WIP Beta released Blender Exporter plugin 0.3.3 for Blender 2.80/3.X

Discussion in 'Utilities and programming' started by thomatoes50, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Télesphore

Télesphore
    Expand Collapse

Thank you very much :))

2. unyxium

unyxium
    Expand Collapse

It appears that the exporter does not work for later versions of Blender. (I tested it on 2.78 and 2.79)
    Is this true or have I done something wrong? Is there any available version for a version of Blender that I have? I might have to download the older one just for this.

3. thomatoes50

thomatoes50
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

at the bottom of the Scene panel, you will have the "jbeam Exporter" section.
    You need to save the blend file somewhere first, then you need to choose an export path (// for same path as the blend file)
    Click the export button and should display something.

If there is an error you should see a warning at the top of blender window

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. unyxium

unyxium
    Expand Collapse

In Blender 2.79, the plugin says that it has successfully installed, however looking in the addons and the scene panel indicate it was not detected. I know it has been installed in the addon folder, but Blender will not use it.

5. HDR

HDR
    Expand Collapse

Works as intended for me on 2.79b, did you read https://wiki.beamng.com/Blender_Exporter_plugin#Use ?

6. BMG_PLR54

BMG_PLR54
    Expand Collapse

Just a question. Could we use the exporter to make vehicles?

7. unyxium

unyxium
    Expand Collapse

It's fixed now. It turns out I downloaded the wrong file that was indicated in the wiki post.

8. thomatoes50

thomatoes50
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Not full vehicles, only vehicles parts or props.

Blender does not support having edge connect to a vertex from another object, it would be super hard to do a full vehicle in one file (like RoR)
    Also for now it dosn't support beam or nodes parameter such as weight, spring etc.., so it still needed to do that by hand.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CN877

CN877
    Expand Collapse

Does 'for now' imply you are considering adding this feature in the future? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thomatoes50

thomatoes50
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Yes I was working on the Blender 2.8 port and @juju joined me to help cleanup, bug fix, refresh UI
    It's mostly done and stable but i will release that version when blender 2.8 is stable too.
    For the metadata, i'm just looking at a way to do it but most probably will skip one version

• Like Like x 4
  11. CN877

CN877
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the reply, that's awesome to hear! :)

12. slowgergo

slowgergo
    Expand Collapse

Hi! Today i wanted to export an engine from Blender to jbeam. Had some errors (Mainly i havent selected the folder :p) but when i looked at the exported jbeam file i saw like 1000 lines of stuff (not nodes, beams. a thousand beams). And in the view i just only selected the intake to export.

What should i do?

13. thomatoes50

thomatoes50
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

do not export the mesh, you need to select a simplified mesh that would be translated into jbeam

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. slowgergo

slowgergo
    Expand Collapse

How can i exactly do that? Not an expert by any means in blender :/
    I googled it but if i collapse or un-subdivide it it just becomes hollow. And with that max collapse level it still has 300+ faces which is no good

15. thomatoes50

thomatoes50
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

It's different than an LOD

If you look at this example, the beams doesn't even align with mesh pattern, there are just close to the general shape of it.
    https://camo.githubusercontent.com/...465722f696d672f626c656e6465725f626e672e4a5047

You need to create a kind of skeleton of the part.
    the exporter only transform what you did in 3d to jbeam file. It cannot create a physics model for you

16. slowgergo

slowgergo
    Expand Collapse

Ookay... But how can i do that?
    If u dont want to explain then give me some searchwords or what the heck is that "skeleton" called so i can google it.
    Thanks!

17. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

You won't find much on Google, since this stuff is specific to BeamNG.drive. You will probably find Rigs of Rods stuff tho, since it's the same principle.
    We usually call the physical structure a skeleton.

A skeleton is a physical approximation of the object, made of points (we call them 'nodes', that can collide with the world, have a weight, friction and so on), connected to each other with lines (we call them 'beams', that can have varied spring/dampening/deforming/break values). Together these form the Node & Beam structure, AKA the skeleton.

Because it's a physical approximation, you cannot just take a 3D model of a vehicle, run it through this plugin and hope to get something that would work.

This wiki page gives some documentation and more information in regards, have a good read:
    https://wiki.beamng.com/Introduction_to_Vehicle_Creation

You don't need any special program, aside from a text editor, and a lot of patience.
    Although this plugin can help with placing the very basic node/beam connection, a sort of boosted start.

Ps.
    You can view the skeleton of our vehicles by pressing CTRL+B in-game (Options > Gameplay > Advanced Features must be enabled first)

• Like Like x 1
  18. slowgergo

slowgergo
    Expand Collapse

I read through that and now i have a better understanding. Thanks!

19. richy6

richy6
    Expand Collapse

Blender 2.8 was released 3 days ago. What's the progress on the port over to 2.8?

20. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Well, I do happen to know that it works in 2.8 with a few modifications, but I also know that new features were planned to be added before he updated it officially... that's all I will say about that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice