1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

BeamNG FPS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by minemoose96, Jun 21, 2022.

1. minemoose96

minemoose96
    Expand Collapse

I woke up yesterday and thought to myself, what if beamng drive was a first person shooter? Surely I'm not the only one that has been thinking about this.
    I also noticed that the forums didn't have a single thread discussing this topic although very silly.

As a fun discussion I provide you with the following question:
    if you were to implement an FPS into BeamNG.drive, how would it look like?

#1 minemoose96, Jun 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  2. Turbo49>

Turbo49>
    Expand Collapse

I don't really see what a shooter would relate to beamng ? The soft body physics are not adapted to react to small, fast movng objects like bullets.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. LPerez94

LPerez94
    Expand Collapse

BeamNG began with cryengine.. You must be thinking about crysis

• Like Like x 1
  4. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

left_kidney.jbeam

• Agree Agree x 13
  5. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Value: 250000
    Authors: your mom
    Controller: SellKidneyToAffordGas.lua

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

humanController.lua
    shootlogic-stunGun.lua
    shootlogic-boltAction.lua
    shootlogic-semiAutomatic.lua

• Like Like x 2
  7. minemoose96

minemoose96
    Expand Collapse

I don't know what you mean, makes sense to me. ‍¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8. Turbo49>

Turbo49>
    Expand Collapse

How would a game centered entirely around cars make a great shooter game ? The only thing close to it we got recently is the walking mode, which is simply a unicycle that rolls around. Try the universal gun mod on the repo to see what i mean by the soft body physics aren't adapted to it.

9. minemoose96

minemoose96
    Expand Collapse

There's a gun mod? cool.

10. Nazu

Nazu
    Expand Collapse

left_lung.jbeam
    right_lung.jbeam

11. Turbo49>

Turbo49>
    Expand Collapse

What do you see in beam that isn't here in standard shooters anyways ?

12. BravoNovemberZulu

BravoNovemberZulu
    Expand Collapse

Beam at this time doesn't do penetration mechanics. For instance you can't take the forklift mod and actually put the forks thru doors (which would be fun) and the gun mods basically end up doing a tremendous amount of deformation damage without actually poking holes. I do not know how complicated it would be to add hole-poking to BeamNG, what with all the material properties that go into it, at the level of physics fidelity BeamNG strives for. War Thunder makes pen mechanics the centerpiece of their game, but they use approximations. There is a whole genre of Youtube content makers who do projectile vs. armor penetration simulations with very accurate software, but a single penetration often takes like an hour of computing time to model at that level, obviously unsuitable for BeamNG.

13. shinchanf1

shinchanf1
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for the interruption, but just a reminder:
    from the suggestion rules: "DON'T Request/suggest things that are obviously out of scope"
    Evidently, this is WAY out of scope of the game, this game is a vehicle simulator. The game engine can not support a shooter.
    Discussions are allowed, Of Course, but do remember that this will not be a reality.
    torque-engine-3d does not support an actual first person or a walking character in general, the first person implemented is simply a unicycle.
    if you want this to be real, it has to be a completely different game.
    Hopefully this will be the one and only thread about beamng.shooter or any other similar idea.

remember, posting this thread in ideas/suggestions would've gotten it removed within 30 minutes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. baarry5444

baarry5444
    Expand Collapse

Sure, BeamNG supports weapons that can shoot projectiles; just take a look at the cannon if you want an example. We have also seen tanks, anti-aircraft missile launchers, and even a vehicle-mounted machine gun. But keep in mind, those mods were made given the game engine's limitations, so not all aspects from the real world are recreated in-game.

If you're expecting BeamNG to become the next Grand Theft Auto, then it's not going to happen anytime soon. Walking Mode may have been added to provide a new perspective of the game, but the unicycle entity won't be like your typical GTA protagonist. BeamNG should focus more on soft-body physics vehicle simulation instead, as that is what it's best at providing to an audience like this community on the forums.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. the pigeon guy

the pigeon guy
    Expand Collapse

first we need scratches on cars, and when the devs do that, we need to make bullets impact

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice