WIP Beta released Avalanche Climb 0.8.2.1

A hill to climb and a bunch of scenarios that pit you against cascading objects.

1. HighDef

HighDef
    Expand Collapse
    Game Design, QA and burnouts.
    BeamNG Team

HighDef submitted a new resource:

Avalanche Climb - A hill to climb and a bunch of scenarios that pit you against cascading objects.

Read more about this resource...

2. HighDef

HighDef
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I think that I may add a Multi-seat scenario for this.

3. Squatch32560

Squatch32560
    Expand Collapse

Does this by chance use the portals? Like on Simple Map?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gavril T85

Gavril T85
    Expand Collapse

I like the idea, I hope to see more like it in your future scenarios!

#4 Gavril T85, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. RyvyLo

RyvyLo
    Expand Collapse

Nice little concept ! It's quite fun to mess around with
    But the fact that the car is also teleported up the cliff when falling down bothers me...

I think you could prevent this by adding a new condition for the trigger to teleport the vehicles : that it's not the player vehicle
    This would look like this :
    Code:
    local function teleportPlayer(data)
        local vehicleName = data.subjectName

if data.event == 'enter'  and data.subjectName ~= 'scenario_player0' then
            TorqueScript.eval(vehicleName..'.position = "101 -59.6 1061.003";')
        end
    end

return teleportPlayer

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. HighDef

HighDef
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

7. HighDef

HighDef
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

8. ZealousPlum

ZealousPlum
    Expand Collapse

I love when people play with experimental stuff, I think it starts encouraging other mod creators to push the envelope a bit

• Like Like x 1
  9. HighDef

HighDef
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

I have only just seen your message. I shall add this into scenarios as it bugs me too.
    Thanks very much for your assistance.

• Like Like x 2
  10. HighDef

HighDef
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

HighDef updated Avalanche Climb with a new update entry:

No more player teleport

Read the rest of this update entry...

11. Ewanc

Ewanc
    Expand Collapse

Oh yeah, just to clearify I meant; I couldnt get the berrel idea to work with the new version but everything does work fine before I mess with the files. I just replaced the rock references from the first scenario wih barrels. Im only a "copy and paste programmer" so I couldnt debug it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

Great idea @HighDef, thanks for making this. I'm going to take a look into whether anything can be done about the physics engine freak-outs that can happen during resets. I didn't really enjoy the large concrete blocks or the tiny stones - I completed the rest with the default pickup and also played with the offroad Sunburst. Plenty of fun!

I noticed that your teleporter code may be a bit of a pain to do maintenance on because you can't see where each one comes out. Here's a script that establishes a target such as a waypoint. That way you can use the script and have a tangible target to work with. It also means that you can bulk select targets and move them around, etc.

These examples/notes are really focused on moving the player around but I'm sure you'll easily see how to hook the code up for your purposes.

Here it is as a one-liner to play with from the console on Gridmap, targeting Waypoint 2:
    Code:
    local subject = 'thePlayer' local target = scenetree.findObject('wp_2'):getPosition() target = tostring(target):gsub("[,]", ""); TorqueScript.eval(subject..'.position = "'..target..'";')

Or formatted a little:
    Code:
    local subject = 'thePlayer'
    local target = scenetree.findObject('wp_2'):getPosition()
    target = tostring(target):gsub("[,]", "")
    TorqueScript.eval(subject..'.position = "'..target..'";')

If the player's vehicle is selected/in-focus you can use getPlayerVehicle(0) instead of a name/label. That could look like this for example:
    Code:
    local subject = 'getPlayerVehicle(0)' local target = scenetree.findObject('wp_2'):getPosition() target = tostring(target):gsub("[,]", ""); TorqueScript.eval(subject..'.position = "'..target..'";')

Other thoughts on your scenario format:
    1. The snaky path up is a little simplistic and with some of the obstacles it results in pretty predictable flow. There's also a tendency for some objects to start sliding instead of bouncing. Maybe a rockier surface with LESS drastic contouring but more aggressive lips and crannies would result in more chaos.
    2. This is likely something you've already considered: I'd like to see a scenario where the obstacles have MORE stopping power, but do LESS damage to the vehicle. I imagine that it would have an effect similar to the plants in Utah.
    3. I think that all of these could be converted to quickraces so that people could change vehicles while competitive scenario conditions is turned on. This would also give you a local high scores table as a bonus...
    4. A downhill one could be fun. I tried it with the big rocks. I think that hotlapping (one of the QR formats) with big rocks and a lighter grade would be great... you'd be rocketing downhill with boulders bouncing around you and everything repeatedly warping to the top. I've attached a quick and dirty pair of files for that as a scenario, but it would work much better as a quickrace w/ hotlapping. What I think would be best would be to maintain similar teleportation targets for the boulders but filter out the player into a set of targets which is closer to ground level in order to make it easier to maintain control. A lighter grade might necessitate some extra tricks to keep the momentum up on those big rocks.
    5. You can just drive straight up the hill outside of the obstacle-chute. Obviously this spoils the fun, but it seems best to fix that. Just add a wall, ledge, etc.
    6. Naming your map "hill" is asking for trouble with name collisions.
    7. You've got some errors in your hatch configs and info jsons. Please check the log (~). Looks like you forgot to put quotes around a string here and there, eg NA should be "NA".
    --- Post updated ---
    PS:
    • Really we should probably break all of that Lua out of those triggers and into a function, extension, or something. That would be much cleaner - you'd just pass the subjects and targets as arguments. Then changes to the Lua could be made in a central location.
    • Similarly, the teleport triggers and (hypothetical) target objects can all be moved to a single prefab. Each scenario can load as many prefabs as you need. This way you can centralize your management of these items as well!
    --- Post updated ---
    PPS:
    I'm a bit out of date! We can now achieve a teleport with an all-Lua script:
    Code:
    local subject = 'thePlayer' local target = 'wp_2' scenetree.findObject(subject).position = scenetree.findObject(target).position
    or
    Code:
    local subject = 'thePlayer'
    local target = 'wp_2'
    scenetree.findObject(subject).position = scenetree.findObject(target).position

pretty simple...

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. HighDef

HighDef
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Fantastic, i will look into this when i am on it next. I will probably need some assistance if you don't mind, i am very keen on lua scripts but i have no real experience with them. Thanks for taking the time to help.

• Like Like x 1
  14. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

No problem. I've only worked with triggers a little bit in the past, but I don't think it will be a big deal to get this implemented. Some official content uses triggers so we've got something to refer to.

• Like Like x 1
  15. HighDef

HighDef
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Teleport fix

16. HighDef

HighDef
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Thanks again for your input. I will be working on this tomorrow so hopefully, I can clean up some things. Might stream it.

#16 HighDef, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  17. davidinark

davidinark
    Expand Collapse

Wahoo!! I cannot wait to fire the bad boy up again! :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. HighDef

HighDef
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Yes, it is great that it works again. If you are going to do a video make sure you get v0.8 as the map has been updated.

#18 HighDef, Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  19. HighDef

HighDef
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Map update

20. HighDef

HighDef
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Content update

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice