Brake fluid thermals

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by SKB, Jun 27, 2021.

1. SKB

SKB
    Expand Collapse

I know this is a smaller detail, but one that might have some use, probably similar to tire temps.

Brake fluid thermals.

We have engine oil temps, coolant temps and even clutch temps, which lose efficiency when too hot.

Is it possible to implement brake fluid temp?
    When caliper/disc temps are too high, right now it's just brake fade. Maybe make that affect the brake fluid temp and the driver needs more brake pressure to have the same force as before overheating?.

Don't exactly know how to describe it...

Basically, hot fluid: squishy pedal kind of simulation. So more brake pressure is needed.

2. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

That's almost the same as brake fade. I don't think the devs will implement brake fluid temperature any time soon as these two are so similiar

• Like Like x 2
  3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

In real vehicle it is bit different, especially when one has water in brake fluid, that is brake fluid not replaced enough often, which usually is cause of boiling of brake fluid in first place, issue with brake fluid goes something like this:
    You are on track braking hard to turn, you start to feel bit of brake fade, but nothing bad, you accelerate on that long straight, after the straight you slam on brakes, but to your horror brake pedal slams right to floor and no braking effect happens.

Gas is flexible and when brake fluid boils you are trying to squeeze brake pads to disc with gas instead of fluid, nasty bit is that heat transfers to fluid also when you are not braking, which creates that nasty surprise.

That is why cars have mechanical handbrakes, that you can actually stop, none of this electrical handbrake nonsense that just refuses to work in such situation or operates inefficiently to situation.

So probably brake fluid temp simulation is not going to happen in this game, it would be just something people would complain as they would not understand why their vehicle does not have brakes, thinking it is bug or something and generally vehicles in game are supposed to be ones that are serviced probably, although I'm not sure where those horrible configs fit in.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SKB

SKB
    Expand Collapse

Ok! Thanks!

5. Diamondback

Diamondback
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Systems Lead
    BeamNG Team

The problem with this (soft brake pedal) is that we don't have any way to actually convey that properly to the user.
    Just like realistic shifting of a manual which technically needs some sort of H-Shifter FFB, this would need some sort of "FFB" in the brake pedal so that the pedal feel can be altered on the fly via the game.
    I'm not sure if something like this even exists at all and if it does, it's so niche that it really doesn't make any sense to spent time on it at this point.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

i know this is a loooonng shot but....
    the ps5 controller has pressure sensitive trigger feedback... would be nice to get the pedal feedback thru that hehehe :p

7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

True, also some Xbox gamepads have that I believe.

There is also study about brake pedal feel and feedback for simulators (although you need to pay to have access at least from here):
    https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/2014-01-0325/

//////////////

This another study is from 1970, but it is quite extensive and ctrl+f actually works in it so you can search, it mostly shows brake force vs deceleration and how much brake force bunch of people were able to generate, but also dry/wet grip, grip on wet painted surface and also effects of brake failure.

Mostly that applies to Moonhawk and Barstow I guess, but one interesting part is how relationship of brake force and deceleration is not linear, there is lot of formulas too.

Downloads pdf or views in browser if your browser is configured at insafe manner:
    https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/1354/13894?sequence=2

My simracing brake pedal setup is using force instead of motion range, so when brake fade happens, I get proper feel of that, I need more force to slow vehicle down, also with BeamNG using pressure brake pedal is a must to get really good stopping feel, with racing simulators you don't need to worry about locking wheels much, but with BeamNG especially Bolide GTR is impossible to drive without pressure brake pedal.

I would just need a solenoid to make pedal give way for brake fluid failure, but it is really just kinda a thing that does not add too much compared to all complexities involved.

For different vehicles adjusting brake force required, well there FFB brake could be ok, also for ABS feelings, but while there are FFB brake pedals, they are not meant for such.

It would not be too difficult to manufacture one, but then there is no support in any game, so there we have chicken and egg, like with FFB shifters too.

For simulator enthusiasts possibility to mod this with lua of course might open doors, but I'm not sure if possibility already exists, after all it is just one added variable and then sending signal out from the game to hardware, I think it would be doable, unless there is obstacle I'm not seeing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. esesel

esesel
    Expand Collapse

I'd rather see brake line ruptures and stuff as that actually has an effect on driving, never heard of the brake fluid temperature being of particular concern

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. SKB

SKB
    Expand Collapse

I mean, I know it is a very small very tiny detail, but interesting nonetheless. Considering this game can do basically anything.. it's interesting to see how much we can simulate irl stuff..

10. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

The game obviously can simulate that but the limitations are in the hardware like wheels and pedals, obviously processing power of PCs too

• Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice