1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Bad Ryzen cores load in map loading process

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by den_chik, Jun 5, 2020.

1. den_chik

den_chik
    Expand Collapse

Attached Files:

• 2020-06-05at21-26-59.png
    #1 den_chik, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Is normal, loading process is single-threaded for most.

3. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

Could you explain why Ryzen CPU's take 20 minutes to load my map Generic City when intel CPU's load it without much effort?
    I have no explanation other than some bug beyond my control. Possibly with how the shape editor handles combining meshes made from separate .dae files?
    I would like the map to work for everyone, not just people with Intel CPU's. Its a really weird issue.
    The slow loading for Ryzen CPU's seems to be apparent with my other map Bendy Road too. That map has much less stuff to load and isn't so much of a problem.
    As this seems to be a CPU related issue, I can only think there is a bug causing this.
    Cheers :)

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Some CPUs are better than others are doing certain things.
    Intel CPUs usually have a better performance in single-threaded applications still, depending on the models.

The game does not care if you use an Intel or AMD CPU, the system itself manages how they do things.

5. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the reply!

So there is no chance of it ever working for Ryzen users? Are there no bottlenecks that could be causing it to be slower than it really should? I mean loading times shouldn't be 20 minutes. when I load the map it's done in 90 seconds max, including the time to start the game and pick the map. Waiting 20 minutes sure seems like a bug to me. Is it possible to have a look and see if there are some more optimizations for Ryzen CPU's? They can't be that slow, can they?

Thanks once again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Myself and most of the team uses Ryzen based PCs. I personally never noticed such issue.
    The game does not use any brand-specific optimization, only solutions that can work for everybody.

• Like Like x 2
  7. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

Did you try the map in question?(Generic City) I would love to find out why is loads so slowly for Ryzen users. If it loads ok for you with a Ryzen CPU then I guess its a problem on the users end?
    I would try the updated version waiting for approval if you do.
    Thanks again :)

#7 jammin2222, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

I suspect that something is wrong is happening with that level.
    It sits loading 'Forest' for way too long, with no visible activity (7 minutes in and is not doing anything)

I still don't believe it's related to CPU brands (again, the game does not threat them in different ways).

We will have a look, maybe it's some rare bug, or maybe it's an actual error in the mod.

• Like Like x 2
  9. crashmaster

crashmaster
    Expand Collapse

Thank you very much for taking a look into this.
    I am one of those ryzen user who has been having issues with the generic city map as well.
    Its an odd issue, as even with a clean reinstall in safe mode this map would completely refuse to load.
    Only thing i see in the beamng.log is it stops at loading forest and nothing more after that.

Hope you guys can find the issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the reply, I would love to find out what the problem is for some users. The map loads in under 90 seconds for me, and others have said it loads quickly. Something is not right for sure if some people take ages to load it. I may well have done something wrong, but I have no clue what, as everything loads fine for me.
    If its forest related could it be the way the game updates the forest from the old to the new system? Maybe I have some remnant of the the old forest files I don't know about?
    Thanks for having a look into it :)

11. jammin2222

jammin2222
    Expand Collapse

Sorry to bother you again, did you find anything wrong with the maps files? I don't have much to go on in regard to troubleshooting it.
    I am not an expert in map making, and I really don't know what files are needed, or what files can be removed as many game updates have occurred since making this map.

With regard to the forest. When I started to work on the map again after many years it said in the log that there are outdated forest files that should be removed once updated. It said the name of the file to remove, so I deleted it and everything still worked.
    I assume that updating the forest is done by resaving the map and removing the old file it mentioned in the log. Was there anything else that I should have done?

Other things about the map that may help pinpoint the issue:

The models are all made in Sketchup, and as Sketchup has no ability to make LOD's, I used the shape editor to combine several separate .dae's into the various LOD's and collision meshes for each model.
    I assume this would make the loading process a little different to a map full of models made with Blender that have all the LOD's built into a single .dae?
    Could there be a bug with how the game engine loads and combines models in the shape editor?
    The models do appear to have all their LOD's and collisions working as expected, The only oddity is that some imposters refuse to show up even though they appear in the shape editor.
    I have observed the same model showing the imposter and another instance not showing it. It there a limit to how many imposters can be drawn at once?
    Maybe there is some glitch with how the game handles this?

Next is decal roads that use the over objects feature.
    To enable AI traffic I drew decal roads under the existing mesh streets. In quite a few places the terrain was not close enough to the mesh for the AI to follow it, so I used the "Over Objects" check box and raised the nodes above the mesh. The decal road then projects down onto the mesh.
    Since adding a fair amount of decal roads in this manor, I have notice that editing anything to do with the terrain takes ages because as soon as you terraform or pant the terrain the editor freezes up while it re scans all the decal roads with "over objects" enabled.
    I assume it is projecting the roads down over the objects again. It seems to take several minutes to unfreeze.
    While this doesn't seem to cause a long load time for me, It is something that makes the map editor freeze for a long time, and might be something to look at in the game code? Could the game be getting stuck on loading because of the long time it takes to project the decal roads down over the objects?

Sorry for the wall of text, I just wanted to mention a few things I observed that could be worth taking a look at with regards to why some people are experiencing loading issues. As the Log isn't saying anything helpful to me, I don't know what else to do right now.
    I will also say that my other map "Bendy Road" is having similar issues reported too. It is made in the same way as Generic City, but is much smaller so isn't so much of an issue, but some report is wont load either.

Thanks for looking into this, I would love for the problem to be fixed.

12. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

We have a ticket for it, there are other things that needs our attention at the moment.
    We will get to it :)

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice