1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.30 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Any up to date mapmaking tutorials ?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by Firepower, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Firepower

Firepower
    Expand Collapse

Hello community !
    I'd like to know how to make a map from scratch, or at least from creating a heightmap to adding roads. Right now I don't even know how to import the heightmap I just made in L3DT (it gives me an error).
    So is there a guide which works for the latest version of BeamNG.drive (0.5) ? And if not, does someone have the skills AND the time to make one ?
    Thank you !

2. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

#2 Driv3r1142, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Firepower

Firepower
    Expand Collapse

4. Firepower

Firepower
    Expand Collapse

You can use L3DT to make it.
    New --> designable map --> choose your map size --> skip step 3 --> tune the parameters --> leave the 1st box checked and click "OK" --> select "calc" (5th icon) --> heightmap --> when it's done right click on it, select export, whoose where and then check @Driv3r1142 's post

5. CaptanW

CaptanW
    Expand Collapse

i have tryed to make some maps. They have looked good but then stuff goes wrong. Textures and walls not acting like walls. I want to know how to reate a WHOLE NEW LEVEL.

6. Firepower

Firepower
    Expand Collapse

Dammit ! I think my map is too high :/

7. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

What'cha mean by high? Is your map set in the state of Colorado? XD
    JkJk
    Anyway, all jokes aside, what do you mean by too high?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Firepower

Firepower
    Expand Collapse

The height limit is 2047 right ? My terrain is around 2020 ...

9. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Umm, Is your map having any issues with such a big value for the height?
    If you are, post pics aswell so we can see whats going on on your end.

10. Firepower

Firepower
    Expand Collapse

Yes, if I bring the terrain too high, spikes appear, this is an extreme example :
    screenshot_00068.png

• Like Like x 1
  11. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

Umm, thats related to trying to raise the terrain above the height of your world.
    Like, if my world is at a height limit of 100, I cant raise the terrain above 100. BUT, I can adjust the height of my world, and give myself lets say, 200. But by doing so means I am just stretching my heighmap vertically.
    So make sure that you are not trying to go above the height of your world by using the in-game editor to manipulate the appearance of your terrain.

12. Firepower

Firepower
    Expand Collapse

Oh, okay !
    But can I just bring the whole thing down to avoid running into those issues ?

13. Scepheo

Scepheo
    Expand Collapse

No, the "max height" property of the terrain indicates the maximum difference between the highest and lowest point of your map. The actual height (Z-coordinate) of the terrain has nothing to do with it. Ideally, you want this value to be as low as possible, for maximum detail in height differences. However, if you set it too low, you'll need to scale down your map in an external editor (unless Torque3D's editor supports this and I've completely missed it) and import it back, with a bigger max height. You could just set max height to a bigger value, but that would stretch your map vertically.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Firepower

Firepower
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, well I'm gonna leave it the way it is because I have no idea how to do it.
    Concerning the decalroads, how can change the material and the grip of the terrain under it ?

15. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

Decal roads take the materials parameters below them. If you were to lay decal roads over rocky dirt
    you would get dust and no skidmarks on your roads. The groundmodel LUA dictates what materials
    do what. In order to get skidmarks AND proper grip on decal roads simply use the terrain painter to
    apply concrete or asphalt under your decal roads.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Firepower

Firepower
    Expand Collapse

So the grip depends on the type of material under the decalroad ?

17. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

That is correct. The stock materials in the groundmodel LUA are the same ones you
    see as stock materials in GridMap, being the de jour stock map. The groundmodel
    also dictates what particles get emitted for each material, dust, gravel, grass blades etc.
    as well as a number of friction variables (grip) for each material.

For decal roads that are asphalt simply painting concrete or asphalt materials underneath
    them will produce the results you look for on an asphalt road, lots of grip, tire smoke and
    skidmarks. Skidmarks are a hard coded variable in all the materials, selectable on or off
    in the GMLUA. Torque will also default to skidmarks and smoke on a new material that is
    created and not entered into a groundmodel slot.

If your road is dirt simply paint rocky dirt underneath it for the proper dust emission
    and no skidmarks.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Firepower

Firepower
    Expand Collapse

Okay, I understand now (finally :p). Thank you for your detailed answers and thanks to @Driv3r1142 and @Scepheo for the help too :D

19. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

You are welcome. Hopefully my info is straight after 2+ years of dinking around:p.
    Taken me that long to post with confidence on anything T3D related.

20. Firepower

Firepower
    Expand Collapse

Yeah your info is straight since I can see smoke when I brake ;)
    The height limit is a bit annoying though ... do you know how I could fix that without stretching my heightmap ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice