Anyone with experience baking light maps into LOD's?

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by bob.blunderton, Jan 25, 2019.

1. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

I would like a little coaching on this topic.
    This is pertaining to my 'Los Injurus' city map.

I would like to bake light sources into my LOD's (as this is how GTA's do it, and all models have baked LOD's before the most recent ones, not just LOD's). This will save processing power etc, on the GPU (in theory anyways), and I'd like to know a bit on how to get the model to match ambient light of the map etc. I would use ZONES within the F1 object editor to get my underground areas 'darker' by cutting background light VS the other areas nearby.

This would be just pertaining to underground areas and such, like subway stations or road tunnels. I wouldn't be doing this above ground as I wouldn't be able to use different LOD's in the day time VS night.

My map consistently runs above 60fps and I would like to keep it this way!

Any tips or tricks is handy. I don't need specifics for one modeler (I use Maya LT here) software, I am just looking at how to best bring this 5-star graphic experience to BeamNG.
    If anyone has examples please give me a shout. Maybe @Ghost187 would know on this?
    No rush on this - asking this ahead of time!
    -Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice