Brand new gaming PC runs everything poorly

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Stryder237, May 8, 2020.

1. Stryder237

Stryder237
    Expand Collapse

A few days ago, I bought a pre-built, brand new, gaming PC.

Here are the specs:

Intel i7-9700K CPU @ 3.6 GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    Nvidia GTX 1660
    2TB Hard drive

I don't know tonnes about gaming PC but these are pretty good specs. On top of this, one of my friends bought a PC from the same place with almost identical stats and had no problems with it.

The first game I played was Beam, and it ran like crap. On Italy, it would get10-15fps on normal graphics, and 25-30 on the absolute lowest settings. It crashes frequently, and whenever traffic is spawned. At the time, I was downloading a bunch of other things, so thought nothing of it.

Other games run poorly too. Fallout 4 was a slideshow, even Car Mechanic 2018 runs at 20fps on the lowest settings. Haven benchmark runs at around 11fps on the high setting.

I doubled checked with my friend, and he runs with Beam and Automation opened at the same time and gets 60fps on both, and 60fpd on Project Cars 2 and most other games.

I've updated the drivers, updated windows, removed antivirus, performed a hard reset, run CC cleaner twice, and nothing as helped. It sometimes even struggles to play multiple YouTube videos at once.

My old PC was a cheap office computer, that could just about handle Minecraft and I only played the Sims on, and a £1,000+ gaming PC feels like barely a difference.

I think my best option is to just contact the manufacturer and get a refund or replacement. The only explanation I have is that the PC has different parts than advertised, but the case has a glass side and the parts certainly look authentic.

Does anyone have any insight it what may be causing these issues?

2. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

It may be your CPU, as beam is a cpu heavy game, but I honestly don’t know as I have a Laptop with similar specs

It may be your power supply bringing too little voltages :/.

3. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

Definitely not the CPU unless he got scammed. That said OP should return it if possible.

4. Phym

Phym
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, must be a shit power supply from my guesses ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5. iPlayzTG-BMG

iPlayzTG-BMG
    Expand Collapse

Hmmm... I have a 10 year old Intel Core i5-2500k and the same GPU and also 16 GB ram but I get 60 FPS on Italy...

6. Taza

Taza
    Expand Collapse

It's got nothing to do with the psu.

Did you plug your monitor in to your graphics card? Check that it is not connected to your motherboard.

Also check temperatures. If your cpu is reaching ~90°C, it's likely going to throttle, and could be caused by bad cooling / bad cooling mounting.

7. Funky7Monkey

Funky7Monkey
    Expand Collapse

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the system. @Stryder237, move the display cable from the motherboard to the graphics card.

8. Stryder237

Stryder237
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! That worked! The PC came with instructions telling me to do the exact opposite, I'm guessing that it was a generic booklet for a different model.

Thanks for your help!

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice