Released Advanced Steering Mod

Discussion in 'Utilities and programming' started by lmaoxd, Mar 27, 2022.

1. lilexjecto

lilexjecto
    Expand Collapse

i've recorded a vid, waiting for upload
    --- Post updated ---

--- Post updated ---
    got another error
    --- Post updated ---
    oh shoot, 360p
    --- Post updated ---

Attached Files:

• upload_2022-9-8_15-49-28.png
  2. Grimm232

Grimm232
    Expand Collapse

--- Post updated ---
    Try replacing the input.lua file see if that works other than that i don't really know how to fix it.

3. lilexjecto

lilexjecto
    Expand Collapse

replacing with a stock one?
    --- Post updated ---
    or from git?

4. Grimm232

Grimm232
    Expand Collapse

--- Post updated ---
    So you mean as in the AI doesn't like the mod. Cause I've found that with the mod the AI doesn't steer correctly.
    But try replacing the input.lua with the one you downloaded from git and see if that helps with the errors.

5. lilexjecto

lilexjecto
    Expand Collapse

nope, still errors

6. lilexjecto

lilexjecto
    Expand Collapse

will see what's in update with mod

7. lmaoxd

lmaoxd
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, I've been too busy lately so I've been neglecting this thread. I don't even have the game installed anymore since I reinstalled Windows.

Those errors above seem like the JSON got corrupted or modified in a bad way.

Anyway, I just read the patch notes for 0.26 and it seems like the input system got overhauled. This means that my mod might not work with 0.26 until I revisit it. But maybe there's no need for my mod anymore if they've done a good job with their system, who knows. I'll have to install the game at some point and check.

#47 lmaoxd, Sep 20, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  8. lilexjecto

lilexjecto
    Expand Collapse

if this will update to 0.26 i will be the happiest person in the world ( if so)

9. lmaoxd

lmaoxd
    Expand Collapse

I'll take a look at what changed in 0.26 when I have time, and possibly update this mod if I feel like it's still relevant.

10. Colup

Colup
    Expand Collapse

I reckon it'll be worth coming back to patch this mod. The vanilla assistants work, but they aren't nearly as intuitive and predictable to control the car.

• Like Like x 1
  11. lmaoxd

lmaoxd
    Expand Collapse

Ok I just tried 0.26.1 and the new "understeer assist" and "oversteer assist" they added.

The two new options together add very similar functionality to my mod. Their "understeer assist" and "oversteer assist" are basically the same mechanics that I've called steering limit and countersteer force respectively. With both assists enabled in 0.26+ the driving behaves pretty similarly to my mod, as those two mechanics were the main things I've added as well.

These asissts coming to the game ~6 months after my mod makes me strongly suspect that the devs took inspiration from my work. This is great news though, and it means I sucessfully brought their attention to these shortcomings in the input system. The new options are a huge step forward and I strongly recommend everyone on controller or keyboard to try them.

As for my mod, I'll be updating it soon to make it work correctly with the new version. I found that the new "understeer assist" does a better job at determining the correct steering limit than my mod did (especially offroad), so I'll probably be keeping their logic for that part. However, I do find the "oversteer assist" a bit more clunky than my countersteer implementation was, so I'll stick to my version of that. Basically I'll be combining their work with mine in the new version of my mod for a "best of both worlds" kind of thing. No ETA, but I'll try to work on it when I have time.

Anyway, I think the devs did a great job addressing these things, and I'm glad to see that players are finally getting competent input processing. I'll be updating my mod so it can continue to exist as a refinement of sorts, but with the new assists in the game it won't be nearly as necessary as before. In the meantime I'd highly recommend playing with the two new assits enabled.

#51 lmaoxd, Oct 8, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  12. lilexjecto

lilexjecto
    Expand Collapse

Glad this mod will live

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. lmaoxd

lmaoxd
    Expand Collapse

Quick update, I started working today on updating the mod and it looks very promising. I'm able to leverage some of the things they added in 0.26 to get a much better steering angle limit than before. I still have some things to work out, but I'll probably have the update out some time next week.

• Like Like x 2
  14. lilexjecto

lilexjecto
    Expand Collapse

What about traffic? Will it be fixed?

15. lmaoxd

lmaoxd
    Expand Collapse

Yeah it won't apply to AI anymore

16. lmaoxd

lmaoxd
    Expand Collapse

I found a way to add input processing without having to modify the input.lua file at all.
    Another similar mod had an issue with this too. You can't publish mods that modify the original files, this is why mine was only on Github too.
    But I can get around that now, so I'll be properly publishing this in the mods section once I'm done updating it.

#56 lmaoxd, Oct 10, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  17. lilexjecto

lilexjecto
    Expand Collapse

how's it going?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. lmaoxd

lmaoxd
    Expand Collapse

The input code itself is basically done. It took some time because I made a lot of improvements and fixes along the way, but it turned out very nice.
    Now I have to make a UI app for the settings, record some new footage, package the mod and update things on Github.

#58 lmaoxd, Oct 24, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  19. lilexjecto

lilexjecto
    Expand Collapse

Good job, appreciate you

20. lilexjecto

lilexjecto
    Expand Collapse

waiii... THE UI?
    wow, this mod expands!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice