Cant get Photoshop CS5 Extended to open .dds files

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by rhigosrebel, Aug 25, 2013.

1. rhigosrebel

rhigosrebel
    Expand Collapse

So I downloaded the plugin from NVIDIA and installed it, but when I open the skin I want to edit, I get this:
    oMdBx7o.png
    crThukK.png
    LuLioXU.png

I would use GIMP 2.0 as it opens fine in there but I cant use GIMP atall, i've used photoshop for so long its weird, I have seen some people on here saying they use photoshop to edit skins, I dont see how because this is all I get, if someone could direct me in the right direction that would be great.

2. Kilo_Delta

Kilo_Delta
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, it doesn't really work for me either (using CS6).
    So what I do is to open the .dds in Paint.NET and save it as a PNG, open it in Photoshop to edit it, I then save it as a PNG again, open that up in Paint.NET and save it as a .dds.
    If GIMP can also open and save as a .dds, you could obviously use it instead of Pain.NET. :p

3. rhigosrebel

rhigosrebel
    Expand Collapse

YOU ARE A GENIUS I LOVE YOU!

4. theWOODman

theWOODman
    Expand Collapse

I was having the same problem as well. I searched forever until I came across this older version of the DDS plugin that works for CS6. I can't remember where I found it, but it works.

As always, use your virus scanner to scan it just in case. I've scanned before and found no problems.

You have to create a "File Formats" folder in your plugin folder to place the DDS file in.

Attached Files:

5. daveywaveyHD

daveywaveyHD
    Expand Collapse

Sometimes the "Channels" aren't all ticked (Colour channels) which makes seeing the skins impossible. I had the same problem. (I use Nvidia plugin by the way.)

6. kirbyguy22

kirbyguy22
    Expand Collapse

Uncheck Load Mipmaps.
    Mipmaps are basically LOD textures which is why it starts from the original size and it keeps halving until it's only 1px wide.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice