Automation version of my WIP Lego Car mod

Discussion in 'Automation' started by Agent_Y, Nov 9, 2022.

1. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

So I tried remaking my lego car mod (https://www.beamng.com/threads/lego-car.88050/) in Automation, obviously only the default config with no customization. Visually it turned out... alright I guess? Due to a lot of pieces I needed not being in the mod I had to improvise a lot and modify the existing ones.
    FSRR.png

It feels like a bootleg version of the original, worse in every aspect, meaning closer to a normal car than to a lego one, but still far from a normal car. I think it drives better due to having an actual suspension (although extremely stiff one) so it doesn't bounce around like the real thing, although it understeers a lot more due to reasons I can't explain, looks like the oversteer reduction assist is constantly trying to keep it from spinning out. Performance is very similar to the non-Automation version, although it's 120kg heavier due to having an actual body below the fixtures and it really feels, it's slower to accelerate initially and also struggles with acceleration near the top speed due to aero. Obviously it also suffers from all the normal Automation car issues like lights not breaking and not emiting light properly, janky shading and textures, reflections in the interior, etc. And the models are not very high quality overall, mine are much better, I'm not flexing but just stating the facts, compare them yourself.

rrgeds.png

The crash physics is somewhat similar but not really. The pieces have more depth to them so they land on the ground more realistically after falling off, but they don't collide with each other at all and just pass through. Each one is also attached to the body instead of to the pieces below it so they don't break off in a realistic way and often end up floating mid air. They are very weak too, on a crash where the normal lego car would just lose a mirror, the whole corner gets destroyed. But the energy from the crash doesn't transfer to the pieces further away because they aren't connected, so ultimately mostly just the pieces that collide with something fall off. All pieces also have the same weight regardless of the size which means it just looks wrong when they fly off in a crash, small pieces feel way too heavy. But the worst thing is that the individual pieces can deform, but the 3D models are not suited for that so they just spike terribly when squiched. Another bad thing is that I used a body that has bad collision overall and it gets stuck in other cars, but too late to change it and I had no way of knowing that beforehand, just used a body with the same wheelbase as the mod. Also some pieces I made from several other pieces so now they break apart, best noticable on the chassis.

Crash pictures on Automation test map:
    sdgrt.png fgff.png

Some comparison between crash physics of both versions:
    tdhdt.png rfdhyy.png rsge.png 5ted.png

Releasing it because people on a Discord server wanted it. Stay tuned for the real mod, idk how long it will take, but it's already way better than this one.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Nazu

Nazu
    Expand Collapse

cool but when actual mod relez /j
    on a serious note this actually looks cool

3. SmokeyDokey

SmokeyDokey
    Expand Collapse

Here come the YouTube shorts...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ghs129

ghs129
    Expand Collapse

OH NO
    NONONNONONONO
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. coolcarguy#1

coolcarguy#1
    Expand Collapse

its inevitable. and maybe they will use this one or keep the "bird" and dont take the actual one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SH282

SH282
    Expand Collapse

Holy crap! Let's go!

7. FlyingRyan

FlyingRyan
    Expand Collapse

8. gooose

gooose
    Expand Collapse

Sick! Will you make more configs?
    --- Post updated ---
    Sick! Will you make more configs?

9. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

No I forgot this even existed and I made it in 2 days

10. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

The Automation mod that adds lego pieces got updated recently, and I made a new version, anyone interested? Only visual changes here
    sfwese.png

11. bussin.buses

bussin.buses
    Expand Collapse

Cool! I’ll take it, it has an actual hood piece!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice