1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Beamng and direct-drive steering wheels?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by stbest95, Dec 18, 2016.

1. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

hi guys,

this one mainly goes to the devs - but if you have tried it yourself please tell me about your experience!

i am planning to buy a direct-drive ffb wheel in the near future ( http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=101&products_id=260 )
    and i am wondering if this would work with beamng?

the ffb in beamng is still in development as far as i know and if the wheel started glitching out like i have experienced with my g25 a few times im afraid of getting injured.

do you think it will work and if so, can you recommend some settings for a wheel with that much power?

thanks for your help!

#1 stbest95, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  2. wearyNATE15

wearyNATE15
    Expand Collapse

Not that this is any help, But about the FFB, I think its yours as my wheel (G27) doesnt glitch out or anything.

3. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

well for me it tends to start going crazy when the vehicle is stationary, at least for some cars. it will start shaking left and right increasingly violent unless you stop it by holding the wheel. and that might be a problem on a wheel with 10x the speed and strenght.

4. wearyNATE15

wearyNATE15
    Expand Collapse

Oh yeah it doesnt do that for me haha

5. BowlerHatJack

BowlerHatJack
    Expand Collapse

Why have you increased the strength? Also the ffb shouldn't do anything if the vehicle is stationary. I don't think it's the solution but have you tried changing the status of the inverted option on your wheel?

6. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

i have not increased the strength.
    i have been playing around with ffb settings and it only seems to go away when the ffb is set so low that i can feel almost nothing when im driving.

if it doesnt happen for you thats great, that means that i will likely not have that problem with my new wheel.

however that is not the main question - this thread is about wether or not the game will work with a direct-drive wheel like the brodnar.

7. BowlerHatJack

BowlerHatJack
    Expand Collapse

Oh, I misunderstood your statement then.
    Well I use an g29 steering wheel so it's slightly different than the g25 but I also have the ffb pretty weak at the moment.
    Aye that's true.
    I'm not in the know here but maybe this thread could help: http://www.beamng.com/threads/does-anyone-else-have-a-simxperience-accu-force-wheel.32138/
    As far as I know they are different companies but they both make professional simulation stuff.

8. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

yes thank you - the accuforce is the same type of wheel so i will look into this.

edit: it seems that accuforce is working with the developers to get their wheels running so that is a good sign.
    i guess if their wheels can be made to work with beamng other direct-drive wheels could be made to run as well.

#8 stbest95, Dec 18, 2016
  9. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

3.5k? Fucking hell are they ripping you off mate. (before anyone quotes on hours of dev time. I work in the tech industry, I know how that stuff works, that there is a sub £1000 retailing product with dev time accounted for)
    --- Post updated ---
    Direct drive makes no difference as far as any game are concerned

10. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

yes it is very expensive but also the very best you can get. it is used by professional racing teams as a training tool. but im still contemplating wether to get this or the accuforce pro simsteering.
    from reviews the bodnar seems to be the best but the accuforce is much better value for money.

and there is a difference concerning driver support. not all games are supported by these types of wheels.

#10 stbest95, Dec 18, 2016
  11. wearyNATE15

wearyNATE15
    Expand Collapse

Why do you need a sim wheel? Whats wrong with a Logitech/Thrustmaster setup?

12. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

the difference in strength and speed is huge.
    when drifting for example the wheel in a real car will countersteer by itself and you only have to catch it in the right moment - but the normal logitech/thrustmaster wheels are just too slow for that, so you learn techniques that dont work in a real car. the same goes not only for drifting but for driving overall.
    since i drive on the track from time to time i want to use racing sims as a training tool - and that can only work if the wheel behaves similar to that of a real car.
    trust me, after trying out a direct-drive wheel even the best consumer wheels like a fanatec v2 will feel like a toy to you.

13. wearyNATE15

wearyNATE15
    Expand Collapse

But does it have to be THAT realistic for a game? Like seriously, a few thousand for a sim wheel is a bit much

14. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

like i said i want to use it as a training tool for actual track driving, so a consumer grade wheel will not cut it.
    it is still very expensive but i think you get good value for your money.
    if i spend 1500 on a wheel that would equal about 60 laps on the track, which is not that much considering that a wheel like that will pretty much last forever.
    also i cant really go to the track that often so having a realistic simulator at home is a nice thing.

15. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Direct drive makes no difference as far as
    Yes but thats drivers for the device and nothing to do with the *type* of wheel. BeamNG has no idea if its direct drive or not.

And it is a blatant rip off. Housemate and I just reviewed it and concluded total cost of parts is under £50. Yes theres efforts added for development costs but the tech industry standard is for materials to account for 15-30% of the retail cost. If we assume 15% here from £50 in parts you end up on £333. Far from the £3240 they are retailing it at.

All you have there is a brushless motor, an optical encoder some PFETs, some NFETs and a cheap AVR microprocessor to tie it together with some close to off the shelf firmware. Nothing fancy at all.

The motor itself may actually cost a bit more, but does not impact the development cost in any way as thats near drop in replacement.

• Like Like x 1
  16. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

well in that case i might go for the accuforce, still expensive but not in comparison to this one. thanks!
    and i know that beamng has no idea what type of wheel is connected to it, thats why i was asking for the developers since they should know what wheels are supported.
    i just specified that its a direct-drive since these are less common.

17. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

This is currently not guaranteed to work, for unknown issues.
    My plan is to sniff the traffic between those wheels and a game with working FFB, so as to know which magic combination of FFB commands those steering wheels expect in order to work correctly, and then mimick that same combination I see, within BeamNG.
    I have not had time to work on that for many weeks, but maybe next year I can put some time into it. No guarantees though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

thanks for the reply.

thats not so bad i guess, i can do with using my old wheel for beamng for the time being.
    but since the game calculates the ffb live and from real physics i would love to find out how well it works with a wheel like this - should be interesting and could potentially turn out to be the most realistic ffb out there.
    i would offer my help in case you need some data from the wheel but dont have access to one yourself.

have a nice day!

19. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

He probably needs a logic analyser, something I have access to at work though mine I don't think can do usb 2, just usb 1

20. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

I just sniff API calls to the ffb drivers with a dll hook, no need to go down to USB layers. I was going through the calls dump back in november but had to switch priorities. Thanks for the help offers though, I will keep it in mind if/when I need testers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice