BMW E39 (5 series 1995-2003)

Discussion in 'Land' started by PrT Audiman, Jul 5, 2014.

1. PrT Audiman

PrT Audiman
    Expand Collapse

I originally wasn't going to make a thread until close to the release date, but I decided it would be a good source of constructive criticism and feedback in general.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Onto the vehicle, the first one I'll be making is the M5. Depending on how this turns out I'll make the 6 cylinder equivalent, 520i. I don't know about a tourer, we'll see how this turns out.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]When it comes to putting it into BeamNG I will experiment with other vehicles first such as the boxcar tutorial. I have never put anything into BeamNG so as much help as I might need will be great. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]For now though I will update the thread with the progress I've made. Feedback I love as it motivates me and criticism is a must for improvement. Anyway here's what I've done so far.

The shell is modelled along with a basic engine bay, suspension setup, transmission setup including propshaft, differential and U joints. Exhaust system and the body panels including mirrors, fenders etc. The boot is the only internal thing that is modelled. The style 65 wheels are modeled but are in need of a little touch up here and there. The whole thing right now is 55000 Polies. That includes everything mentioned and the bits I forgot.

Up to date Pictures. (Date 4/7/2014)

[/FONT]

Attached Files:

• car.png
    • car1.png
    • car2.png
    • car3.png
    • carinternal.png
    • carinternal1.png
    • carinternal2.png
    • carshell.png
    • carshell2.png
    • carwire.png
    • carwire2.png
    • Like Like x 12
  2. Narwhal

Narwhal
    Expand Collapse

i like this. Keep up the good work!

3. dezzey

dezzey
    Expand Collapse

Ohh, looking forward to this! (whacks myself with the guitar headstock while typing this)

4. Blockman

Blockman
    Expand Collapse

Nice. I always love bmws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Incredible attention to detail there I hope its just as good on the interior as well as the exterior when you finally release it...

6. SoHigh00

SoHigh00
    Expand Collapse

BeamNG really needs some BMWs and I think yours will turn out great :) I love the engine bay, nice details! As far as criticisms go, the fender looks a bit dented(at least from this angle or maybe it's just a shading error... hard to tell). Anyways keep on it !

7. arilliam

arilliam
    Expand Collapse

Finally, I love me some BMWs, especially Ms. Looks great man!

8. luchvk

luchvk
    Expand Collapse

Good job with your model so far :). I'm actually modeling a BMW similar to yours as well.

One piece of advice I would offer, if you want to lower the polygon count, is to reduce the amount of edges and loops with many of the cylinders you use(aside from the other objects, the wheels need to have a high amount of polygons). It's good to reduce the amount of polygons is these areas(the parts of the car that aren't usually seen) so that more of a computer's resources can be used to process physics and not polygons/triangles. If you used curves to model some of the cylindrical objects and want to quickly reduce the amount of polygons and edges the cylinders contain, I can tell you a way to do so; if you don't already know.

9. PrT Audiman

PrT Audiman
    Expand Collapse

Thanks. Yes I would like to know if there is an easier way.

10. luchvk

luchvk
    Expand Collapse

If you used curves and you did not convert the curve into a mesh the process is simple. First, to reduce the amount of loops in the curve just lower the preview resolution number:

1. Select the curve and go into the "Properties" panel

Curves Editing Demonstration.png

2. Reduce preview resolution number. Do this until you get your desired amount of loop cuts.

Curves Editing Demonstration 02.png --> Curves Editing Demonstration 03.png

To reduce the amount of edges the cylinder has just reduce the amount of edges on the circle you used for the bevel(if you modeled with this process):

1. Select the circle used for the bevel

2. Use the same process that was used for the curve. Do this until you get your desired amount of edges.

Curves Editing Demonstration 04.png --> Curves Editing Demonstration 05.png --> Curves Editing Demonstration 06.png

Repeat this process with all of the curves that you want to reduce resources used. I hope this helps you :).

If you converted the curve into a mesh, as far as I know, you have to remodel the curve and follow this process to reduce the amount resources the model uses.

11. Singh336

Singh336
    Expand Collapse

This is pretty cool, I hope you finish it.

If you need any pictures for reference or textures LMK I have an E39 M5, selling it soon though.

(imported from here)

12. BaronRedStorm

BaronRedStorm
    Expand Collapse

Looks good prt keep up the good work

13. JDMClark

JDMClark
    Expand Collapse

14. PrT Audiman

PrT Audiman
    Expand Collapse

Appreciate it but with mine and the internet I'll be fine ;)

Sorry for lack of updates to this forum. I've been setting it into Rigs Of Rods.

Here's what it looks like in that. A ton of work since this first post. Thanks to Kevin for doing this awesome render

(imported from here)

#14 PrT Audiman, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Again_Dejavu

Again_Dejavu
    Expand Collapse

But what about in Beamng.Drive!
    *cries*
    Seriously though, that is nice work.

16. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

Looking great. Good to see more familiar faces over here from Rigs of Rods. Maybe one day i can hope for a port of the elusive "audimans tester" map for Rigs of Rods.

17. PrT Audiman

PrT Audiman
    Expand Collapse

That is such a pile of crap I don't know why so many people like it lol

18. Fundador

Fundador
    Expand Collapse

I liked the absurdly steep hills. Besides, having it was a statement of superiority in the community. It showed you understood that mods existed beyond the humble repository. I would occasionally post a picture of a car within it after making a serious point just to assert myself as an expert on all matters.

19. Thojolu

Thojolu
    Expand Collapse

Wahou! Great job on this car, very well work!

20. shockwaffleman

shockwaffleman
    Expand Collapse

Bump to where it deserves to be.

Any progress/updates on putting it in Drive?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice