Can you make maps in blender?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by lJITimate, Feb 24, 2018.

1. lJITimate

lJITimate
    Expand Collapse

I know that some assets are made in blender but what about a whole map? If so, how do import it?

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Sure do.
    Simply import as if it was a Static Object.

The issue with that is you won't be able to use any of the terrain tools, as technically that would be an object, and not a terrain for the game.
    Else you can render it out as an greyscale heightmap to be imported in game (File > Import Heightmap)

3. Toddolius

Toddolius
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for my stupid question but by terrain tools, do you also mean trees? Or will trees just be snapped on to the terrain too like it would on a real ingame terrain

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Yes, most thingsterrain-related won't be available.
    Includes tree, groundcover, decalsroad, etc

5. Toddolius

Toddolius
    Expand Collapse

Ah okay, thanks for the quick reply :) But then just one more tiny question, is there a way to either add the trees but within the program or grass orrrrr

By that I mean the BeamNG trees but place them by myself?

6. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

You can place them yourself, one-by-one, as brushes and stuff like that are only for true terrains.

7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

What if one does terrain in blender and in F11 world editor in Beam adjusts terrain to object by using that brush tool, then removes that terrain mesh object, would that make any good or just waste huge load of time? I'm sure someone has tested that already.

8. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

That's possible, but at that point aren't you better simply rendering an heightmap and importing it?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Ewanc

Ewanc
    Expand Collapse

Check out the Map in a Month Tutorial; it explains the proper techniques and workflow specifically for blender. You don't necessarily need to use real world data and you could generate your own design if you want. I have adapted that workflow to 3DS max and its by far the most efficient and easy to follow.

I started out working solely with polygon geometry. It was the only way I knew how to build, from my experience with the sim racing games. Since then Ive gained an understanding of Torque 3D, plus the editor has gotten much better and there are generally more things documented. The only case when its not ideal to use terrain are for very long closed courses like a highway or underground tunnel system, where all the detail is along a narrow path and very little detail is needed for the scenery.

My latest project Pikes Peak is a narrow 20 meter wide path until you get 2/3s's of the way up and the trees stop. I was conflicted on whether to use meshes for the bottom to save on terrain, but it was too much modeling work that way. Plus no ground cover or decal roads, so it would look crude and inconsistent. I ended up stretching a 8192 terrain to 10Km to get the realestate I needed. The down-side is that most of the terrain is just no mans land.

My workflow is now like this;
    • Get GIS data > import it into my 3d program > export as a heightmap image > Import into the editor as terrain
    • 3d model important details (walls, buildings, etc) to fit to the GIS geometry in the 3d editor > export them as DEA and write the material.cs files and load them into the editor.
    • Most of the other basics stuff is done in-editor with its tools

#8 Ewanc, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice