WIP Beta released Graphics mod Alternative lighting

Discussion in 'Mods and Skins' started by Brother_Dave, Jan 11, 2019.

1. RiFlech

RiFlech
    Expand Collapse

the WCUSA works. Looks better than original WCUSA (offcourse lol) overall it's great if you want realism for your BeamNG

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Id appreciate it :) Hope you like it and dont be afraid to suggest improvements, its easy to get stuck in the same tracks when sitting with this.

Great to hear it works! Happy you like it and as i said to Crimson, come with suggestions if you have any :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. hduncan806

hduncan806
    Expand Collapse

West Coast works amazingly! I only have one problem. I have my graphics all the way up on High but I don't know if it's a beam.ng problem but there seems to be no anti-aliasing I have it on but it just looks like this. Otherwise I love it!

Attached Files:

• screenshot_2019-01-12_11-46-17.png
  4. KiloHotel

KiloHotel
    Expand Collapse

So I like where this is going, but I find the contrast just a tad extreme, mostly shadows being so dark. Also, don't like all the blurring, a hillside 1-2km away doesn't look like a smear in real life. If the sun is directly above the car the shadow in the interior is so dark it's hard to read the gauges. Keep up the good work, hopefully you can tune this into a masterpiece the devs cannot ignore. They seriously need to do some work with the lighting / postfx.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

I'm really enjoying this mod! Are you planning on doing all the other official maps at some point? I'd love to have this on Utah!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! Im using SMAA, works for me so sounds like something on your end :)

That does look very dark, even darker than it does in my game. I have actually brought up the ambientscale (color/brightness) on Italy, also adjusted the PostFx DOF and Bloom some so expect new versions soon. Ill have to do some digging around and see if mine looks as dark as yours though, looks to much. Also, yours might look even darker than the pics for you IRL, depending on your monitor settings :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Sorry for not responding earlier!

Utah is already done, just needs a second glance to confirm status before release :rolleyes: Most official maps are complete or almost complete, although it does take alittle tinkering and adjusting on each to get the best result, for example Jungle Rock Island needs a warmer feeling than WCUSA and so on :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

Thats nice to hear! Are you planning on adding some modded maps from the repo, or maps section?

9. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

I have done this to a number of custom maps but releasing these to those require permission and i havent looked into that yet :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Crispy06

Crispy06
    Expand Collapse

Is there a way you can get the natural light on other maps besides italy and west coast use? (i have a crappy laptop and it will explode if i use them)

11. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Do you need to install the map files for this to work properly?

12. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

All you have to do is extract the zip under documents/beamng/levels

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lauttapoika

Lauttapoika
    Expand Collapse

screenshot_2019-01-13_18-25-49.png screenshot_2019-01-13_18-30-59.png
    Awesome. So pleasing to drive seeing the light rays catch my eyes through trees.
    Night could be improved (although it looks very satisfying too): The Moon does not move, stars are blurry and lighting is brighter than it probably should be.
    Overall makes a huge improvement over the original PostFX.

#33 Lauttapoika, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for reminding me, totally forgot about the night settings, theyre the same as when i used Reshade. I just brightened it up and changed cubemap to the stars. Im guessing the moon is huge too, if i didnt already change the size of it.. Will look into that later :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sparks4

Sparks4
    Expand Collapse

God damn man, I thought the normal beamng looks good...

Its nothing compared to your mod, honestly I am very impressed and I'm very picky on what graphics I like or not.
    The shadows for example look pretty darn HD, you can clearly see them on the dashboard and on the car. In the stock beamng, you would see it yes, but it would be barely noticeable compared to this. Plus the reflections look much better too. Even though I maxed out the reflection details, I can see a tree in a headlight and its pretty detailed for beamng reflections. I couldn't see that on the stock version of the game. Plus the lighting looks really good now as well.

On my monitor, the 'blacks' 'shadows' are darker than normal, for me I never seen beam look this good before.

I took these 2 photos on my phone to capture the gamma setting I was using. I like how it looks with the lower gamma setting, I don't like how it looks at the normal setting. I find it too bright on that setting. The contrast is perfect too on this setting, as it only changes the overall brightness. My monitor is damaged so ignore the lines if possible.

8317445068206646498.jpg 1748746550446644050.jpg

This is quickly becoming a mod I absolutely need to play beamng, the only thing that bugs me now, is the 'lods'. The buildings in the distance get downgraded a lot, the grass spawns in too close and the shadows either disappear or breaks apart if you move away a few meters. If you're able to fix or improve that, the game would look really nice.

Here's a little video I made...

I was just cruising around on Italy, I was getting around 30-40fps with my GTX 970. I overclocked the living hell out of the GPU, even though I have a 970 I am able to play this game, and many other at 4k maxed out.

So.... For some reason beamng decides to not fully use my GPU. Its maxing it out in usage, but it isn't using all of the power available. I don't know if its the game, or my overclock because my GPU is sitting around 50% power tdp. It should be up near 100% IF the game is fully using my GPU. But it isn't. Its sitting around 50% sometimes, jumping up to 60%, which causes my fps to rise dramatically to 40-50fps. Then my fps drops back down when the game decides to not use my GPU fully.... Pretty annoying and frustrating but hopefully the devs can fix that.

Obviously there was some performance. I don't notice much of a performance loss as I am already playing the game maxed out, but someone with a lower end GPU will surely notice a performance loss. On a PC from school, it has a RX-460 2gb and it got 30fps on high-settings. But has the power issue I described above.

Sometimes it'll sit around 50watts, at 10fps, but when the game decides to fully use the car, it'll jump up to its max tdp ~75watts thus raising the fps to 30.

Edit #2

I changed the in-game gamma setting, and I really like the result... I think it looks good a little bit darker, don't know about anyone else though.

#35 Sparks4, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Deleted member 337738

Deleted member 337738
    Expand Collapse

screenshot_2019-01-16_03-08-28.png screenshot_2019-01-16_03-05-35.png screenshot_2019-01-16_03-06-04.png
    Very realistic it looks fucking amazing

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for that extensive post and your vids :)
    The darker looks that you enjoy might be abit to dark imo, ive already had a request of lightening up things so a golden rule here would be to keep things in the middle of that which i think ive done with the version ill release of Italy soon, not much changed other than that and that the night is darker.

Thanks man, i appreciate it. Cant put down as much work as i want on this due to 100 other things in life but its always nice to hear these comments, keeps me going :D

• Like Like x 3
  18. Sparks4

Sparks4
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, maybe these photos look a little better? I used a different time setting, but I still have the gamma lowered. I used the navy blue color on the mustang in the photo. It mostly depends on the tod you choose, I don't find it too dark on my end and it somewhat reminds me of the GTA5 mod, Natural Vision..
    494522-c4c8c596134dd1cbfdfbbb9042c3fa81.png 494521-74229c597d4b551862d7f9147cabf598.png

• Like Like x 1
  19. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Looks good! I initially enjoy alot of contrast but tend to get tired of it after a while.
    Natural Vision is awesome, looks sweet if you ask me.

20. Brother_Dave

Brother_Dave
    Expand Collapse

Updated the files yesterday, check page one.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice