enough to get the point across. When you realize how many people here aren't good at English for geographical reasons this doesn't bother you as much. [as long as it isn't completely broken like tragic phone texting trainwreaks]

I also don't know what exactly I was doing during the post, half the time I'm watching a YouTube video or talking to someone on social media, when I post on some of the many random threads I happen to come across.

But in the end I must apologize since I usually hold my self to an above average standard of English in general.

I'm sorry, the only reason why I was being like that was because the dev team is small and this is a rather big niche feature that most wouldn't care about, or would simply become bored of.

The dev team isn't really big enough to create basically a game in a game worth of development for a feature not worth it in the end. Sorry but that's part of game design, leaving more then half of the best ideas out, sad to say. There simply isn't enough time in the world for great games to have endless features that even game designers wish were possible.

Yeah that's how I'd like to see it, because at this point I already know there is a great chance career will happen considering it has been floating around with the devs supporting the idea since 2012. But I just hope they can figure out how to make it right. There is so much balancing here that go tragically wrong, no other game was able to simulate physics to the point of wreaking cars in a single crash where you had to repair them with it all maintaining that realistic setting and feel.

#8 KennyWah, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. skodakenner

skodakenner
    Expand Collapse

what also would be awesome would be a mixture between stunt career car mechanic sim and street legal

10. Superchu Frostbite

Superchu Frostbite
    Expand Collapse

I'm so sorry, I'm an English as a Second Language teacher, so I like to tear apart as much grammar as I can, both in the classroom and out. When you deal with correcting grammatical mistakes all day, every day, it sort of becomes a habit.
    I do get where you are coming from, but my first job out of college was as a part time auto mechanic. I understand what I proposed is a huge amount of work, and it will never be implemented. My experiences with automobiles are split between driving, racing and fixing them to run like new.

Lastly, I would like to thank you for your civil tone. I'm sorry if I offended you by correcting you on a few things. If you really want to improve your writing, I would consider trying to keep your thoughts down to 1 or 2 ideas per sentence. I find that if people try to do more, they will make run-ons. Run-on sentences usually compounds themselves with punctuation mistakes because it's difficult to keep everything together.
    OT: I just hope we can buy used/clapped out cars and restore/flip them for cash.

#10 Superchu Frostbite, Apr 25, 2016
  11. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

I wasn't offended, it clued me into how bad my post turned out to be, which I would have otherwise overlooked. I'm sorry most of my posts turn out to be run ons, unless I feel to dedicate 20-30 minutes to write and revise a post more then once, my posts often come across as rushed and only contain a feasible level of grammar.
    I would love to see a system like this. Let's say you wreak your vehicle with a hard frontal crash, but your rear bumper and a few odds and ends are in tact. You would then proceed to sell them off to make cash and give desperate players parts they need for a discount.
    --- Post updated ---
    It would be pretty sweet if you could do stunt shows where you entertain to make a quick buck, but risk your ride.

#11 KennyWah, Apr 25, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice