1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Camshaft sounds and profile

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by FFIVGUY, Aug 19, 2019.

1. FFIVGUY

FFIVGUY
    Expand Collapse

But I don't see anything about depth and pitch in the jbeam files

2. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

You'd have to manually adjust the referencing of sample file vs rpm in the blend files in order to change the perceived pitch of the sounds, there is no jbeam pitch bending available.

3. CN877

CN877
    Expand Collapse

These were the settings I was referring to.
    Depth and pitch were admittedly not the correct words to describe it

Attached Files:

• Capture.jpg
  4. FFIVGUY

FFIVGUY
    Expand Collapse

How would I do that?
    --- Post updated ---
    How would I do that?

5. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Welp... you can basically make any engine sound you wish... but it isn't going to be as easy as just dragging a slider to dial in an sound and call it a day... your gonna have to do some legwork unfortunately especially if you want really specific sounds.

This is how you would do it professionally

but let's be honest, more than likely we, as moders, either don't have the equipment required to do high quality recordings like this, or, arguably more importantly, have access to the car you wish to record.

So we have to switch up to a more applicable method for our limited resources...

Granted to make this method work with Beam, your going to need a lot more than just one snip of audio like they do here... I would argue at minimum you need idle, 2000 (on and off power), 4000 (on and off power), and 6000 (on and off power) which would be about 7 different samples to get an at least decent quality sound.

The easiest method to creating rather believable sounds right now though is to design the engine you want the sound for in Automation. It will properly simulate just about anything you throw at it engine wise (dunno if it has cam sounds... never listened that hard) and simulate it believably. Then, once you are done, you can export the car to Beam and just snag the sound files for your project... with a few parameters being modified to work in your vehicle of choice, you can end up with some VERY good audio.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FFIVGUY

FFIVGUY
    Expand Collapse

Will we ever have proper carburetor sounds?
    --- Post updated ---
    --- Post updated ---

7. esesel

esesel
    Expand Collapse

On the topic of sounds that need to be simulated, its a weird thought, but almost any car i have ever driven does some sort of squeaking, rattling or shaking sound when accelerating, braking driving over a bumpy surface... These sounds come from the windows cargo the chassis and so on, and if they would be implemented it would bump the realism an immersion up to a million...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. FFIVGUY

FFIVGUY
    Expand Collapse

Don't mind the triple post I didn't realise that it was already posting because it was taking so long.

9. CN877

CN877
    Expand Collapse

I don't think I've ever heard my carburetor make a sound o_O

10. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

I'm afraid we really have no clue what you are talking about / asking for...
    :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Yeah... I think we are kind of at a loss here... try to be as specific and descriptive as possible in what your asking for. Reason being is because, like CC said, carburetors don't really make noise... or at least not any that are loud enough to hear while the engine is running. When the engine is off you can hear the linkage open, shut, and the accelerator pump if you push the pedal that far... but to hear them you need the hood open and have to practically be sitting right next to the carb to hear it... because it's just that subtle.

To me I am guessing you are looking for more "mechanical" sounding engines in older cars rather than the more finely tuned sound of modern engines? Is that where you're going with all of this?

Examples:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. FFIVGUY

FFIVGUY
    Expand Collapse

That is where I am going with all of this. I'm just not sure what the proper word is to describe it.

13. JeffTesta

JeffTesta
    Expand Collapse

Automation doesn't export exhaust samples. Do you specify the sample for both soundConfig and soundConfigExhaust in the jbeam or just one of them? I agree the automation audio has a lot of potential for mods.

14. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

I suspect he means something like the sound of the secondaries opening on a Quadrajet. Apparently (though I sadly wouldn't know it personally), with some carburetors you can actually hear the sound of the engine change at different throttle levels, plus air suction, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. FFIVGUY

FFIVGUY
    Expand Collapse

This is exactly what I mean
    --- Post updated ---
    I was referring to the vanilla sounds in the game which I can't access and why is there no jbeam pitch bending available?

16. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Wait wait wait... are we talking about intake induction sounds now? That quick sucking noise you get out of an engine when you first punch the gas? Man you're making it super difficult to know what your talking about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. FFIVGUY

FFIVGUY
    Expand Collapse

Yeah that too

18. CN877

CN877
    Expand Collapse

I feel like not even you know what you're talking about.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. FFIVGUY

FFIVGUY
    Expand Collapse

I don't think I'm going to really continue this thread since it just stirred up a lot of confusion.

20. FFIVGUY

FFIVGUY
    Expand Collapse

Will we ever have sounds like these in game (e.g. proper sound for carburetor engines as in the video(s) above)and pushrods, single and dual overhead cams, being able to choose the amount of valves and the type of fuel injection (fuel injeced or carbureted, adjustable pitch and depth for engine and exhaust sounds?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice