1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

building a gaming pc

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by medion, Jun 28, 2014.

1. medion

medion
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

i would like to know if this will run beamng (and other good games for that matter) well.

These are the parts im thinking on getting :

Components:
    1GB XFX Radeon HD 7770
    Intel Pentium G850, Socket 1155, Dual Core, 2.90GHz
    LiteOn IHAS124-04 24x DVD±R
    Fractal Design Core 1000
    500W Storm Silent LPJ19-25
    MSI H61M-P31 (G3) Motherboard
    4GB Corsair Value DDR3 PC3-10600 (1333)
    500GB Seagate ST500DM002 Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s, 7200rpm
    Windows 7 64BIT Professional
    Fractal design core 1000 case
    Iiyama E2278HD-GB1 screen
    Logitech G400 mouse
    [FONT=&quot]Microsoft SideWinder X4 Keyboard

these are probably outdated parts but i used JackFrags video on building one and these are the parts (mouse, screen and keyboard are my choice).
    Will this be any good?
    [/FONT]

2. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

That CPU is really slow, the GPU will be ''ok'', but it only has 1gb of vram... I wouldn't go with less than 2gb of vram because all games are using more than 1 gb nowadays, so you'll get tons of stutter with 1 gb. Get Win 8 instead of 7, it's faster and needs less resources, and don't trust people who say it's shit or the interface is crap or whatever, you can have a desktop just like in Win 7.

And one more thing, can't you use some old parts from your current computer? Maybe the case and the HDD and use that money for a better CPU. Maybe the keyboard? Look at my hardware in my sig, and I'm using a 2003 keyboard lmao, the only thing I have never upgraded.

3. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I would always target a Haswell Quad Core and a Graphics card with more than 2GB of GDDR5 Ram on it and also for main memory...I would say at least 16GB DDR3 memory on it...its always good to have a bit of overhead in memory but I would guess that the machine you have stated there would do this game on Possibly High Graphics settings but its a good budget Gaming PC :)

4. medion

medion
    Expand Collapse

yeah only problem about using old parts is this.....the one im using is my dad's comp and do you have any suggestions for parts because im a noob when it comes to "finding and naming" and my budget is around 390-400£

5. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

390-400£ for the computer itself can get you a good gaming PC, but if you have to add a screen, mouse, etc with that budget then it's not going to be enough for a decent PC.

6. medion

medion
    Expand Collapse

I just realised that after i posted :p.guess ill be begging my parents to be generous but ill pay for some stuff.

What i want it to be able to run is ARMA 3,battlefield,nfs most wanted 2012 and them type of games.

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

And once again, Gracie proves he doesnt know what he's on about.

Currently most games are entirely happy to run in 4-6gb of RAM, 8gb is already a nice overhead for pretty much every game. When on a budget and with todays RAM prices bizarrely being higher than when I built my machine 2 years ago, 16gb is a huge cash waste.

8. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

I agree with that. The most intensive games I've played so far are GTA IV and Watch Dogs, and both had no problems with 8gb, in fact memory usage while playing Watch Dogs stays around 49-50%, that means there are 4gb free...

9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Go for standard windows 8. Its cheaper than 7 professional, actually even if you are a die hard 7 fan, don't go with professional if you are on a budget.

With only a £400 budget to get everything, you might struggle to get a real decent machine, but you'll certainly get one capable of playing everything you want with suitable upgrade paths for the future.

I would certainly aim to be reusing your current keyboard, mouse and monitor (if you have them) and failing that I wouldnt be looking at spending alot on a keyboard or mouse - just go for generic ones and upgrade later. With £400, you need to maximise the amount allocated on the PC itself really.

Intel processor wise. i3 or i5 only on your budget. The pentiums arent even worth it nowadays, too slow performing. I would only get the pentium if it was the cheapest option available and you are able to get £175 for a proper i5 in a few months time, but even then, I'd personally just hold off a few months to expand that £400 with the extra 175 and just get the i5 in the first place rather than buy a pentium and swap it out shortly later :p
    Or plan B. AMD parts are much cheaper than their intel counterparts. For a high end gaming machine intel is undoubtedly way better, but we are working on a budget here and you can certainly game on AMD processors.

GPUs, I have no idea how good or bad that card is, I don't touch AMD GPUs with a bargepole, die-hard NVidia user but that sadly comes at a slight cost premium I believe. No game I have played maxes my 1gb VRAM though, that is only going to be happening if you are maxing them on a 1080p display or something and I dont think we are going to get hardware for £400 capable of doing that in every game as is. 2gb cards are common enough though.

Optical drives and hard drives. Whatever fits. Literally. You can't afford to be picky.

Convention memory wise is to have 2 matched sticks. For 4gb, that would be 2 sticks of 2gb (and they often sell 4gb kits this way).

10. Fun4678

Fun4678
    Expand Collapse

i have an amd fx 4130 with 4 gigs of ram runs beamng on high settings at 50+ fps.
    get
    amd fx 4130
    4 gb ram
    wd blue 500 gb
    asrock 970 extreme 3 motherboard
    nvidia geforce gtx 650
    thermaltake 600 watt psu
    generic case
    aoc e2050swd 20" monitor
    logitech mk320 mouse and keyboard
    windows 7 home premium
    [h=1][/h]

11. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I agree man but sometimes well I overbuild my pcs they may be about £1000 but they are built to be future proof for years to come, I dont like having to rebuild PCs after a year to upgrade them thats why I spend more when I build them now and over do everything than having to spend more money on it 3 months down the line...

12. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

I bought my 8gb 2 years ago...

13. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

aw right well when you run pcs non stop for 7 years you have to take into account for more advanced programs that use more memory...thats what I had to consider when I do my builds

14. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

Please shut up. :( You are physically paining me. :| You aren't running 16GB RAM, you don't overbuild your pcs because you haven't built one. You aren't running your PC for 7 years straight with special software because it wasn't powerful when it was new. It wasn't even overbuilt back then. It wasn't $1000 extra. Your brother built/bought his, and you seem to think you know what you are talking about! Gah!

For OP, the 7770 actually drives beamng fairly well (I had one) but the pentium is lacking. If you actually want to run ARMA and stuff you need at least a new high-end i3 and a 270 with 8GB RAM. I still lag sometimes with my specs in sig on ARMA and nfs:mw 2012.

Also, wasn't the memory price bump because a flood in a major producers facility? Memory nearly doubled in price/GB IIRC.

15. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

As far as I'm aware, that was a flood in Thailand that increased the price of mechanical hard drives, not memory.

16. medion

medion
    Expand Collapse

I found a processor but im not sure if its better :

AMD FX8350 Black Edition 8 Core Processor

is it better? Or any good?

17. Bubbleawsome

Bubbleawsome
    Expand Collapse

It is better. About equals a stock 4670 for beamng. If you can go by microcenter you can get a cooler and good bit faster 4670k and motherboard for cheaper.

18. pulley999

pulley999
    Expand Collapse

Yes, it's better than a Pentium. Even moreso if you put a good cooler on it and overclock it, but I don't use AMD processors so I'm not sure how one would go about overclocking it. You'll need to find an AM3+ motherboard to go with it, preferably with a 970 or 990 chipset.

Edit:

You forget not everyone has a Microcenter in their back yard. Seeing as he listed his budget in pounds I'd say that it's unlikely he has one in his country.

#18 pulley999, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  19. DWPro

DWPro
    Expand Collapse

Nobody is really anwsering him, so let me do this:
    I wouldn't buy Win 7, you can activate it without a code, it adds more cash for parts.
    PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/nQNMTW
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/nQNMTW/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G870 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor (£74.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI H61M-P31/W8 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£29.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Transcend 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (£25.19 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£29.70 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R7 250X 1GB Video Card (£64.98 @ Ebuyer)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£23.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£34.99 @ Aria PC)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer (£11.09 @ Aria PC)
    Monitor: ViewSonic VX2270Smh-LED 22.0" Monitor (£86.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Keyboard: Microsoft 3XJ-00001 Wired Ergonomic Keyboard (£20.26 @ Amazon UK)
    Mouse: Microsoft 4YH-00001 Wired Optical Mouse (£6.66 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £408.80
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

This should do that, pretty good for this, AMD isn't for this sector (cheap gamer with a decent gfx). Most tests proved that low end Intel+ low end AMD gfx >low end AMD+ low end AMD gfx.

20. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

I'm sure most people do that, but don't say it here because that is pirating, and you don't even have a badge so most likely you pirated this game too :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice