1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Audio Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nadeox1, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Confused_Deer43

Confused_Deer43
    Expand Collapse

To me it sounds good, I just have a pair of Logitech G633 headphones I rarely use, nothing fancy. I fired up the game with those again to see if I could hear anything about the audio panning but it sounds as it should, driving a vehicle past the camera and listening to different sounds from different camera views etc, keep in mind you're the sound engineer with a trained ear for such things so as an average user I think it sounds great

2. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

Damn ;)

3. den_chik

den_chik
    Expand Collapse

Strange thing: I think new release (after my previous opinion) greatly improves soundscape (at less in headphones). Sounds seems wided to opposite channel and has pretty realistic feeling. Before its was like "cut" hardly divided L and R. Now I even have goosebumps while another car passes me (so nice sound become).

4. AT_crawler

AT_crawler
    Expand Collapse

0.19 feels a great improvement, grats devs!

I've got a question regarding the sounds though:
    So far i can not hear any distinctive sound when driving through normal higher grass (like it is on East Cost e.g.) and there also is no water sounds when wading through rivers.
    is this like it is supposed to be?
    I'm just wondering, because overall, the sounds of the game seems much improved with environmental sounds, AI traffic, etc. so much more immersive then before.

5. Hemi J

Hemi J
    Expand Collapse

On Small Island, the place where the building that reached over the road in about the center of the map still contains the tunnel effect

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

There isn't a difference in grass size at the moment, and a water system is on the list for the coders.

7. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

Thankyou

8. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

I have an established artistic hearing and I'm sort of a gear head at the same time :) . My approach ( or an initial attempt ) would be
    the imitation principle : compiling car sound out of different tracks ( if you are not already doing this ). I would filter the tracks independently in the audio editing program, then put them together as one sound. Combustion sound is actually a very general form of noise. It's the
    different engine and exhaust properties that are producing different colors of fundamentals and overtones. It might be a painstaking approach
    though.. But if you already have separate base tracks for engine sound with decelerations/off load ( for the stock/showroom vehicles) one
    could add extra color to them and then compile to one sound. On the matter of unmuffled sound likewise : unmuffled sound is quite general
    and differs mostly on cylinder count. Adjusting their range of overtones might result in different kinds of engine/exhaust sounds.

Overall the sounds in the game are awesome and you are doing a splendid job !

9. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

You simply can't fake the true sound of a vehicle on load, by processing neutral revving - which is what I think you are suggesting. I like the organic sound of recording vehicles doing what they were designed to do.. that for me is why I personally don't like the our current sounds so much, they are too sterile.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

No that is not what I meant a all. What I meant is if you accomplished one good sound for each type of engine (i4, i6, v6, v8 and so on)
    by the means of real engine sounds (on/offload incl) then you can 'color' them by splitting them up in a few tracks and edit the 'outer edge'
    tracks if you will. With this 'coloring' engines of different brands could be imitated. That is sort of what I meant.

11. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

Ah I see.

In theory, yes... In practise..... I went down this route a few years ago but with RPM sweeps (therefore simply 4 samples for eng/exh, on/off load) and even then if you starting colouring anything more than subtle, it just didn't sound realistic - this is mainly due to how the volume relationship between different fundamentals change as you go through the RPM.

Now try and do that with over 150 separate loops for one engine type, getting each of them to blend nicely in to one and other.... not a chance.

But as I said, the main issue is getting unmuffled versions. Timbrally they are a lot more different than just some eq tweaks on the fundimentals/overtones.

12. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Oh, you're totally getting me now, and also I seem to be understanding you too. As I said it might be painstaking and you're right,
    with that number of loops it's never going to be practical. On the other hand I didn't mean eq tweaks thru the jbeam (FMOD)
    But giving them other color thru Audacity or any other (more) sophisticated and dedicated audio editing program. And then
    wrapping them up for use again.

Anyway, I was just sharing my view, might bring ideas on something totally different you know.
    Thanks for sharing your view on the matter too. :)

13. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

lol - indeed I wasn't talking about EQ through Jbeams either :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Nice ! Hey I just want to ask one more thing : I posted this in 0.19 discussion thread ( https://www.beamng.com/threads/0-19...e-before-reporting.69488/page-13#post-1141200 ) after 0.19.0 came out. I haven't updated to hotfix yet but I was wondering if you are aware of the issue
    and if it was looked at for the hotfix. I assume it's not a problem on my end cause it got a few agrees and it doesn't occur in 0.19.0 .

15. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

I can't say I've experienced this. Can you do a video capture please.

16. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

On the video where I spin around it doesn't seem to occur. It mainly occurs at speeds above 100mph or so, but often
    sooner too. First I thought: 'backfire ?' but no, lol, clearly not the case. :)[/MEDIA]

17. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

hmmm... no idea. Will have a look tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  18. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Awesome !

19. TDK

TDK
    Expand Collapse
    FLIT KILLS MOTHS
    BeamNG Team

Mmm, well I do hear the odd bump, but no-where near as frequent or as pronounced as you are... *shrug*

20. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

That's because they are way more audible when the engine sound has more bass to it. Try the Piccolina's sport version for instance :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice